County considers energy tax replacement

LAWRENCEVILLE -- County officials will discuss next week implementing a new tax to replace funds taken away by a state-mandated exemption.

The law, adopted by the General Assembly earlier this year in an attempt to create a more business-friendly environment in Georgia and draw jobs, would give manufacturers a break on state and local sales taxes on energy resources, including electricity, natural gas, oil and other types of fuel. A phase out of the taxes will begin next year and be complete in 2016.

But to make sure that local governments didn't suffer from a loss of revenue, legislators agreed to allow counties and cities to impose an excise tax on energy equal to the amount of money lost in local sales taxes, according to information from the Association County Commissioners of Georgia. The association said the excise tax can be used for any purpose, unlike sales taxes, which must be used for capital projects.

To consider the option, county officials have set a 5 p.m. meeting Tuesday with representatives from its 16 cities, as an intergovernmental agreement would be required to move forward with the excise tax.

A timeline for possible adoption will be discussed at the meeting, but the leaders are on track to begin the tax Jan. 1, when the exemption is set to begin.

Comments

R 1 year, 7 months ago

Money, Money, Money...

Big money goes around the world, Big money give and take, Big money done a power of good, Big money make MISTAKES, Big money got a heavy hand, Big money take control, Big money got a mean streak, Big money got no soul...

dentaldawg83 1 year, 7 months ago

they do this instead of reducing spending and they will, again, hear from the voters.

apsLilburn 1 year, 7 months ago

Why do the bureaucrats always have to replace a tax? Why can't they realize that revenue is no longer available and adjust accordingly? Normal working people do this all the time.

gwinnettresident1 1 year, 7 months ago

Their spending is so hidden and wasteful ....Just the budget alone for the schools is 1.7 BILLION...I would like to see every penny that is spent in this county just once..I have no idea what the budget for the county as a whole is....I know for sure that they just built Bryson park and within 1 mile they are building another bigger park...If you get the money from taxpayers is it fact that you cant hold it you have to urinate it away because it burns a hole in your pocket....Da** reminds me of my ex-wife....

Why_not 1 year, 7 months ago

The county budget can be viewed on the county website.

gwinnettresident1 1 year, 7 months ago

I understand that.. It dosent have a breakdown of every dime spent. I know in the school system how much is going to waste just stopping a school bus at every driveway. Thats even if they are 10 feet apart...You drive the traffic just like i do i know you have to see it.. That is very little of the waste.

Why_not 1 year, 7 months ago

I am sure you know the school system and the county Are totally separate. I don't think you will find any government entity that will break it down the way you are wanting to see it. I can only imagine the time that would be required to list every single dime and how it was spent.

teelee 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks to "Hope and Change" I have had to learn how to do with less and quit spending. The various governments need to do the same.

Why_not 1 year, 7 months ago

I just finished watching a you tube video of George Bush bloopers.....I sure do miss the guy...HAHA

CD 1 year, 7 months ago

My suggestion is that everyone email Mother Nash and make it clear that your expectation is that the county shall keep its hands out of your pockets. Of course, the offset will be fewer services, but the citizens will need to make an adjustment.

The big issue the citizens will face is a property tax increase. It should be made clear this is a non-starter.

Why_not 1 year, 7 months ago

Everyone expects a police officer, a fire engine, an ambulance and animal control to be there soon after they are requested. Clean, safe water, well maintained roads are also expected. How can any of this be accomplished without adequate revenue? It's easy to complain about taxes but when services start dropping off, someone always wants heads to roll. I grew up in a fairly rural area of North Georgia where the taxes arent much lower than in Gwinnett, but the services provided are terrible. I have seen both sides and I will take what we have here in Gwinnett any day.

Why_not 1 year, 7 months ago

FYI-I do think we have enough parks in the county without building more.

Kent 1 year, 7 months ago

My household budget is controlled by limiting spending based on need rather than all the extras I would like to have. The so called conservative Republicans who are on the BOC have no concept of controlling spending by operating with lower revenue. Gwinnettresident1 makes a point of how parks have been overbuilt. My commissioner "Mike the Spender" is so proud of all the parks he has helped to add since he has held office. We are strapped with staffing and maintaining these excessive parks forever. Once a tax source is implemented the politicians refuse to cut spending if the original source is ended. Their solution is to implement another tax instead of cutting spending. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! BOHICA P. S. Thank you so much Mike for the parting gift of the stadium and your trash plan which increased taxes for the citizens of Gwinnett..

notblind 1 year, 7 months ago

I really liked the new tax on rental cars to help pay for the on going costs of the baseball stadium [ Which sucked up $60M + the county had laying around ].

Sugar Hills nice new "keep up with the Joneses" city hall. $8.5M iirc plus dramatically higher day to day upkeep expenses.

Ditto for Buford.

BuzzG 1 year, 7 months ago

The value of my home keeps going down while the tax on it keeps going up. The schools keep getting worse while the amount spent on them goes up. Let's see Mrs. Nash do some strategic butt kicking and get some of the bureaucrats off their chairs. It won't happen. We will all be told that we need to give government more of our bank accounts and if we don't we are greedy jerks.

Tea Party, where are you when we need you.

HonestIngine 1 year, 7 months ago

Is anybody TIRED of all the BS coming out of L'ville? Gosh, I've lived in Gwinnett County for over 25 years and this is now becoming a joke. This NOVEMBER WE ALL NEED TO VOTE EVERYONE WHO IS AN INCUMBANT....OUT.... time to start a new government for Gwinnett.... One Commission, with the mayor of all these towns(cities) on the council. Do away with all the unnessary spending, We have over 11 different police departments, 6 different fire departments... Consolidate the services.... duplication of services/ cost us more taxes. Between the administrative expenses, retirements, benefits we in this county are spending more than our fair share. If we had one COUNTY government running this county we all would be in better shape. It's time for a CHANGE to business as usual... MR. SATURDAY NIGHT....ARE YOU LISTENING?

Kent 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh yes, the auto rental and hotel tax is loved by the commissioners cause the poor saps who visit Gwinnett have to pay for our services. What a treat----- and then when we go on vacation to another part of the world the local politicians there tax us to pay for their goodies. Then come election time BOC members proclaim "look at all the goodies I got for your vote". Nice when taxpayers pay the bribe money........