Monday, January 28, 2013
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- The home of a local family was engulfed in flames Monday morning as firefighters arrived to battle the blaze which started in the kitchen.
Occupants of the single-story house on 492 Edwards Court were not home at the time of the incident.
Capt. Tommy Rutledge with the Department of Fire and Emergency Services said the fire caused heavy damage to the home and its contents.
Rutledge said the report came about 10 a.m. from a passerby. "The caller advised that there were vehicles in the driveway, but was unaware if anyone was inside," he said.
On arrival, crews entered the residence to battle the blaze and conduct a search. Firefighters had to back out for a short time due to fire involvement in the attic and flames venting through the roof, Rutledge said.
"Once the fire was knocked down from the exterior, firefighters went back-in to complete extinguishment of hot spots," he said. The fire was under control by 10:30 a.m.
Rutledge said the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen from a pan of grease left on the stove.
Three adults were displaced due to the damage, and the fire department contacted the Red Cross to provide assistance.