Former wrestling champ arrested on prowling charges

Tsvetomir Petrushev

Tsvetomir Petrushev

DULUTH -- A two-time state wrestling champion was arrested this week after a neighbor reportedly spotted him prowling around his own neighborhood.

Tsvetomir Petrushev, 18, was arrested Monday by Duluth police and charged with prowling and obstruction of a law enforcement officer. Gwinnett County jail records show Petrushev -- a state champion wrestler as a freshman and sophomore at Peachtree Ridge High School -- was released the next day on $2,600 bond.

According to an incident report obtained by the Daily Post, a Duluth police officer responded to a home on Willgrove Court at about 11:35 a.m. Monday after a woman reported seeing "a male in her backyard crouched down in between trees for several minutes."

"The suspect was walking across and squatted in the corner of my yard," the complainant told police. "He sat there for several minutes looking out through the branches in both directions."

When the officer arrived, the male later identified as Petrushev reportedly fled down a hill. The officer said he deployed his Taser in the teen's direction but missed. He allegedly detained Petrushev "using minimal force" behind a home on Willgrove Way.

As it turned out, the home was Petrushev's own.

"He stated ... that he was waiting for his mother to leave home before he went to his house," the officer wrote in his report. "He then stated he was in the wood line because he was taking a new trail to his house."

Nonetheless, he was placed under arrest.

According to the officer: "I placed Mr. Petrushev under arrest ... based on the (witness') statement, my observations that there was no trail in that area where the suspect was crouched down, the fact that no one was at Mr. Petrushev's house so he could (have) gone home at any time, the fact that he was hiding in the wood line while it was raining for an extended period of time, and that he ran as soon as he observed the police."

Petrushev has not wrestled since his championship sophomore season. In Sept. 2011, he was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries -- including a chipped pelvis, broken jaw and severe head trauma -- after a police officer found him unconscious on a Norcross road.

Original reports had him walking home from his girlfriend's house when he was struck by a hit-and-run driver. Instead, police later determined that Petrushev likely had fallen or jumped from a moving vehicle while intoxicated.


BurritoJones 2 years, 6 months ago

Anyone else really creeped out by that mug shot?


Sign in to comment