Thursday, September 6, 2012
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- The end to Gwinnett's service delivery dispute has created a surge in tickets, Recorder's Court Judge Patti Muise said Thursday.
Muise presented the court's business plan for 2013 during a budget review process, saying the three judges are able to handle the load despite a projected tripling of speeding tickets this year compared to 2011.
According to a chart, the court handled 4,425 speeding tickets in March, the first month when police were again allowed to use radar guns to clock speeders after more than a year without the technology due to a dispute with cities that left the county without qualified local government status.
The number compares to 1,205 the previous March, when sheriff's deputies could use the devices but police were limited to other means of enforcing speed violations.
Through June, the court dealt with 14,384 speeding tickets, far greater than the 11,793 issued for all of 2011. In 2010, before the sanctions were imposed, the number was 20,372.
During a presentation later that morning, Police Chief Charlie Walters said the department is on track to produce about the same number of total citations this year as last year. Walters said he did not know about the discrepancy with Muise's statistics.