Tuesday, August 27, 2013
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS — About 35-40 people were temporarily evacuated from an Extended Stay America hotel on Wednesday evening.
Gwinnett firefighters responded at 5:21 p.m. to a report of a stove fire in an unoccupied first-floor guest room at the hotel at 7065 Jimmy Carter Blvd. Gwinnett Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge said the fire sent a residual haze of smoke throughout the first and second floors of the three-story building. No injuries were reported and the situation was under control by 5:31 p.m.
Also on Wednesday, firefighters worked two residential fires in Norcross and Doraville. The first fire dispatched crews at 2:28 p.m. to the 5200 block of Audubon Place, N.W. in Norcross where they found smoke coming from the attic. Rutledge said the fire was accidental and caused by a stove appliance that was unintentionally left on. Three adults were displaced.
The other house fire was in the 3000 block of Sumac Drive, NW when crews were dispatched at 2:33 p.m. A vehicle was on fire close to the house, Rutledge said. The blaze destroyed the vehicle and caused heavy damage to the garage area.
“Two police officers were able to successfully remove a wheelchair bound female from the back porch prior to the fire department’s arrival,” said Rutledge, who added that fire crews rescued a dog from the home.
The cause was believed to be a mechanical problem with the vehicle, Rutledge said.
Firefighters also worked a minor house fire in the 900 block of East Drive, N.E. in Lawrenceville when they were dispatched at 7:33 p.m. They extinguished a small smoldering fire underneath the porch. The fire was contained to a small area and caused minimal damage, Rutledge said.
Two adult women did not report injuries, and the fire is believed to be accidental and sparked by smoking materials.