Lilburn trail connection under way

LILBURN -- A state grant is helping county officials to build a key trail connection to Lilburn's Camp Creek Greenway.

The work was approved last month to add a bike and pedestrian link from the greenway to Lions Club Park, a former city park that the county is renovating.

The new 0.8-mile trail provides a path to the city's popular 2-mile greenway.

The 90-day construction, which will be performed by the Astra Group, includes a new 700-foot boardwalk, asphalt trail and a 60-foot-long concrete bridge underpass at Rockbridge Road along Camp Creek, a press release said.

"I am excited to see greenway projects link communities and parks," Commissioner Lynette Howard said. "Connections like this one contribute to good health and make Gwinnett County an even better place to live, work and play."

More than a third of the $260,000 construction cost will come from a $100,000 Recreation Trails Grant from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. The remainder comes from sales tax funding.

In the future, leaders hope to extend the trail south through the greenway to reach Harmony Grove Park.

Comments

NorcrossDot 1 year, 3 months ago

With all the current problems facing our Cities, Counties, States and Federal government to find that we are still spending money on bike trails, etc. That's why i vote no on every tax increase at every level. The governments at all levels have proven over and over again that they can not and are not responsible stewards of our dollars.

Refuse to give them more until we hopefully get some responsible, ethical politicians. At this point the term "Ethical politicians is an oxymoron".

Why_not 1 year, 3 months ago

I assume from your name "NorcrossDot" that you live in Norcross. I would tend to think that the citizens of Lilburn are more than capable of making sure their elected officials are handling their tax dollars wisely without input from someone that apparently does not even pay taxes in the city. A tremendous amount of people use these walking paths on a daily basis. Maybe you should allow the people from Lilburn to handle this since it obviously doesn't affect you at all.

R 1 year, 3 months ago

AH Pssst, its a STATE grant... Being spent by Gwinnett County.

Meaning STATE funding and NORCROSS is still in the state right?

NorcrossDot 1 year, 3 months ago

Sure it does. Where do you think the money comes from? Government produces nothing. Taxpayers - Federal and State grants come from every taxpayer and actually Norcross is my mailing address. I live closer to Lilburn. And did the Lilburn citizens get to vote on this? Wake up!

snellvillemike 1 year, 3 months ago

Well wait a minute $100,000 comes from the state of georgia Dept of Nat Resources These are not the city of Lilburn dollars Just a percentage of lilburn dollars, so we as citizens of the great state of Georgia have a dog in this fight. Do not disparage the Norcross writer. Personally, I like the trails and when they are built, the trails are great if we can keep the thieves and vagrants away. This will be the challenge. Good luck on the trail. I just see it as a problem area that will attract crime. Our society has gone to the pits.

NorcrossDot 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks snellvilliemike. You are so correct. Just look a Lucky Shoals Park. I wouldn't drive through there even in the daytime.

jjbod1 1 year, 3 months ago

I really love reading comments from idiots who whine and complain every time the county builds a new park or expands the bike ways and greenways. My bet is every one of them don't even know what its like to exercise for even 5 minutes. They complain about the money being spent, but im sure they have no problem spending money to eat at fast food restaurants every day. I also love the people who say these trails just bring crime. WRONG!!! Do the real research my friends. It has been proven to help generate tax dollars from the people who are active in there lives in the areas they are at. Let me give you a example. Yesterday my wife and i visited the brand new beltway in Atlanta to ride our bikes. While there, we stopped and ate lunch at one restaurant, and later in the evening we bought and ate dinner at another in the city, not to mention I also went to a gas station there and bought gas and bottles of water. The Silver comet trail has helped generate alot of revenue along its entire path. Yes there has been some crime over the years, but what, once every 3-4 years if you break it down? I say bravo Lilburn! I have biked that path a couple times and look forward to coming out and riding the new section. Also, for all you who love to get there panty's in a wad, just wait until they start the next 2 mile section of the Ivy Creek greenway this spring, which will also include bathrooms. Cant wait to hear the complaining about that on : )

R 1 year, 3 months ago

You purchased fuel and ADDED air pollutants to get YOUR fix ,,,

Please enough with the condescending comments about those you look down upon. Trails are indeed wonderful additions, but they are NOT 911 EMS/Police services and when money is TIGHT with governments in all directions increasing millage rates, taxes or BOTH - wise individuals tend to make sure the basics are covered before nice to haves are "added".

Sometimes its just the order, or it's not an appropriate time to spend like it's 1999...

And as RATES increase with needs curtailed from real budgets, you bet we'll be here screaming to point them out.

