As of Thursday, January 24, 2013
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
File Photo — Firefighters pack up their gear after a fire at Dreamland Bar-B-Que Ribs, located on Peachtree Parkway in Peachtree Corners.
LAWRENCEVILLE -- The fire that destroyed a popular Peachtree Corners barbecue joint last week has been ruled accidental, and emergency personnel praised the quick actions of the restaurant's manager.
Gwinnett County firefighters were called to Dreamland BBQ on Peachtree Parkway at about 5:15 p.m. Jan. 16 after a manager noticed smoke in the restaurant's attic. Despite lengthy efforts, the roof burned and collapsed and the building was deemed a total loss.
Department spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden said Thursday that investigators had ruled the blaze accidental.
"The fire was determined to be caused by a neon sign transformer located in the attic space," Rhoden said. "The transformer was not in use by Dreamland BBQ and was a remnant left by the previous tenants of the building."
"It caused an electrical arcing condition in the attic which resulted in the ignition of the building structural members," Rhoden added.
No further investigation into the fire will be completed.
Authorities praised the Dreamland manager on-duty at the time of the fire, crediting him with averting what could have been a mid-dinner rush disaster.
"Due in part to the quick thinking and actions of the manager, many lives were spared," Rhoden said. "His actions not only ensured the safety of those at the restaurant but also assisted the responders to the fire incident."