As of Thursday, August 29, 2013
© Copyright 2014 Gwinnett Daily Post
- The Brian Banks story is truly amazing. To make it to the NFL after losing 10 years of his life to prison and parole is a monumental success story. However, it may all be coming to end Saturday when the Falcons cut down to 53 players. Thursday could be Banks’ last moment in a Falcons jersey, and that alone should be incentive to watch.
- A lot of the starters are not going to play, but potential rookie starters Robert Alford and Desmond Trufant should be out there at cornerback. After a rough start to camp (Trufant) and a rough outing last week (Alford), look for rebound games from the duo so they can enter the regular season on a high note.
- Most of the linebacker spots on the 53-man roster are locked down, but there may be some wiggle room. Between the younger guys to the undrafted rookies in this unit, there is some talent and huge upside on the roster. Guys like Pat Schiller, Paul Worrilow and Robert James, any one of them could play their way onto or off this final roster.
- Head coach Mike Smith mentioned Tuesday that Drew Davis and Kevin Cone had a pretty good handle on the fourth and fifth wide receiver roster spots. The team usually carries just five receivers into the season, but a great showing by some of the guys below Davis and Cone could force Atlanta to carry six, or at least ink invitations back next week as practice squad receivers.
- Drafted rookie defensive ends Malliciah Goodman and Stansly Maponga haven’t shown as much on the field as many expected through the preseason. They should get a lot of reps on Thursday and need to show the coaching staff they have upside. Atlanta is always looking for players that can rush the quarterback.
More like this story
- Falcon starters expected to play more against Ravens ( August 14, 2013 )
- Falcons' offense humming with confident Ryan at helm ( August 27, 2014 )
- Vaughn a bright spot in Falcons' preseason loss ( August 29, 2013 )
- Falcons starters ready for dry run ( August 23, 2013 )
- Falcons to use running back committee in opener ( September 2, 2014 )