IF YOU GO
• What: Shuler Hensley Awards
• When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday
• Where: Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, 2800 Cobb Galleria Parkway, Atlanta
• Cost: $16
• For more information: Visit www.shulerawards.org
• Buford High: “Les Miserable”
• Greater AtlantaChristian: “The Wiz”
• Lambert High: “Little Women”
• Northview High: “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying”
• Wesleyan School: “Fiddler on the Roof”
ATLANTA -- On Thursday, several Gwinnett students and schools won't be walking away with Tonys for their stage presence -- they are taking home Shulers.
A Shuler Hensley Award to be exact.
Students from Buford High, Greater Atlanta Christian, Lambert High, Northview High and Wesleyan School are attending the fifth annual Georgia High School Musical Theater Awards at the Cobb Energy Centre for their work in theater on and off the stage.
The Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre Foundation has nominated people in the 16 categories, including overall production, director, choreography, scenic design, lighting design, sound design, technical execution, costume design, orchestra, musical direction, ensemble, leading actor and actress, supporting actor and actress, and featured performer. There are also several honoree mentions.
The ceremony will include performances from the six schools nominated for best overall production, leading actor and actress nominee medleys, plus there will be cameo appearances by Shuler Hensley.
Hensley has a long resume. He has appeared on Broadway as The Monster in "Young Frankenstein," Kerchak in "Tarzan," Jud Fry in "Oklahoma!" -- that earned him a Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle and Olivier awards -- and Javert in "Les Miserables," just to name a few.