Tuesday, November 27, 2012
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS -- A blaze that caused extensive damage to one Norcross apartment and displaced several other residents Monday night originated in a fireplace, officials said.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to a quadraplex on the 6500 block of Parton Court at about 11:30 p.m. Monday, finding "moderate flames and smoke" coming from the back of the structure. Crews were able to make an aggressive interior attack and contain the blaze to a single unit, which sustained extensive damage, spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
Three adults living in the damaged unit "heard a loud crackling sound and stated that the power went out" before venturing outside and finding the flames, Rutledge said. It was believed that the blaze was sparked by a fire burning in a fireplace.
"It is believed that the flames burned outside the fire box and traveled up the chimney chase to the second floor and attic," Rutledge said.
No injuries were reported.
The three residents were displaced. Other occupants in the quadraplex were temporarily displaced due to utilities being cut off to the building.