Obama to visit Georgia childhood learning center

U.S. President Barack Obama speaks in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, January 24, 2013.

President Barack Obama plans to visit an early childhood learning center outside Atlanta, where arrangements are being made for some students now on winter break to return to class one day for the visit.

Obama intends to visit the College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center on Thursday in Decatur, just east of Atlanta, said Decatur City Schools spokeswoman Courtney Burnett.

"He wants to see the school," Burnett told The Associated Press on Monday. "People are excited."

The president's visit comes during the school system's winter break, but Burnett said the learning center will open Thursday. A letter to parents offered students the opportunity to come to school to be part of the president's visit, Burnett said.

Further details of the president's visit, including the timeframe, have not been released.

College Heights has about 300 students and offers early learning programs for infant, toddler, preschool, and pre-kindergarten students "through a unique partnership with City Schools of Decatur, and Partners for Community Action Inc. (Head Start Program)," according to its website.

The White House has said that Obama plans to travel to two Southern states after his State of the Union address on Tuesday. A stop in Asheville, N.C., on Wednesday will be followed by Thursday's visit to metro Atlanta.

The White House also hasn't released details of Obama's visit.

Comments

TOWG 1 year, 2 months ago

Obama is coming to Atlanta to visit a school that isn't open. You can't make up stuff funnier than that. That shows you how stupid they think we are.

John5214 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree TOWG, but Obamarama has been fooling most of the people for over 5 years now. Until those people get a brain, this will continue to happen.

BSMITH97 1 year, 2 months ago

The 51% that voted for Obama are only thinking about their free stuff over the last five years...

BurritoJones 1 year, 2 months ago

Um.. the article plainly states he's visiting during the winter break. The school will be closed, but students are invited to come if they wish. There's no failed masquerade here.

I mean, seriously? Is hating on every article that mentions the man some kind of hobby?

news2me 1 year, 2 months ago

I mean, seriously? Is this Bush's Fault because His Royal Highness Obama picks to visit a school that is closed for break? Is it Bush's Fault that you have forgotten the ad naseum whines on the blogosphere of Bush's Fault during his presidency?

Do you plan on taking your tacos to Decatur for a bit of space filler? Because it won't be Bush's Fault if there are not enough worshippers during a planned (masquerade) school break.

BurritoJones 1 year, 2 months ago

Are you being serious? Because you felt Bush was persecuted that justifies pulling your hair out over a non-story that involves Obama?

I would be rolling my eyes just as hard at anyone complaining about Clinton, Bush or Romney visiting a school. It's a public official visiting a new school for a photo op. It's just a PR visit. WHO CARES?

Apparently you do. Because Bush was picked on by some mean person all those years ago, and an eye for an eye makes for righteous justice or something.

news2me 1 year, 2 months ago

WHO CARES? Well apparently you do. You are the one that chose to defend Obama and his visit with imaginary students at a school in ITP liberal $ Decatur. Why not visit Grayson High School? So black teenagers killing themselves over shoes is not worthy of His Excellence?

Suck it up. You voted for him.

BurritoJones 1 year, 2 months ago

Unbelievable. Had this been Bush visiting the school you wouldn't have batted an eye. If Obama had visited while the school was in session you would have shaken your fist in anger over Obama mucking up school sessions for his indoctrination of students.

You're not being objective or principled. You're being petty. Grow up.

And please don't infer anything about my voting record. You don't know a thing about me - including what my username is in reference to. I swear I can't get a response out of you without "little tacos" coming out.

BurritoJones 1 year, 2 months ago

I point out your hypocracy and you misdirect it into a series of personal attacks, and I'm the one not conducting myself intelligently? You're attempting to bully me for not agreeing with you, all while completely avoiding the point I made that had Bush done this, you would not have cared.

Impressive work though, going through all that effort of opening my profile. I'm impressed. I think this is the most thought I've seen you put into a post yet.

BurritoJones 1 year, 2 months ago

You're right though. Had I known that my opinion would be invalidated by my username I would have gone with something smarter - possibly replacing words with numbers. I hear the smart kids do that these days.

Or maybe "you suck", since your shining example has taught me that attacking others is the best way to show your brilliance.

news2me 1 year, 2 months ago

Burrito cries: You're attempting to bully me. No, not attempting, I have mastered the liberal art form thanks to you. You have successfully showed me how to get under your thin flour shell.

And to answer your silly "pay attention to me" question - had Bush done this, you would not have cared. - um, the answer is No, I would not have cared! You are more than welcome to search for evidence to the contrary though. The Bush's Fault game is a classic - invented by the left and enjoyed by the right.

Thanks for the compliment on my user name - replacing words with numbers. I hear the smart kids do that these days. news2me