Lawrenceville amends color ordinance

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Lawrenceville toned down its colors following Monday night's City Council meeting.

In an amendment to its "color palette" ordinance, the body agreed to restrict colors such as pink, purple, orange, etc. from display on commercial buildings. If these types of "loud" colors are requested from a business owner, they must be approved in advance by the council.

The panel also heard the first readings of special-use permits asking for approval of an automotive emission testing facility at 1114 Grayson Highway, and an automotive repair shop at 199 E. Crogan St. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended denial of each request, but the council will make a formal vote at the May meeting.

In consent agenda items, the council approved several purchases, including:

-- $11,215 for utility power poles.

-- $7,800 to Durham Demolition for the removal of a small garage behind the Lawrenceville Auto Parts store.

-- $16,940 to Consolidated Pipe Co. for electrofusion tapping tees.

-- $58,500 for 1,000 residential gas meters.

-- $5,050 for laser speed detection devices for donation to the Georgia State Patrol.

-- $8,523 for breathalyzer devices.

-- $12,000 for an employee appreciation budget request.

-- $6,826 for rifle ammunition for the police department.

Mayor Judy Jordan Johnson also proclaimed April as the Great American Cleanup Month in the city.

Comments

NewsReader 1 year, 4 months ago

LMAO, this really cracks me up! A "color palette" ordinance? You must be kidding! I want to know what a "loud" color is considering a color is a reflection of light and has absolutely nothing to do with sound.

Mack711 1 year, 4 months ago

Too much government in our lives. Who is to say what is a loud color. Why should this group have the power to say what color our business can be. If it offends you then pass by it and do not look. What is one persons trash is anothers treasure.

R 1 year, 4 months ago

I for one will be able to sleep better now that those Loud colors have been read the riot act...

BornandRaisedhere 1 year, 4 months ago

I think this was the right move. I've been hoping for Lawrenceville to get tighter on zoning, neon signage, etc. Many other picturesque, progressive cities have similar ordinances. Who wants to look at a hot pink building or an oversized peach colored sign? I am a homeowner in Lawrenceville and it certainly helps home values to have a city that is nice to look look at and drive through, not one with multi-colored buildings (etc.). To speak to another person's post above if the ordinance offends you then don't put your business inside city limits. Problem solved.

jack 1 year, 4 months ago

No Dunkin' Donuts for L'ville.

dman 1 year, 4 months ago

How about demolition of those Wonderful downtown Condos, to help enhance the downtown experience? Put up something useful. Obviously, that venture failed. Thanks to "some guy" and his downtown Lawrenceville Vision. It must have been blurred!!!

SuxBeanU 1 year, 4 months ago

And next week, they are going to tell us what color car is acceptable. Way to much government interference.

DQ1959 1 year, 4 months ago

As long as they are focusing on the "bold" colors being used in the downtown area, how about homes in subdivisions??? I think the neighbors across the street from me got a good deal on paint a Home Depot a couple of years. One day I leave home and their house is grey - when I come home from work it's aqua blue with purple shutters & garage doors!!!!!! Needless to say - no one lives there anymore - abandoned I guess. Lucky me :)

John5214 1 year, 4 months ago

Sounds racist to me. Someone call Obamarama so we can get the Feds involved. We need to screw this up in a hurry.