Brookwood's late rally stuns Archer

Highlights from the Archer vs. Brookwood football game in which the Broncos defeated the Tigers 20-19.

Archer running back Ernest Alexander (8) gets wrapped up on the corner by Brookwood's Afolabi Laguda (21) during Friday night's game at Brookwood.

Video

HIGHLIGHTS: Archer vs. Brookwood

photo

Brookwood running back Jamaal Cole (32) gets a couple of yards before being tackled by Archer's Robbie Armstrong (52) during Friday night's game at Brookwood.

photo

Brookwood's Shaun McGee (18) wraps up Archer quarterback Gabe Tiller (7) for a loss during Friday night's game at Brookwood.

SNELLVILLE --When Brandon Morrow's 22-yard, game-winning field goal split the uprights, Brookwood's stunning comeback was complete.

The Broncos, down by two scores late in the fourth quarter on Friday, closed the margin on Jamaal Cole's touchdown run with 2:41 left and then went on a last-minute drive that resulted in Morrow's kick, which kept Archer from what would have been one of the biggest wins in school history.

Instead, Brookwood closed with a flurry for a 20-19 victory in the teams' Region 8-AAAAAA opener. It was the second straight comeback win for the Broncos, who trailed Mill Creek entering the fourth quarter last week.

"I don't know what it is, but our kids expect to win," Brookwood head coach Mark Crews said. "They kept playing hard, even when it looked like we didn't have a chance."

Archer dominated early and led 16-10 at halftime, extending the lead to 19-10 on a 41-yard Zach Wachholz field goal early in the fourth quarter.

Brookwood closed the margin with an eight-play scoring drive capped by Cole's 2-yard TD run with just 2:41 left. The drive nearly stalled before it got going, but Joey McLane's 31-yard pass to Cole on fourth-and-10 sparked the Broncos (2-1). Cole had 19 rushes for 102 yards and caught four passes for 64 yards.

An onside kick failed, but Brookwood held for a three-and-out and took over possession at its own 27 after an Archer punt. With just 1:30 to work with, Zach Moon (173 passing yards) and Ky Priester (seven catches, 123 yards) went to work.

The two hooked up for a pair of passes, between 15 yards of scrambles by Moon, and the latter moved the ball to the Archer 30-yard line. Priester was hit late by a Tiger defender, moving the ball to the 15-yard line.

The Broncos got to a first-and-goal at the 3, but eventually set up Morrow for his chip-shot, game-winner.

"We stepped up there (at the end)," said Priester, whose 56-yard TD catch was Brookwood's only first-half TD. "Nobody quit on us."

Archer (2-1) owned the first half with Ernest Alexander's 32-yard TD run capping a seven-play, 82-yard drive to open the game. Alexander had 25 rushes for 127 yards and teammate Sean Fowler carried 17 times for 120 more.

Brookwood answered with Moon's 56-yard TD pass to Priester and Chandler Price's interception set up Morrow's 34-yard field goal for a 10-7 Bronco lead. That was the last time the hosts scored before their fourth-quarter rally.

The Tigers tied the score with a 20-play drive that resulted in a 20-yard Wachholz field goal, then went up 16-10 on Alexander's 1-yard TD plunge, set up by a Deondre Singleton interception.

A bad snap led to a missed PAT after that score, a point that hurt badly when Morrow's field goal put Brookwood up by a point instead of tying the score.

The Broncos' defense, led by Shaun McGee's four tackles for losses and a sack, was big in the second half. After Archer rolled up 281 first-half yards, it was held to 88 in the second half.

"You've got to win games like that to hang in there in our region," Crews said. "I'm just proud of our kids."

Comments

Kcook 1 year, 7 months ago

So how much did brookwoods booster club drop on the refs for this game?

DallasCapone 1 year, 7 months ago

It was truly dissapointing that the young archer ball club had to play the 11 members on the field from Brookwood and the refs. Archer handled this bronco team up and down the field, all who were present witnessed this unfairly called game. This was not a game that was called fair by the refs from beginning to end. I regret the game could not be played by the young men on the field only, they all played their hearts out. brookwood has gotten away with another robbery. I've heard of home field advantage but this was ridiculous. Archer you know you won this game hands down. The fans that watched and the broncos all know it. This kind of stuff has to end. I hate the broncos have to have a false since of hope, because that got a W. If you are truly better than you would win on your own merits.

tracyprice4 1 year, 7 months ago

Great job Brookwood Broncos!!!

SweetDaddyPop 1 year, 7 months ago

I know Archer is new to the concept of Gwinnett football, but there is no crying allowed. You lost. Had you been able to get a first down on your last possession you would have won. Instead it was 3 and out. Brookwood took over, moved the ball, and won. I was there too. The personal foul on the last possession was an easy call. The player was clearly out of bounds and then got hit. That wasn't the officials, that was an Archer player not using his head. There's no false hope in Bronco Nation. Everybody knows the road is tough, and each week begets a new challenge. Survive and move on. You'll figure that out too once you've got a couple of titles under your belt.

gwinnettsportsfan7 1 year, 7 months ago

Dallas, I am not associated with Brookwood but wanted to watch this game because I thought it would be the game of the night ... and it was. I would agree with you that Archer manhandled the Broncos in the first half but only managed a 16-10 halftime lead. Give the Brookwood defensive coaches and players credit for making some serious halftime adjustments and only allowed 3 points in the second half. Archer made no adjustments offensively that I saw except rely on #8 and #20 exclusively. Brookwood special teams were the difference.

Your second argument about the refs I think is completely off base. I don't remember any calls or non-calls that cost Archer the game. The paper mentioned 8 penalties for Archer and 7 for Brookwood. I think blaming the refs for the loss is wrong and gives Archer a bad rap. Your kids played hard and will be a force in the region.

DallasCapone 1 year, 7 months ago

Much respect to the fans that commented on the post. I hear you, but as far as the calls not making a difference, I can't agree. The score would have been much worse, maybe it was a coincedense that every time Archer made a big play it was a flag thrown from touchdowns called back to huge runs called back, now I know maybe there can be a hold or 2 in the game but why was it only on plays that made a big difference in the expansion of the lead, I saw no flags on plays of no major gain. Also I don't play or coach for Archer but I call it like I see it, so Archer can't get a bad wrap for an opinion from a fan of football. The Broncos are a talented team, I just believe that Archer got robbed. I like the clean convo of fans like ourselves just giving classy opinions. Have a great week , I'm sure they will see each other again in the playoffs. I look forward to that day . Lets Go Baby! Football Time is Here!!!! OH OH , to respond to the clock stopping after the hit on Cole with 15 seconds left in the game, have you ever saw a clock stop that fast? They had no time outs left, they would have never been able to set up a field goal in less than 15 seconds. HMMMM. LOL