If you have money to burn GREAT, please feel free to give above and beyond to ALL government levels - they'll surely love you for it. But more and more out here DON'T have the extra margin to "give" anymore. Anyone who can't or WON'T acknowledge that is dishonest at best, misguided or ....

jjbod1 1 year, 3 months ago

If thats the case you add pollutants to the air every time you get in your own car to go to work , the store Ect. Stupid point. The $$ that comes to build these trails come from special funds to do so. In many cases , from tax dollars that many of us vote for, and I will continue to vote for. And also while we are on the subject, why yes i do contribute and will continue to contribute to many of the foundations who do ask for public donations to build some of the greenways in various areas. Path Foundation gets a huge donation every year from both myself and a company that i am part owner of. There going to be built, like it or not. Have a great week : )

NorcrossDot 1 year, 3 months ago

That was my point exactly. I have no problem with parks and trails when times are good. Times have not and will not be good for a long, long time. And jjbod1 you don't know me but I will tell you I haven't eaten out anywhere in quite a while. You see I'm holding on to my money (except what the government takes from me) to be able to support myself when the crash course we are on comes to a finale. I have food and supplies stored up - do you?

jjbod1 1 year, 3 months ago

If your seriously holding on to your cash and staying away from eating establishments, I can honestly say congrats. I myself really dont eat out all that often myself, i am very conservative with how i spend my money, and blowing it in restaurants on a regular basis is not my thing. Now that is not saying I never do. The past weekend was a once or twice a month thing. But also by us or anyone else not eating out, it then creates problems for those business owners and there employees. But that is another subject. The gov is going to continue to blow money on pet projects, be it parks, roads to no where, or paying people to create junky art to put up in government buildings. I have learned to accept it, and enjoy the things that I personally like that they blow cash on. Just for the record, my wifes family grew up in the mountains, so she was taught how to can and stash food. I think we are ready for any major downfall. And more people really should also think that way : )

R 1 year, 3 months ago

@JJbod

"And also while we are on the subject, why yes i do contribute and will continue to contribute to many of the foundations who do ask for public donations to build some of the greenways in various areas. Path Foundation gets a huge donation every year from both myself and a company that i am part owner of."

You do realize that supporting PRIVATE foundations is a world of difference from forced TAX participation? Private groups such as what you mention and Nature Conservancy, Ducks Unlimited etc. are excellent examples of the many vehicles out there in the private sector for our environment. For the record, you might be surprised just how in shape some of us dissenters to " the addition of added public burdens" can really be.

However,I couldn't help but notice in your reply that as a business owner you clearly didn't admit to paying a greater amount above and beyond your fair share of required TAX burden at ANY level - either corporately or privately.

I imagine those DONATIONS you cite for YOUR benefit probably REDUCE the end tax levy somewhat too. That's good, that's legal and it's your right, as is the attempt others are making to SLOW spending down generally to REDUCE "forced" government expenses that aren't ABSOLUTELY needed RIGHT NOW in the near term.

Besides I believe we can both agree that PATH or Nature Conservancy as private based entities will not respond to a 911 call should we need a police cruiser or ambulance.

The government should focus on the core services in tight times and shelve, table or extend projects if additional general fund expenditures are required in years 2 and following to operate, staff or maintain "nice to haves" during this extraordinary economic time.

There going to be built, like it or not. Have a great week : )

It MAY be built, but it won't be without heartburn being experienced by those in government who develop or appropriate FORCED taxpayer funding.

Seems only fair that the ever present whining for evermore tax dollars by our elected at all levels needs to be met with even LOUDER whining that the well is dangerously close to dry - use the remainder wisely, the REAL drought may be just around the corner.

R 1 year, 3 months ago

And one last entry for any who may stumble upon this article, here's a link to the GA state budget 2013 session that's about to begin...

Do we REALLY have funds for all these grants right now? Enjoy

"Some estimates of Georgia’s projected shortfall for next year will already be near $1 Billion. Taking away another $650 Million if the bed tax isn’t renewed has the state moving the wrong way, especially since about $400 Million of this year’s projected shortfall is caused by an already underfunded and growing Medicaid program."

gregmack 1 year, 3 months ago

You all are making good points. Just keep in mind that whenever we create a budget, it is wise to put money aside for future growth that covers the operations and maintenance as well. And a lot of times when we do vote the actual projects may not get done until a future date. It's important that we hold elected officials accountable, but lets not forget how our form of government works (it's unwise to expect our representative will vote the "right" way on every vote - sometimes we have to compromise - but it's the whole of the matter we want to evaluate). I agree that these are some hard times, but the old saying still holds true, "divided we fall, together we stand" (something like that). Lets work together recognizing that no one is perfect, but working together will allow for chance at a better ending.

