Seniors invited to events at Laurel Grove
LAWRENCEVILLE — Laurel Grove, an independent senior living community in Lawrenceville, invites area seniors to its upcoming events in October.
All events are free and located at 2899 Five Forks Trickum Road.
They include the following:
• Caregiver Appreciation Night, 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 19
• Dark Chocolate Frenzy, 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 20
• Let’s Talk Seniors — Cancer Awareness with fall pies and hot cider, 3 to 4 p.m. Oct. 21
To RSVP or to learn more, call Laurel Grove at 770 982-9969.
G-Braves give August grant to Foundation to Fly
LAWRENCEVILLE — The Gwinnett Braves have awarded their $1,000 August grant to Foundation to Fly Inc.
The back-to-school-themed grant will assist Foundation to Fly in its mission to guide adolescent girls with their Roots and Wings after-school program.
The Roots and Wings program is designed to guide girls to embrace who they are and empower them to make a difference in the world around them. The program is for girls enrolled in grades 3-5 who would like to become leaders in their everyday life or in the community. Through the program, girls learn to express their wants and needs, build healthy, supporting relationships, understand and manage their emotions, set short and long-term goals and problem-solve efficiently.
Foundation to Fly has implemented the program at White Oak Elementary in Gwinnett County and Morgan County Elementary School in Morgan County. The grant money awarded will help the foundation expand the program to two additional schools, funding the training of two new site leaders.
Jackson EMC Foundation awards $20K to agencies
LAWRENCEVILLE — The Jackson EMC Foundation, a charity funded by the donations of the co-operative’s members through the Operation Round Up program, has awarded $20,000 to two agencies that provide services to the residents of Gwinnett County.
• $15,000 went to the Salvation Army of Lawrenceville for the Family Emergency Services program, which prevents homelessness and stabilizes families by providing rent or mortgage financial assistance directly to the landlord or property holder
• $5,000 went to the Healing Place of Athens, which provides a residential drug and alcohol recovery program for homeless men from all counties in Jackson EMC’s service area.
Gwinnett Gab appears in the Thursday and Sunday editions of the Gwinnett Daily Post. To submit an item to Gwinnett Gab, email email@example.com