Woman arrested for spanking customer's child

The Associated Press

WRIGHTSVILLE -- A dollar store employee has been arrested for simple battery after whipping a customer's child with a belt.

It was reported that surveillance cameras inside a Wrightsville dollar store recorded an 8-year-old boy running around the store and eventually throwing a cookie jar at 39-year-old Emilia Graciela Bell.

Authorities said Bell took off her belt, chased the boy down and spanked him behind the counter.

The boy's father called police and Bell was taken into custody. Police said she was free on bond Friday.

Wrightsville is about 60 miles east of Macon.

Comments

eme45 1 year, 5 months ago

He threw a cookie jar at her???? What were his parents doing while he was running around? She should be rewarded, not arrested.

MissDaisyCook 1 year, 5 months ago

Good for her! Maybe she could spank the father too?

suedehead 1 year, 5 months ago

The kid's a brat and the parents are sorry, but it's not her place to spank the kid. All this did was get her in trouble. I imagine she'll be fired. Too bad though, because he probably needs a lot of spankings.

She should have first told the parents to control their child and leave the store or she would call the cops. If they did nothing immediately, THEN she should have followed through.

Hopefully, the parents/child will appear for court and the judge will tell them how lousy they are before dismissing the charge.

Sandykin 1 year, 5 months ago

If the charge sticks, I hope she has the presence of mind to file a counter charge of her own: Attempted assault with a cookie jar. Perhaps the store can file charges against the boy of disturbing the peace. The parents of this boy need to be made aware that that his behavior is unacceptable. They are responsible for teaching him enough social skills to function in public. They likely need to be told that begins with discipline at home.

gwinnettresident1 1 year, 5 months ago

I deal with children in my job all day..K - 12. I have never seen such disrespect in my life. Its all ages. There are some that are so nice you can tell the parents are good people. There are some that are so distrubing that it scares me what the condition of this country will be in 20 more years. Given the condition its in now. I contact parents all the time and tell them their child has done something wrong. They ask me clearly what the f you want me to do about it. Then they continue to cuss me until i hang up on them...

R 1 year, 5 months ago

Wondering where dear ol dad was anyway, as a rule Dollar Stores aren’t all that big to start off with.

I hope she was able to at least charge the dad for the merchandize thrown and anything else the spoiled terror defaced…

I’m sure the police took down his name and number

(probably programmed into speed dial) this incident won’t be the last contact they have with the guy / kid.

The belt may have been a bit over the top, but if that were my child I would've been too embarrassed to call police.

boomersmom 1 year, 5 months ago

I too worked retail during high school in the 80's and a mother always cam to my store and let her kids run wild in the store. I once found them in the back storage room and went back there to run them out only to get cussed out by the mother. My store manager sent me back there to make them leave and then when the mother cussed me out he did not even stand up for me. I only worked there for a few more months.

Kids today have no respect for anyone and their parents do not care what they do as long as they are not bothering them. I hate to even imagine how the future is going to be. Who is to blame for all this besides the parents.....the government. They have created it now that it is child abuse if you pop your child on his behind. I am the first to believe that there are parents who go overboard with discipline but folks in my childhood if I got in trouble at school I first got a paddling on my backside from the principal or teacher then a spanking from not just my mom but my dad as well. I never got into trouble at school because I had a fear of getting into trouble at home. Kids today have no fear, no respect, and no parents who really care what they are doing and we wondered why the prisons are so full. Look at the age of most of the inmates and you will see that they were born in decades when spanking your children became illegal.

NewsReader 1 year, 5 months ago

Since she will likely be fired by Dollar Store because it "looks bad" and being charged with a crime anyway, she should have broken that cookie jar over the man's head. Either that, or bust Daddy's behind with the belt and make certain he felt it. The boy's behavior is just the symptom. Daddy is the problem.