Broun stirs crowd in Dacula

Paul Broun

Paul Broun

DACULA -- Michael Miller's friends have encouraged him to get behind Congressman Paul Broun's race for Senate.

But Miller had to see for himself.

On Tuesday, he saw his new congressman in action, as Broun held his first town hall meeting in Gwinnett since his district lines shifted to include eastern portions of the county.

"I'm a ticked off constituent," the Dacula man said. "I want to hear you stand up for me because I'm ticked off. ... We can't afford the government that we have now."

Broun, a doctor from Athens, said he shared Miller's frustration.

He told the crowd about his efforts to return to the original intent of the Constitution, from writing bills to return to the gold standard to standing alone as the only Republican to vote against a measure stopping salaries for congressmen if a budget is not passed because it would have suspended the nation's debt ceiling.

"I'm a Marine and I'm fighting for liberty," Broun said. "Sometimes it can be a lonely place, but it's a very necessary quest."

About 100 people crowded into Dacula's small council chambers to hear from the congressman, who announced a race for the U.S. Senate earlier this month.

Most cheered Broun for his conservative stance on issues like gun rights and abolishing the federal department of education, but they questioned why little has been done to curtail spending in Washington.

Bob Lutz, who came to the town hall meeting to discuss a personal issue with his home, expressed his frustration.

"Somebody's got to take this guy (President Barack Obama), take him out to the woodshed and tell this guy just because he got re-elected doesn't make him a monarch," he said. "You're not doing us a darn bit of good and you won't do us a darn bit of good until we have another election."

Twice, Broun quoted Scripture: Hosea 4:6, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge."

And he passed out copies of the Constitution as people entered.

Expressing frustration that he can't even get his own party leadership to work on one of his bills, Broun encouraged people to put "heat" on politicians.

"Most people just don't know how far we've gotten from the original intent of the Constitution," he said. "We've got to send these powers back to the state."

Comments

BufordGuy 1 year, 7 months ago

Another bit of Scripture. "A voice crying in the wilderness....." We will NEVER get back to the original intent of the Constitution, especially with all these politicians trying to play Santa Clause.

FordGalaxy 1 year, 7 months ago

Isn't this the same guy who decried perfectly reasonable science as "lies form the pits of Hell?" Ironic, then, that he says we are "destroyed for a lack of knowledge."

BuzzG 1 year, 7 months ago

How refreshing it would be to see someone like this in the U.S. Senate. Saxby Chambliss has been a get along, go along kind of senator at a time when our debt has been increasing at more than a trillion dollars a year. We need someone up there who will stir things up and hand Obama and the big spending Democrats their butts.

DavidBrown 1 year, 7 months ago

BuzzG, what about Congressman Broun's four marriages and three children by three different women? Aren't you a social conservative/family values/respect for the sanctity of marrige guy?

Say_that_again 1 year, 7 months ago

Haven't you figured out the code yet. Putting an R by your name makes you exempt from the need to have any family values or to be reasonable. These criteria are reserved for those with a D by their name. If we had non partisan elections (i.e. no primary) and candidates were not listed with a party identifier, Broun wouldn't have a chance of winning. If he wins the republican nomination, then he has a chance in the general with the support of those that will hold their nose and vote for the guy with the R even if they know the guy with a D is better qualified.

news2me 1 year, 7 months ago

DavidBrown strikes again. This is comment # 4 from you in regards to what happens in this man's bedroom. Disgusting and disturbing that you cannot get him off your brain.

suedehead 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm constantly amazed at how you speak as though you know me. As I said before, YOU are the one that calls me a self proclamed gay skinhead, not me. As a 6'6" 240lbs, former college DE I may be gay but hardly look or act like a "gay skinhead", whatever the heck that is. Please source your definition, because I sure can't find it. The name comes from a British trend in the 70's, a song from the 80's and having a buzzed head. Just being fun here. But guess what? Not all gay men are the stereotypes you and the media want to perpetuate. But whatever gets you through life, dude. YOU are the one that thinks my life is misery and full of hatred, not me. Projection, sir? It seems in most of your comments you're the one that's angry and miserable.

