State Patrol to up enforcement efforts on 85, 316

LAWRENCEVILLE -- The Georgia Department of Public Safety is upping enforcement efforts in its program aimed at preventing accidents with tractor-trailers.

G-TACT, or Georgia Targeting Aggressive Cars and Trucks, was launched several years ago as an attempt curb the fatality rate from crashes involving cars and commercial motor vehicles. Aimed at educating everyday drivers about safer ways to interact with big rigs, its main push encourages drivers to "leave more space" while passing tractor-trailers.

Officers from the Georgia State Patrol will step up their patrols in Gwinnett starting Tuesday and through April 18, a spokesman said Monday. Their efforts will be primarily focused on Interstate 85 and Ga. Highway 316.

Aggressive behaviors targeted also include speeding, following too closely, changing lanes without signaling and not allowing tractor-trailers to merge.

Comments

sporttrac30 1 year, 6 months ago

Well it is about time someone got involved. People on 85 as well as 316 got a big awaking coming. There are going to be a lot of unhappy people in Gwinnett. But it needs t be done. People speed up and down 316 and it is a 55 MPH zone. Go get them GSP I am happy you are here.

Mack711 1 year, 6 months ago

They were out there today and everyone was flashing their lights at them. The radio was busing with their location. Just slow down and they will not bother you.

Courtney 1 year, 6 months ago

The trucks are the ones who drive crazy. Speeding cars have NOTHING to do with accidents or fatalities. Every study has shown this to be true, but the revenue collectors do not want to admit it.

Reason 1 year, 6 months ago

Stay Off The Phone And Drive. That is the main issue on all roads. Please nail those that are preoccupied and are unsafe.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 6 months ago

will they pull me over if I'm eating a burger?

ivonnelpz 1 year, 6 months ago

I travel up and down 85 every morning to get to work in the City, I often have highway cowboys riding my rear-end and moving in and out of traffic. I steer clear from these individuals! I see them doing this to big rigs, cutting in front and stop short!!! I am THRILLED that GSP is on it!!! LOVE ME THE BOYS IN BLUE!!! Good job and I am happy to be sharing the road with GSP!!! While you are at... stop these woman from applying make up, eye shadow, mascara all while talking on the phone and drinking coffee. Is there a law for that yet?!!! GO GET'EM!

SuxBeanU 1 year, 6 months ago

Is springtime revenue enhancement time? It's not speeding, it's greed by the state and local governments