Boy threatens to kill classmates with knife

SUGAR HILL — A local parent is worried for her son’s safety after a fellow middle school student threatened to kill him. While the incident happened months ago, the student who allegedly made the threat is still on campus, and the mother — Marcia Martin — has told local media she is considering removing her son from Gwinnett County Public Schools.

According to a district spokesman, school administrators at North Gwinnett Middle School learned of the incident on Nov. 12, and “followed appropriate procedures by investigating, contacting the school resource officer and taking the student to a disciplinary panel, where the student was given a disciplinary consequence.”

Administrators made changes to the student’s schedule upon his returning to classes. The district would not comment on the disciplinary consequences.

Spokesman Jorge Quintana said the student’s schedule was switched around “to make sure this student was no longer in any classes with this parent’s child, and therefore the parent was notified as the two students would not have contact during the school day.”

But that isn’t enough, according to Martin.

She said her seventh-grader and other students at North Gwinnett Middle School have been threatened by the 13-year-old boy since November.

A Gwinnett Schools Police report said the boy threatened to kill 14 students with a knife. Officials said they found the boy with a pocket knife, but he wasn’t on school grounds at the time the knife was recovered.

No further information about the student or the disciplinary actions were available.

“The school district and its employees cannot divulge protected information, which includes attendance and details on disciplinary consequences,” Quintana said.

-- The Associated Press contributed to this report

Comments

BufordGuy 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow, scheduled changed to GUARANTEE they won't be in class together. That's got to make that mom feel really good. Hey, Jan, could you go talk to this other kid and see if you can get him to not be so violent? Aren't knives illegal at school?

RiggaTony 1 year, 3 months ago

If we outlaw knives at school, then only outlaws will have knives at school. The answer here is to get more weapons into these schools. Remember, "An armed society is a polite society."

NewsReader 1 year, 3 months ago

Are you seriously going to continue along the lines of this lunacy RiggaTony? This is equally as stupid as your idea to have kids carry guns.

RiggaTony 1 year, 3 months ago

I think the way for the little punk in this story to have really learned his lesson is to find out he brought a knife to gunfight. Guaranteed he wouldn't be picking on anyone after that.

FordGalaxy 1 year, 3 months ago

RiggaTony - While I agree that there should be armed people at the school, it should not be the students. The vast majority of people don't reach a point of solid decision making skills until around age 25. And you want to put guns in the hands of teenagers who more often than not are victims of their own hormones and mood swings?

Cleanupguy 1 year, 3 months ago

Uh-oh - hormones and mood swings could eliminate women from carrying. As Rigga had previously pointed out, lots of kids as young as 5 are pretty responsible, and the more that carry the more likely we'll be that someone would get the bad guy.

NewsReader 1 year, 3 months ago

This is crap. Why is this woman having to even consider pulling her son out of school over this punk. Kick his behind out of school. I don't really care where he goes as long is it isn't there. Nobody should have to make accommodations for this child's actions except this child and his parents.

chpalmer 1 year, 3 months ago

Finally someone who thinks rationally. The real issue here is that we need to address the mental health issues with these children before they grow up to be mentally unstable adults.

Beachnutt 1 year, 3 months ago

Online education is the way to go.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 3 months ago

Absolutely - I have all the facts I need from this article to say - strip him of his rights and burn the witch!

dudley4141 1 year, 3 months ago

I see a major lawsuit in the makings if something is not done about this student. He should not be allowed back at school at all. I'm so glad I moved out of the North Gwinnett Middle district. He was found with a knife but not on school grounds, I bet he tries to bring one to school in the near future and I hope that the school is checking his book bag regular for any knives.

Mack711 1 year, 2 months ago

When someone threatens you it is a verbal assualt. Probably he must do a physical act, like injury another student on school property before anything can be done. By that time some one is seriously hurt. The warning signs are there and action needs to be taken now, not later.

