0

Grill likely cause of Lawrenceville house fire

Photo: Gwinnett Fire Department Firefighters work to put out a fire off Slew Avenue in Lawrenceville on Tuesday afternoon.

Photo: Gwinnett Fire Department Firefighters work to put out a fire off Slew Avenue in Lawrenceville on Tuesday afternoon.

LAWRENCEVILLE -- A charcoal grill sparked the fire that caused heavy damage to a Lawrenceville home Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

Gwinnett County firefighters were called to the home on the 700 block of Slew Ave. at about 12:45 p.m., a neighbor reporting smoke and flames coming from the back of the house. Crews extinguished the blaze by about 1:20 p.m., but not before it "caused significant damage to the attic and second floor and sent smoke and heat throughout the house," fire department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.

Residents were not home at the time of the fire. Their pet dog was able to escape the home unharmed, but Rutledge said the family cat had not been accounted for.

Officials determined that the blaze was started by a charcoal grill on the home's back patio, which the occupants reported using over the weekend.

"Firefighters suggest making sure that the BBQ grill is off and cooled before leaving it unsupervised," Rutledge said. "Never place the grill too close to anything combustible, especially if the grill is still hot."

The home's two residents were displaced but did not request Red Cross assistance.

Map

Location of fire

Location of fire