Typical, is what you are. Rather than answer the question, you attack me with absolutley no basis or fact in defining who you think I am. Again, why can't his personal life be subject for debate? If this was ANYONE but a Republican, he/she would be ripped apart by your ilk.

news2me 1 year, 7 months ago

Inbox your bio to DavidBrown, sounds like he might be interested ...

If you don't want to be judged, stop injecting your lifestyle choice into practically every topic that comes up on this site. A change in your username would be a good start. The stereotyping starts and ends with you. You invite the controversary, which ultimately continues to damage your agenda. A majority of Republicans and Democrats look down on your demands and choices - but at least Republicans are brutally honest on where we stand. It is the ones within your own political affilitation that are your biggest enemies .....

suedehead 1 year, 7 months ago

Inbox your bio to DavidBrown, sounds like he might be interested ...

How old are you, 12?

Never said anything about being judged and don't care what you think of me. YOU DO NOT MATTER. Rarely comment on these boards and have the same rights as you to express my opinion. I also can have any username I want no matter what idiots like you think it means. Never inviting controversy and have no agenda, but the days of hiding and being second class are over. LIVE WITH IT.

Sir, you started this bs with me about a month ago. I suggest you end the harrassment.

Again I ask, why isn't his personal life a valid subject?

news2me 1 year, 7 months ago

why isn't his personal life a valid subject?

Where did I say that his lifestyle wasn't a valid subject? Where did I post that I would ever support him and his run for US Senate? My comments are just as public as yours. My comments have been directed towards so called happily married DavidBrown and his obssession with Paul Broun.

Enter suedehead: beating your chest about gayness, yet again. My comments, as well as yours, are easily verified. I think anyone will find that you have the problem with anger issues, not me.

If you don't care what I think, why continue to post well after I have posted initally on any subject? Sounds as if you are totally oblivious to the definition of harrassment as well.

Why_not 1 year, 7 months ago

Trying to reason with New2me is a total waste of time.

news2me 1 year, 7 months ago

LMAO @ Why_not, your lies are on display for public consumption. As well as your obsession and stalking of kevin. Thanks for the kind words! ;)

BufordGuy 1 year, 7 months ago

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone....

Bri 1 year, 7 months ago

Broun has stated, "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. It’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior. There’s a lot of scientific data that I found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I believe that the Earth is about 9,000 years old."

Why_not 1 year, 7 months ago

And he serves on the Congressional Science Committee.

kmn 1 year, 7 months ago

Only two systems in Washington tax and spend or borrow and spend.

DavidBrown 1 year, 7 months ago

"news2me", were you that insouciant when President Clinton was involved with Monica Lewinsky?

suedehead 1 year, 7 months ago

I'll bet $20 he had to look up the definition of "insouciant."

Oops, there i go again with my agenda, demands and choices.

news2me 1 year, 7 months ago

Your first "official" public contact .... don't let me interrupt! ;)

news2me 1 year, 7 months ago

DavidBrown, you really should put some deep thought into your questions BEFORE you post them. SMH, yet again.

To answer your question point on: No, I was not "insouciant" over President Clinton's sex acts in the White House, I was OUTRAGED!

You (DavidBrown) are actually comparing Sex Acts performed numerous times in the Oval Office by then so-called happily married President Clinton --- to a 4 time married man that has just announced his run for US Senate?

WTH

dman 1 year, 7 months ago

While is I disagree with DBrown 99% of the time, I, too, have an issue with someone that has some questionable morals. 4 marriages, 3 different kids...that tells me he has commitment issues. Unless you tell me all his previous wives passed away? Then I retract my statement. He sounds like an NBA player!

BufordGuy 1 year, 7 months ago

Again, let he who is without sin, cast the first stone....

dman 1 year, 7 months ago

Never suggested that I was without sin, nor was I casting a stone. Just my opinion, that Mr. Broun should keep his own house straight before he thinks he can handle being someone's else reprensentative in another "house." DEAR ALL POLITICIANS: if you have issues or "skeletons", then seriously think about running if you don't want people to dig into your past.
Just a thought. :)