Wednesday, April 3, 2013
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD -- Firefighters used chainsaws and axes to fight a Buford house fire on Wednesday afternoon.
Gwinnett Fire Lt. Colin Rhoden said the firefighters were on scene at the 2400 block of Gravel Springs Road at 1:16 p.m. and found smoke coming from a furnace under the house. Crews then saw heavy smoke coming out of the eaves of the one-story brick house. The cause of the fire was accidental, and a fire investigator was not called to the scene, Rhoden said.
The chainsaws and axes were used to cut a four-by-four-foot hole, which was widened to eight-by-six feet, to expose the fire.
Residents evacuated the house before firefighters arrived, and the family will be displaced, Rhoden said.
Floor joists and hangers had deep charring of structural wood, and there was heavy fire damage to the section of the floor over the crawlspace.