pondering 1 year, 3 months ago

I am a decades long tax payer in Lilburn. No, we did not vote for this expansion. No, we do not want it. The administration wants it. An informal poll in our neighborhood, 80% say it is a waste. You cannot go to the city meetings and speak, you will be ushered out if you do not agree with them.Our money would be better spent cleaning up and making safe what we already have. We do not go out after dark around here anymore. The city will not enforce codes they write. At one point a city employee was told not to enforce the codes in our neighborhood. And they don't. We cannot even walk down the street without fear of being run over by a speeder, with no drivers license or insurance at that. We need to fix what is broke before we build more. The walkways and parks are of no value if the people using them would not even live here due to the conditions. The city does nothing to protect my property values.

LilburnRes 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, we like the Greenway Trail. In the short term the trail will end at Gwinnett County Parks and Rec Lion's Club baseball/softball park. This allows allows local residents and players to get from Killian Hill Rd through Lilburn City Park (passing by the playground we LOVE) across Main St to the other side of the Greenway trail and get to Lion's Club.

See master design plan: http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static/departments/parks_rec/pdf/Lions%20Club%20Park%20.pdf

LilburnLady 1 year, 3 months ago

I love the idea of spending our tax dollars on things that actually benefit the taxpayers. Anyone can use these trails. Doesn't matter if you live in Lilburn, Norcross or Atlanta. We all benefit by having a healthier populace, Healthier, less stressed people have lower health care costs and that is reflected in health insurance cost savings across the board. If we are going to have to cover health care costs for others under Obamacare, then it is to all of our best interests to have access to exercise facilities for everyone regardless of age, income level or location.

For anyone to complain about a walking trail as inviting crime, is ludicrous. Lucky Shoals park is surrounded by a higher crime area. This greenway is not. You can bet if there is crime going on in a park, it is the result of criminal elements who already live nearby.

Regardless of whether or not you use the greenway/path, you also benefit if you live nearby through higher property values. Homes in Cobb County that have access to the Silver Comet trail command higher prices than similar homes that aren't nearby. The new "must haves" for younger and older home buyers is to live in a "walkable" community. I think this is a very wise use of our tax dollars. Much more so, than bulding toll lanes on the interstates or streetcar tracks on Peachtree Street.

R 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm sorry but I do respectfully challenge this claim of a higher rate of return on homes located on the path mentioned. Please feel free to post the real estate data and the year the snapshot was taken.

As to the toll lanes or the street car car I concur, but that is as about as supportive as saying someone "is smarter than a houseplant" While indeed true most of the time, its really not going to sway many in the discussion.

jjbod1 1 year, 3 months ago

For all you who love to get worked up over these type of projects, here is another : ) West Gwinnett Bikeway to be extended by 2 more miles

Gwinnett commissioners approved a construction contract recently to extend the multi-purpose trail known as the Western Gwinnett Bikeway.

The extension will add more than two miles along Peachtree Industrial Boulevard north to Rogers Bridge Road from its current end at Pleasant Hill Road in Duluth.

The 10-foot wide asphalt trail provides a bike and pedestrian path connecting high-density residential communities and several commercial areas. The project includes some roadway widening with curb and gutter, building retaining walls where needed to stay within the right-of-way and upgrading a few existing trail sections along the route. When completed, the trail will connect Norcross, Berkeley Lake and Duluth to provide alternative transportation options and improve pedestrian safety for area residents.

Johnson Landscapes Inc., d/b/a Vertical Earth of Cumming, was the lowest of four bidders for the project at $1.3 million. Federal funding will cover 80 percent of the construction costs while the 2009 SPLOST will fund the local portion shared by Gwinnett County and the city of Duluth. Construction should be finished this year.

LilburnsFuture 1 year, 3 months ago

NorcrossDot lost me as soon as she mentioned bike trails. There is no mention of bike trails. As for spending when times are good, Lilburn spent much less than Norcross did for their extravigant Lillian Webb Park. So, the two legs NorcrossDot has to stand on puts NorcrossDot on the seat cushion. While Pondering is a decades old tax payer, I would be rather disappointed with what Lilburn has to offer. Apparently, they have been keeping their seeds in a jar instead of planting them in the field. When times were good, Lilburn did not improve infrustructure as other cities did. The population in the early 2000s did not increase in Lilburn as in much of the rest of the county. I would not consider a new Dollar Tree store growth for a small town such as Lilburn. In my opinion, these dollars are reasonably spent. The scale is smaller in this time than it could have been "under good times".