Daily Post to change procedure for commenting

Starting next week, the Daily Post will no longer allow anonymous comments to be posted online. Beginning with Monday’s content, readers will comment on stories at www.gwinnettdailypost.com through their Facebook accounts.

The Albany Herald, the Daily Post’s sister paper, previously implemented this same system, and all Southern Community Newspaper, Inc. are following suit in the next few weeks. The idea, SCNI leadership said, is to promote more civil and productive discussion of stories and events.

“Our papers have always tried to be a forum for public debate. We encourage it. But the editors at all seven SCNI properties thought the anonymous comments had gone too far,” J.K. Murphy, vice president/content, said. “Moderating the comments had become a full-time proposition. Using Facebook is not a perfect solution, but it should create a better conversation. If you feel strongly about a topic, you ought to be willing to put your name behind it.”

The process for commenting through Facebook is simple. When you press the button to submit a comment, if you’re already logged in to Facebook, your comment will appear in the thread of existing comments. If you’re not logged into Facebook when you press the comment button, you will be prompted to log in with your Facebook account credentials.

This is done with direct integration with Facebook’s application and your account credentials remain secure between you and Facebook.

Comments

Mack711 7 months, 4 weeks ago

well guess that this is the last comment for me. Do not have a face book account and will not get one, Good while it lasted and enjoyed the times reading all of your comments. Have fun!! Should the GDP change their policy back to the current format then will be back. Bad decision GDP.

Mack

RedDawn 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Just make up a fake facebook account. There are already thousands of them.

Gwinnettsince1991 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I also do not have a facebook account. Pretty sad that not all people can have their voices heard.

pcjohn 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Requiring us to provide our names will certainly discourage any negative comments about our schools and their administration, public officials and their actions/programs, and the actions of our police, for fear of retaliation. I guess that the GDP wants a complacent population of contributors and nothing negative or uncomfortable to appear here. Congratulations - you have become an integral part of "Big Brother".

And your requiring us to open a Facebook account will expose us to the security problems associated with that website. The National Security Administration must look at your staff lovingly. Bye, bye.

Haughton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Some us do actively participate on a public level. Even without me using my full name here - Wilbanks, McClure, Radloff, etal. could easily identify me if they felt compelled to read postings on this website. I am not commenting on things they are not fully aware of.

You should get to know law enforcement a bit better. Being involved in your community is the key.

dentaldawg83 7 months, 3 weeks ago

heh heh.not getting rid of me that easy! :)

Why_not 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Some of us will still be here.

Jan 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Hopefully this new policy will stop comments from those more interested in insulting and demonizing than having a reasonable discussion. I do agree that facebook is not the ideal solution but the alternative of requiring real names and verifying that they are legitimate would be costly. Of course, those wishing to remain anonymous without additional facebook accounts can always use snail mail with fictitious information - I have seen letters published that obviously were false names and I am sure others were that I did not know were false.

RedDawn 7 months, 3 weeks ago

When I read this I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. As one of the chief insulters and demonizers, I guess you will stop commenting now.

Haughton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

RedDawn, you hit the nail right on the head with your reply! Another personal favorite is lame paired with insults. It is an easily identifiable diversion tactic, using words to manipulate the conservation

Ms Jan, fake accounts on local websites stick out like a sore thump. Letters of opinion are fully vetted before they are published. Living under a rock must cause paranoia.

gwinnettresident1 7 months, 3 weeks ago

i think my new facebook name will be Ally Gator...Lol

DavidBrown 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I applaud your decision to curtail anonymous comments. I agree with you that " If you feel strongly about a topic, you ought to be willing to put your name behind it.” I have always used my real name when I have posted a comment. However, I won't be posting anymore comments because I don't use Facebook.

John5214 7 months, 3 weeks ago

No Facebook here either. Could make one up I suppose, but why bother. The politicians will do whatever they want and my voice is not important to them, nor are yours. See ya....

wally 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Well that will be one less reason to view this website.I was starting to like reading some of the news stories and such being as I live in Gwinnett. I do not have a facebook acct,do not want one just like I do not want or own a smartphone. I guess Gwinnett Daily Post.com will be removed fro my favorites on my computer as well... Real smart decision there folks, you are running off a lot of loyal readers. Good work.