MichelleCouch 1 year, 3 months ago

Why was this child not paneled and sent to the Give center for at risk students in Gwinnett. I know Gwinnett students that have been sent there for far less school policy violations.. Something is very wrong here!!

news2me 1 year, 2 months ago

I am not condoning this punk's actions at all - but why would he threaten 14 kids at once and off schools grounds? Was this an arranged off campus fight? Provoked by who - the "victim" or the "perp"? 14 kids vervus 1 - off campus where there are no adult witnesses. After reading this article several times, I have alot more questions ...

SurelyNot 1 year, 2 months ago

There has to be more to the story. So, I challenge the GDP to get more facts and answer all the above questions. We really need better reporting. Otherwise, the public is left to gossip, interpret, and project their own answers to questions. That is how agitation starts...and it sells. GDP, rise above that and do better reporting.

Lucy1 1 year, 2 months ago

this student should have already been evaluated in treated in inpatient psych unit and released with appropriate counseling and follow up requirements. Here is where the Mental Health system is not be properly utilized. I am sure the parents don't know how to handle this........................and the students should not have to deal with this. INPATIENT - proper treatment, mandatory

gwinnettresident1 1 year, 2 months ago

I just want to know where is Jans big mouth now...

Kay1 1 year, 2 months ago

Not sure what is going on with GCPS system... My son (in elementary school) was threatened to be stabbed by a 4th grader a couple months ago on the bus. This kid told him he would bring a knife to school and cut his throat... I contacted the police and was referred to the "school police officer" due to it being their jurisdiction. I then called the GCPS transportation department and the school principle. Conclusion - this kid got ONE day off the bus and ONE day of in-school suspension. Oh, and that's only because he admitted to threatening my son. If he had lied about it, nothing would have happened (per the principal). The kid is still on the bus... at least they listened when I requested that he be moved to the front of the bus instead of my son. Gee Thanks! I guess when this kid attacks somebody, maybe they will re-think their policy.

FordGalaxy 1 year, 2 months ago

You really trust a teenager, or even younger, with a handgun? These are people who make purely emotional decisions. They're not developed enough to make rational choices.

jack 1 year, 2 months ago

I think folks are failing to appreciate Tony's tongue-in-cheek humor.

clarenemeth 1 year, 2 months ago

The system follows certain protocols because of state and federal regulations. If the student receives special education services, there are extra hoops that need to be jumped through....believe me...I retired after 37 years in special ed. It is a frustrating scenerio and it gets more rediculous

Gwinnettsince1991 1 year, 2 months ago

So what happens if this student does something to his new classmates? Aren't our tax dollars more at risk in a lawsuit because GCPS decided to kick the can down the road and hope nothing bad happens?

Coolray 1 year, 2 months ago

Parents?

Why is the focus on GPS? My question is where are the parent(s) of this troubled young man? Yes, the article doesn't answer all the relevant questions but I don't believe GDP could get to the truth because of the age of the young man.

Somebody knows this kid and his parent(s), your job is to ask what they're doing to correct his troubled behavior and protect society from a tragedy. (See Newtown, CT)

chasmcjr 1 year, 2 months ago

Obviously they are doing nothing. Unfortunately, not that unusual and there is not much that can be done until something actually happens.

SvilleChef 1 year, 2 months ago

I saw this story on channel 2 and was hoping that the GDP would print the details. The WSB report said that the mom had not contacted the school. I sounds like rather than contacting the school to investigate the situation, she went to the media instead. That tells me everything I need to know about this mom and this situation.
My son was a special needs student in a Gwinnett school up until last year when he graduated. The last 3 years he was there, he was in a class with another special needs student who did this very same thing, threatened his classmates at times. During conferences, us parents of other students in the class were told of this along with other challenges that this student presented.
All the things you folks are discussing go out the window if the student who made the threat is a special needs student. I know plenty of other special needs parents who will get a lawyer in a heartbeat if the special needs of their student aren't taken into account in the special needs classroom they are in when things like this occur.
In this story, this student is a regular ed student that I am guessing was threatened by a special needs student. The mom didn't take the time to get details from the school and this type of info can't be released by the school or the county. So we will probably never know the details.
So withhold your judgement and harsh comments of the school and the school system. I'm sure they handled the situation the best they could, otherwise, the student who made the threats would no longer be at the school. Get the facts before you render your harsh judgements!