Monday, November 19, 2012
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
LILBURN -- A Lilburn woman ran back into her burning home Monday morning to try and save her feline friends.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to a home on the 1000 block of Park Forest Drive in Lilburn at about 12:30 a.m. Monday. Crews were able to contain the blaze, believed to have originated inside a fireplace, within half an hour, spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
"The couple reportedly had a fire burning in the fireplace for warmth earlier in the evening," Rutledge said. "The blaze caused moderate damage to the living room and sent smoke throughout the house."
The residents were able to escape before firefighters arrived -- but not before re-entering their home to try and save their cats.
According to Rutledge, the male resident attempted to douse the flames with a garden hose but was unsuccessful. The female resident then re-entered the home to try and retrieve the couple's two cats.
"She was only able to locate one before the smoke became too thick," Rutledge said.
Firefighters were ultimately able to locate the second cat inside and bring it our safely.
"Both cats were doing fine and were reunited with the owners," Rutledge said.
The residents will be temporarily displaced due to the damage, but declined Red Cross assistance, officials said.