JV 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Just like other media outlets, GDP now has a solution to a non-existing problem.

Coming soon to a local newspaper website:

Java Victor

None

by JV

mickey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Now the truth will not come out because those that have first hand information will be afraid of "the man". Good going GDP....I mean just look at the amount of people being fired for what is on their fb. GOODBYE

Bufordite 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I am truly disappointed with this decision. You are curtailing public discourse. I have been made aware of differing points of view through these comments and learned some things as well. I don't use fb nor do I plan to use it.

Haughton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Sign of the times. The current system is becoming antiquated and the GDP needs to update to remain a relevant news source.

I use only part of my name when posting currently, but do not have a problem with using my FB or Twitter account to link in to comment. The familiar rhetoric, key caustic words, and trolling that is obvious with certain users now will be easy to spot and it will be clear to identify the fake accounts. With this being a local / community website, the identity of a person (real or fake) will be very clear cut.

Looking forward to getting to some of you a bit better. Enjoy the weekend!

kevin 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Whenever your privacy starts to be exposed, this is the end of free speech. Thanks GDP for not enforcing your policies to write on here.If you took down the comments that didn't meet your policy, you wouldn't be punishing 100% of your readers. Evidently the GDP is being pressured by the County and its partners to find out who is bad-mouthing them so they can be tracked down. Does anyone really believe we will remain "private/" Do you think we will really keep ourselves private from outsiders? Do you believe the GDP will also? I wouldn't pay for this paper. Good thing it is free on line. Folks, haven't you read that now Facebook is open to the NSA to intercept? Why would I want to expose myself to those liars. Sorry Facebook. There a many other local papers that will let you stay private. I'll be going there.

addamsfamily 7 months, 3 weeks ago

A good example of a liberal controlled media news paper(we/I say the things that you want us to say or we will put a stop to it and expose you in the process)isn't that what people are dealing with in communist controled countries? Now how do I delete the Gwinnett Daily Post shortcut from my desktop and then quit my job, go sign up for unemployment, go sign up for food stamps that I can trade for cash on craigs list and look for one of those free goverment housing projects and simply wait for the free Obama cash to come rolling in. Of course I will get free medical care, free dental care and those food pantries will be delivering hot meals to my door but then again never mind I am a republican and I have to work until I die to support that special privldged class of black democrats. Is this country ina d#%& mess or what??

LilburnLady 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Ridiculous! People will just create "anonymous" Facebook accounts to use when commenting.

wally 7 months, 3 weeks ago

It's like everything else,it's all changing.Who would have ever thought Obama would be reelected.It's like my neighbor said" whats right is wrong, and what's wrong is right". I for one think this is wrong, a bad idea. I will take GDP off my favorites list for sure. Great Job someone at GDP, run your customers off.

R 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Nothing like driving revenue to Zukerburg.

Perhaps the POST and its associated publications can tell us "on the record" if there is revenue to be gained by them in implementing this policy...

Requiring FaceBook use is foolish false security and as stated earlier by others - phantom accounts exist just so IDs can't be linked. Revenue is the only real logical reason for this change and FaceBook loves to quote the base numbers to Wall Street.

Politico: The tech industry has long sought the ability to hire more foreign, high-skilled workers, though Zuckerberg and others have pushed for comprehensive immigration reform in Congress.

“I can’t really tell anyone how to legislate,” Zuckerberg said. “Everyone understands the stuff way better than I do. So, you know, my goal in this is to just try to help support folks who care deeply about getting this done on both sides and hopefully we can make a difference.”

CORRECTION: A previous version of this report misstated the number of people Facebook seeks to expand its membership by. It’s 5 billion.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/mark-zuckerberg-immigration-reform-internet-access-95752.html#ixzz2cv4ysFYR

JimmyOrr 7 months, 3 weeks ago

John5214, you are absolutely correct. The politicians could care less about us rank & file citizens except at election/re-election time.

jack 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I will miss the intellectual jousting (with some), and even the mindless gibberish (the rest- you know who you are) of the party cheerleaders and government myrmidons.

