LETTERS: Loss of principles leads to moral decline

Loss of principles leads to national moral decline

I most certainly agree with the recent letter from Raymond Woziniak that Georgia's mental health and corrections public agencies have deteriorated since the late '70s. Our prison system now often functions "as the waste bin for the mentally disabled." The ACLU, among others, has effectively required the release of supposedly nonviolent "mentally impaired" offenders.

But there is more to it than that. I believe that the problem of moral rot extends way beyond the deterioration of services extended to the mentally impaired. I strongly believe the deterioration of, and in fact attack upon our reliance on religious guidelines, and indeed the Ten Commandments, has contributed to the failure of our belief of moral values. I am a religious person, although not a "bible thumper," but believe that our failure to support basic traditional moral principles is the main reason for the moral decline of our nation.

-- Ernest Wade

Loganville

Insurance industry will ensure direct pay idea fails

The direct-pay doc idea mentioned in Nate McCullough's column has come and gone many years ago ("Direct-pay doc an idea whose time has come," Jan. 4, 6A). In the 1950s, my mother would bring me to the doctor's office or the doctor would come to my apartment to give medical treatment.

My mother paid the doctor directly. No insurance companies interfered with physician-patient decision-making. For many reasons, this practice faded decades ago.

Of course McCullough's direct-pay doc idea makes a lot of sense. But how many physicians can earn a living seeing patients at $35 a month and $15 per visit? Very few.

Let's face it: Insurance companies have mightily profited by the current health care system and do not ever want to change it. Our country has the highest cost of health care in the world yet ranks 37th in health care indices according to the World Health Organization.

Yes, let us minimize health care costs for everyone. But the direct-pay doc is not likely to become the primary means of receiving health care again.

-- Torin Togut

Lawrenceville

Comments

kevin 1 year, 3 months ago

So God is now a "mythological" being! What planet do you come from? I guess you have never read a Bible or other book. You are the perfect example in this written "opinion" that adds to the crash of America. Like any other so-called "atheist," for lack of a more humane word, you pick and choose what parts of the Bible you need to use to attack the rest of the world's Christians. Sorry, but you are outnumbered and we all hope that God will change you before you go tot he next life. It is never too late for you non-believers. Go for it and come back and tell us where you ended up. I dare you to talk to a priest!

FordGalaxy 1 year, 3 months ago

A_Gwinnett_Atheist & Kevin - Christ was once asked what was the greatest commandment. His reply was to love God with all your heart and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself. He went on to say that upon those two thoughts hung all the Law and prophets (Matthew 22:35-40). It's no stretch to see that if you love God and your neighbor then you won't steal from them, you won't kill them, you won't covet what they have. Among the commandments in the Mosaic Law is "Thou shalt not covet..." some people say your neighbor's wife, your neighbors goods, etc. In fact, the only thing I have found the Bible to explicitly instruct people to covet is the "best gifts" of God (1 Cor. 12:31).

A_Gwinnett_Atheist - Just a thought, and in no way meaning any offense, but you say that some Christians pick only certain parts of the Bible and choose to enforce them without relying on the whole context. You write this as though it is a bad thing, which I can find myself agreeing with. However, you then go on to tell Kevin that [he] would be a better Christian if [he] would do exactly what you just called out as a bad thing (you say emphasize the golden rule over the ten commandments, which is choosing to emphasize one part over another).

A_Gwinnett_Atheist 1 year, 3 months ago

Congratulations, Kevin! You have proven that GDP has a sever prejudice against atheist. They not only removed my response to you, they even removed the statement of mine to which you responded. Strange how they are unwilling to allow an open discussion of religion. I guess their faith is not as strong as yours. I do wonder what some would think reading the article and thinking you were commenting on it, maybe this explanation will help.

FordGalaxy 1 year, 3 months ago

What's odd is that the posts stayed up for over 20 hours, as I was able to respond to you both. They actually disappeared as I was writing my comment.

kevin 1 year, 3 months ago

You should look up "The gifts of the Holy Spirit" and read them a few times before denouncing religion.

A_Gwinnett_Atheist 1 year, 3 months ago

I have but I don't limit my reading to such a small portion. I have studied the Bible and books from other religions. The Bible is a conglomerate of writings by different authors. In portions of the Bible, you can even recognize the influence of previous writers and even misinterpretation of older passages. But I do not desire to give you a lesson in theology. If you are comfortable with your religion and it helps you a more moral life, then stick to it. If it pushes you to believe that activities such as the Spanish Inquisition are legitimate, then you really should do more studying and not allow yourself to be manipulated.

kevin 1 year, 3 months ago

Try reading the Old Testament first. You can't convince me you read any of this. Maybe one day you will repent before you take your last breath and all of a sudden, everything will fall into place for you. The word of God means more to me than anything you could ever write here! I have never stopped reading and learning about my religion. At least I have one to learn about. I can thank my mom & dad for that.