0

Accidental cooking fire displaces 7 Norcross residents

NORCROSS -- Firefighters spent half an hour Saturday afternoon extinguishing a blaze that damaged four units at the Valencia Park Apartment Homes on Springs Lane.

A resident in the apartments called for help about 4:50 p.m. stating that there was a grease fire and the kitchen was in flames.

"When crews arrived to the incident, they noticed smoke showing from the two-story apartment building that has eight separate units," fire department spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden said. "The crews quickly started the actions of evacuating residents and actively searching for the origin of the blaze."

To secure the utilities, the power was turned off to the other units of the building. The fire was contained in the apartment of the fire origin. Crews found the fire behind the stove and extinguished the blaze.

A total of four units are displaced. The apartment manager was able to house the families who live in the units without electricity and gas. The Red Cross is assisting the seven residents displaced by the fire.

"There was substantial fire damage and damage from firefighting efforts in the kitchen of the apartment of origin," Rhoden said. "The fire cause was determined to be an accidental cooking fire by the Battalion Chief on the scene."

No injuries were reported.