County: early voting spikes Saturday

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Officials with Gwinnett County Government said Saturday was a busy day for the central office and satellite locations as early voting lines stretched out into the parking lots.

By Monday, things had settled down a bit, according to county communications director Joe Sorenson.

"We had a really good turnout over the weekend," said Sorenson, adding that more than 7,600 residents showed up to vote on Saturday. The high number of voters backed up polling places like Suwanee and Centerville with wait times of more than several hours.

"We've been trying to make some changes in the processes at the satellite locations with the longer waits," Sorenson said. "They've done a pretty good job of taking additional resources that we have available and shifting some people around...we're working to make it more efficient."

Sorenson said the wait time in Lawrenceville peaked Saturday at about 3 and a half hours, while the wait time in Centerville reached nearly eight hours at one point.

Last week, Voter Registration and Elections Director Lynn Ledford said she predicted a spike in turnout on Saturday at the elections offices since it was the only Saturday during the voting period.

As of Friday, about 22,400 had cast their ballots during early voting. On top of that, Saturday's 7,600 and a slow, but steady stream of voters on Monday made the numbers climb.

Early voting runs through Friday. The central office at 455 Grayson Highway, Suite 200, Lawrenceville, is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Satellite location hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

The satellite offices are located at Centerville Community Center, 3025 Bethany Church Road, Snellville; George Pierce Park Community Recreation Center, 55 Buford Highway, Suwanee; Dacula Park Activity Building, 2735 Old Auburn Road, Dacula; Lucky Shoals Park Community Recreation Center, 4651 Britt Road, Norcross.

For more information about early voting, visit www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/Departments/Elections

Comments

Cleanupguy 1 year, 9 months ago

Lucky Shoals ran about an hour and a half yesterday afternoon. Moderately efficient except that only half of their Express Polls (used to program the yellow plastic cards) were in service, leaving about half of the voting machines empty.

Sandykin 1 year, 9 months ago

My niece voted at the main office in the old Walmart building. She said the line was ridiculously long and it took 5 hours to get thru it and vote. The problem was apparently not that there weren't enough voting machines, but that there were not enough people handing out the card that you put into the machine so you can vote. She said there were several unused machines because the cards were not being handed out fast enough.

Sandykin 1 year, 9 months ago

For many of us, early voting is the only option because we don't get time off to vote. Some of us are working 2 jobs just to make ends meet and there's no room in the schedule or money in the budget to take time off to vote. The government needs to wake up to the reality of the ordinary lives of the citizenry today and provide better staffing for early voting.

dman 1 year, 9 months ago

Your company has to give you the time to Vote. They have no option.

Sandykin 1 year, 9 months ago

I did not say my employer would not let me vote. I could go vote on my work day, but if I show up late for my shift, I'm not paid for the time I was not at my desk, nor would have the opportunity to make up for the sales (on which I earn a commission) that I would have made if I were at my desk. It therefore costs me money - forfeited wages, to vote on a work day.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 9 months ago

Georgia: Employers must give an employee up to two hours of time off to vote, unless the polls are open for two consecutive hours before or after the employee’s work shift. The employer may specify the time when employees may be absent. Employers are not required to provide paid time off to vote. Ga. Code Ann. § 21-2-404.

I seved as a poll worker for many years - the other side of the coin is that there are many vocal political factions that strongly disdain spending for things like this. FYI, absentee voting is quick and easy.

dman 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for the clarity. I guess my point is, if Voting is important, then you will find whatever way or resource you can to Vote.

news2me 1 year, 9 months ago

I seved as a poll worker for many years

How can someone that worked exclusively on political campaigns for over 30 years also be a poll worker? This sounds highly unethical ... or just another one of your lies.

Someone by the needs to get their stories straight, cleanupguy ... and drop the bulls#t!

NewsReader 1 year, 9 months ago

That was precisely what I was thinking too news2me. LOL, Sthrnlady, you want to weigh in on this too? You are so full of crap Cleanupguy. And so busted too!

Sthrnldy 1 year, 9 months ago

Bless your hearts, Cleanupguy !! Your lives keep getting more interesting !!!!

Cleanupguy:  BS Superhero