Monday, September 17, 2012
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD -- Gwinnett County firefighters were able to contain a lunchtime fire to the kitchen of a Buford home Monday, officials said, but the residents will be displaced.
Firefighters were called to the home on the 800 block of Old Spring Way just before noon Monday when a 911 caller reported seeing heavy smoke coming from the house. The first fire unit to arrive found smoke coming from the eaves and attic, spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden said.
Three separate attack lines were deployed and the blaze was able to be contained to the kitchen, where it is believed to have originated, Rhoden said. The residents -- two adults and two children -- were not home at the time but arrived as the flames were being brought under control.
There was heavy damage to the kitchen and moderate smoke damage to the remainder of the house, Rhoden said. The residents will be displaced.
The cause of the fire was determined to be cloth left on the stove, Rhoden said.