Tuesday, August 20, 2013
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE — The Gwinnett fire department’s response to a Lawrenceville elementary school Tuesday morning discovered only a faulty air conditioning unit, officials said.
Fire crews were called to McKendree Elementary School on Riverside Parkway at about 6:40 a.m. Tuesday and “found nothing showing,” spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
“Upon further investigation by the first arriving fire crew, it appears that an HVAC unit on the roof shorted out and sent light smoke inside a hallway that triggered the alarm,” Rutledge said. “A few wet ceiling tiles in a hallway fell to the floor due to condensation from the faulty HVAC unit.”
No structural damage was reported. The incident occurred more than 90 minutes before students reported for the school day.