Suwanee welcomes another restaurant

SUWANEE -- A sports grill is coming to the ever-changing Suwanee restaurant scene.

A status update on the Friends Sports Grill Facebook page earlier this week said that it would open a third location at Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road and Buford Highway, behind Town Center Park. Owner Ray Stanjevich also owns locations in Dacula and Dawsonville.

The Facebook announcement said, "God has blessed us every day, especially with great employees and the best customers we could ask for. And we thank you all for supporting us! We will let you know the opening date as we get closer to that date. Stay tuned..."

In the last year, about a dozen restaurants have opened in Suwanee, while three prominent eateries -- Olde Towne Tavern & Grille, Moondance Restaurant & Lounge and Cafe Gourmandises -- have recently closed.

The Friends location is in the space formerly occupied by Corralejo Mexican Flair and Tequila Bar, which was opened under two names and two menus in the last two years.

The Friends website said its menu features 115 items, including burgers, salads, steaks, sandwiches and desserts. It also boasts a full bar that serves liquor, 15 wines, 12 draft beers and 35 bottled beers.

Another Facebook post said Friends also has weekend music, team trivia and wing nights.

Comments

kevin 1 year, 2 months ago

Good luck to a sport's bar in Suwanne. We are overloaded with them.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 2 months ago

too many run-of-the-mill resturants in this county already..

RiggaTony 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with the other comments. There are too many restaurants in Suwanee. Please eliminate three.

Why_not 1 year, 2 months ago

I guess we need to let a few angry white men decide who gets business licenses. So much for free enterprise.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 2 months ago

winner -stupid comment of the year

news2me 1 year, 2 months ago

Why_not makes a racist comment that is not even relevant to the news article. SMH.

jjbod1 1 year, 2 months ago

They can what ever they want. The reality is, the location in Dacula is packed just about every night, reason being is they have a good menu with some really good food. I am not one who normally eats at sports bars. But my wife and i go there at least once every 2 weeks. If the new location is of the same quality, the people above will be eating there words.

raystanjevich 1 year, 2 months ago

Just to be clear, Friends is NOT a sports bar. The main focus of a sports bar is sports and drinking. We are a neighborhood grill and bar - along the lines of a Chili's or a similar restaurant. Our focus is food first, and it will always be food. We attract families, youth sports teams, after-church groups and just everyday folks looking for a good and quick place to eat. And, yes, we do have a bunch of TV's in the restaurant. These days people want to be entertained while they dine. Our chicken wings are fresh TYSON only, all our chicken is fresh, white breast meat, we cut our own fresh USDA Choice steaks, we patty our own burgers, make our own dressings and sauces. This alone should tell you that we are not a sports bar. Sports bars are a "freezer to fryer" type of food place.
We hope to be successful in Suwanee as we have been in Dacula and Dawsonville. All we ask is that you give this "mom and pop" grill and bar a try, and then you can decide whether we deserve your business. Thank you!

Coolray 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll plan on patronizing as soon as you're up and running. Keep us posted!

kevin 1 year, 2 months ago

then why use the name Sports, which infers it is a sports bar? If you have plenty of TV's, its a sports bar, period. Every bar & grill tries to attract the customers you are speaking of. Nothing unique about this place. Will have to hope the food is great and the prices are affordable to succeed in Suwanee. When I go out to eat, I like to be entertained with the people I am with, not a TV screen. If people want entertainment, they either go to a grill with a sports event on a TV or a pole dance joint. By the way, if you are the owner, have you read the title of this story and noticed the word "sports?" The word grill or bar is irrelevant. They all serve liquor.

RiggaTony 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with Kevin. In my experience, any business with the word 'Sports' in its title is a sports bar. I have been actively petitioning the city of Snellville to close that monstrous Academy Sports and Outdoors sports bar on 124 since it opened. I've never bothered to go there, but I am sure someone is bound to get hurt.

mwilkers 1 year, 1 month ago

Looking forward to you opening up! I hope it's soon.