I will not miss the annoying Japanese anime'-like page shifts caused by ads continually opening and collapsing on this site.

If the GDP wishes to use Facebook, that is their prerogative.
If I choose not to, that is mine.

Less hits on their website......but then, it's not about the the money, is it, but civility in the discussions.

Oops...maybe they're right!

pcjohn 7 months, 3 weeks ago

"MYRMIDON" ---what a great word to use in this context. Haven't heard anyone use that word in 40 years.

FordGalaxy 7 months, 3 weeks ago

So for people who like to peruse the GDP website at work on their breaks or at lunch, but a work firewall prevents Facebook access, the new GDP position is just "too bad, so sad," eh?

JV 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I hate to see so many loyal bloggers decide to no longer participate. Look folks, anytime you put something out there on the internet there is a record. Even with the current system used by the GDP, your email is required to post.

So, please reconsider using the FB thing. It really has nothing to do with "...the anonymous comments had gone too far." It's just how the blogs are done now. I tested my new FB name on the AJC this morning. Works fine. Hope it does here too. But please reconsider.

JV.................. well er... Java Victor now.

UNPLEASANT_REALITY 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Fantastic! More censorship of free speech pursuant to the Stazi rules of political correctness. I love how important keeping the flame of free speech burning is to the dying, traditional media...as long as they are the only ones doing the speaking. However, when it comes to things like "hate facts" (facts that are demonstrably true but must never be stated due to unspoken rules of political correctness), we are forced to put our names on the statement in order to give valid ideas the light of day, only to have our names and livelihood destroyed a la Paula Deen? In case what we say contradicts the carefully crafted narrative? Such as, perhaps, the fact that black people commit violent crime at over 14 times the rate of white people (that's an example of a "hate fact")? Or that fact that FBI crime statistics include Hispanic-committed violent crimes under the category of "white" in order to artificially inflate white statistic, while breaking them out separately when reporting them as violent crime victims in order to perpetuate their victimhood status?

So what exactly should we do in response to things like the David Santucci murder in Memphis, TN, where the racially-motivated slaughter was, predictably, described as a "robbery gone wrong." The only problem is that, according to witnesses, nothing was taken from him, and he was shot from ten feet away, virtually the second the vehicle carrying the shooter drove up to him. That's because it clearly wasn't a robbery, but my fact-based assessment is dismissed as "crimethink," as the story is buried by the media. Same scenario in Duncan, OK. Maybe we'll be talking about Lawrenceville next?

So we can no longer say things like pointing out how you never distributed your paper to my house when I lived in the abandoned central district, where my formerly expensive neighborhood was overrun with Section 8 ghetto hood rats that destroyed my property value? However, here in more affluent Suwanee, where I had to move in order to be able to walk my dog without necessitating concealed carry, your newspaper magically shows up for free in everyone's driveway? Why is that, exactly?

I look forward to the time when GDP announces not it's change in commenting policy, but it's bankruptcy when the actual contributors to society completely abandon it. You will have no one buy yourselves to blame.

Kent 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I do not have a facebook account and never will. It is just another avenue for the NSA to intrude into your private life in addition to their access to the path of this response. I am no fan of the progressive Mr. Zukerburg and have no intention of adding to his bottom line, unlike the GDP. Like the old saying goes "You are only as good as the company you keep". ADIOS AMIGOS..............

FordGalaxy 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, Jan, DavidBrown, and others, for as much as I disagreed with you, I thoroughly enjoyed our discussions and debates. However, since much of my posting happens during breaks at work, and since my work does not allow any Facebook related activities online (and I don't have a "smartphone"), I guess this is the end of the road.

Happy Holidays and whatnot...

FordGalaxy 7 months, 3 weeks ago

One other question that I've not seen answered:

Will this "change over" erase the archived comments? Or will people still be able to see how it was in the "old days" before the GDP decided that negative or simply non-positive comments were frowned upon?