Winder toddler recovering from setback

The mother of a boy injured last month by a tree branch reported a setback to her son's recovery on Monday afternoon, but better news later Monday and Tuesday.

Tripp Halstead, 2, suffered breathing problems on Sunday night, his mother wrote on Facebook, which were later diagnosed to be caused because of a collapsed lung. A breathing tube that had been removed recently was reinserted.

Those developments came after doctors asked his parents to do anything to revive him, such as talking, poking, tickling and kissing his toes.

"Here I am looking at my baby who is unresponsive and I am in his face, telling him to wake up ...'wake up baby ... mommy and daddy are here," Halstead's mother, Stacy, wrote on Facebook. "On the outside, I was all calm and collected, but on the inside I was dying. I kept praying to give me strength to keep standing up and after all he had been through, 'Do not let this be the end.' All the (doctors) were not only watching Tripp and his numbers but were pulling for us to be able to wake him."

While she called Sunday night "horrifying," Stacy was optimistic on Monday.

"Today is another day and we know we have to be strong for the Trippster," she said.

By Monday night, Stacy reported that the family watched Tripp yawn and move his eyes around the room.

"This has to be a good sign, so far he is responding good to his lung treatments which is wonderful news," Stacy wrote. "We are not sure how much longer he will need to be on the respirator, hopefully only another day or so."

On Tuesday afternoon, she said Tripp had a "calm" night on Monday, and doctors recommended more rest.

This news came only days after the family received positive feedback from doctors at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.

Halstead opened his eyes last week for the first time in almost 10 days, as doctors delivered a few magic words to the family of the Winder toddler battling for his life.

Halstead was critically injured late last month when a large tree branch fell on his head while he played outside his Barrow County daycare. After a touch-and-go period about a week ago, doctors told family members that they were "confident enough in Tripp's condition," openly allowing for the possibility of his survival.


NewsReader 2 years, 10 months ago

Our hope and prayers are with Tripp and his family for a full recovery!


Sign in to comment