Breaking News

Judge overturns Brady's four-game suspension September 3, 2015


Duluth fire displaces four people

DULUTH -- A family of four was displaced after a late night fire on the 2500 block of Augustus Drive in Duluth.

Crews arrived on the scene at 8:23 p.m. Sunday to find a single-story wood frame house on a crawl space with heavy fire showing from the back of the garage. Officials said the blaze spread to the attic and caused extensive damage to the home.

"According to a fire investigator, the blaze appears accidental and was sparked by a charcoal grill stored outside against the back of the house," said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge. "The family had reportedly used the grill earlier in the day. The flames spread into the attic space and dropped down into the garage and furnace room."

Crews also had problems with a downed power line to the house. The power company was asked to secure the line to make it safe for firefighters to work. The fire was extinguished after 35 minutes due to the electrical hazard.

The occupants -- two adults and two children -- were home at the time of the fire and escaped unharmed. They were alerted by the smell of smoke and by a neighbor who knocked at the door.

The family is displaced due to the amount of damage to the structure.


Location of fire

Location of fire