0

Fire crews busy during storms

Gwinnett County fire crews were busy Thursday evening as storms rolled through once again.

A fire on the 2800 block of White Blossom Lane in Suwanee started Thursday evening, due to a lightning strike, according to Gwinnett County Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge.

Crews found an active fire in the attic on arrival before 6 p.m. and quickly knocked down the fire.

“A mother and her 13-year-old son were at home during the time of the fire,” Rutledge said. “They heard a loud boom and began to smell smoke. As they checked the upstairs, they smelled smoke again and saw it coming from the vents. The boy then saw sparks from the attic area to which they both fled the home. They escaped the home unharmed.”

Rutledge said the fire was held to the attic with “some damage to the second floor.”

“The family was displaced due to the damage and the fact that the utilities were cut to the home,” he said. “We offered them Red Cross assistance, but they said they would stay with family and friends in the area.”

Tree down on house

Firefighters responded to a report of a tree down on a house at 6:16 p.m. in the 1600 block of Mapmaker Drive in Dacula. The caller reported ceiling damage and a broken window.

Fire in Dacula

Crews were also dispatched to the 3200 block of Stancil Drive in Dacula at 7:09 p.m.

Firefighters arrived to heavy smoke from a one-story house as crews made immediate entry upon arrival.

“The fire was not due to lightning,” Rutledge said. “It was due to electrical exhaust from a bathroom. The owner said he was at the home earlier in the day and left the fan on.”

The home, which was unoccupied was under renovations, although the owner said he and his family were set to move into the home in two weeks.

“There is significant fire damage, especially on the back side,” Rutledge said. “It has a double-roof and was metal, which held the heat in. After entering the home, the firefighters were driven out by intense heat and the fire spreading.

“While the structure is there, it’s safe to say the inside of the home is a total loss. From the front, it’s very deceiving as it looks like there is no damage. But inside the home is bad.”