Friday, April 5, 2013
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS -- A Norcross home was destroyed by fire when cleaning vapors ignited.
Gwinnett County firefighters were called to the 1100 block of Creeldale Drive at about 12:50 a.m. Friday, finding flames burning in the basement and quickly spreading to the attic. Crews were able to knock the fire down in about 30 minutes, Capt. Tommy Rutledge said, but not before it caused "extensive damage to the home and its contents."
The adult male homeowner was reportedly doing renovation work in the basement when the blaze erupted.
"The man was reportedly using acetone to clean the floor when vapors were ignited by the furnace pilot light," Rutledge said. "The man tried to douse the flames with a garden hose before the fire department arrived, but was unsuccessful."
The resident escaped unharmed and no injuries were reported, Rutledge said.