Trio re-elected to school board

Staff Photo: John Bohn Gwinnett schools board of education member Louise Radloff watches election results as opponents of the charter amendment gather at the Gwinnett School District Instructional Support Center in Suwanee Tuesday evening.

photo

Staff Photo: John Bohn Gwinnett schools board of education member Mary Kay Murphy watches election results at the Gwinnett School District Instructional Support Center in Suwanee Tuesday evening.

photo

Staff Photo: John Bohn Gwinnett school board of education member Carole Boyce watches election results at the Gwinnett School District Instructional Support Center in Suwanee Tuesday evening.

SUWANEE -- A group of female elected officials with more than 60 years of collective experience on the Gwinnett County Board of Education held on to their posts Tuesday after going up against political newcomers.

Voters in Gwinnett County re-elected Louise Radloff, Carole Boyce and Mary Kay Murphy, who make up a majority of the five-person board.

In the District 1 race, Boyce defeated Democratic challenger Jennah Es-Sudan. Boyce got 32,271 votes or about 57 percent, while Es-Sudan earned 23,965 votes or about 43 percent.

Boyce said she is "thrilled to be able to continue in the role. It's a fine organization, and I'm thrilled to be able to represent Gwinnett citizens once again."

Es-Sudan could not be reached for comment.

The District I post includes all or part of the Archer, Brookwood, Central Gwinnett, Dacula, Grayson, Mill Creek, Mountain View and South Gwinnett clusters, in addition to Hooper Renwick and Oakland Meadow School.

In the District 3 race, Murphy defeated Democratic challenger Jen Falk, garnering 24,439 votes or about 60 percent. Falk got 16,541 votes or about 40 percent.

Murphy thanked the voters "who have made it possible for us to continue the great work of our board of education another four years. I'm looking forward to what the future holds in our district."

Falk said after campaigning for a year, she was happy with a dialogue that she said has been started "about things that needed to be addressed, like the budget, class size, graduation rate. The same things that we talked about during the campaign still exist and we still need to talk about these issues."

The District 3 post represents all or part of the Collins Hill, Duluth, Lanier, Norcross, North Gwinnett, and Peachtree Ridge clusters, as well as Buice School, Monarch School, and New Life Academy of Excellence in Duluth.

In the District 5 race, Radloff defeated Republican Candidate H.K. Dido. Radloff got 15,547 votes or about 77 percent, while Dido earned 4,721 votes or about 23 percent.

Radloff thanked "the voters who went out and supported me so I can continue in the best interest of the schools and the kids we serve. We want to continue to work together as a team."

Dido could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.

The District 5 post includes all or portions of the Berkmar, Duluth, Meadowcreek, and Norcross clusters in addition to GIVE West; Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology; Maxwell High School of Technology; and New Life Academy of Excellence in Norcross.

New terms for the board members begin January 2013.

Comments

SickandTired 1 year, 5 months ago

very sad indeed. Gwinnett voters deserve what they get by re-electing the likes of Radloff and Murphy! wonder how many new shady land deals will get pushed through? Bet the BOC workers whose salaries are paid by gwinnett county school taxes are happy today.

jack 1 year, 5 months ago

One can only assume Gwinnettians prefer to complain about their politicians than actually do something about them.

NorcrossDot 1 year, 5 months ago

Not true Jack.

Many of us fought hard and long against the corrupt commission that put in socialist trash program. And many have fought hard and long on other issues too. Where were you?

jack 1 year, 5 months ago

That every incumbent was reelected, even one facing ethics charges, speaks volumes.

"Politicians are like diapers; they should be changed often and for the same reason."

MissDaisyCook 1 year, 5 months ago

Thankfully Gwinnett still has some sanity to it; while a small majority of the country's voters have lost it. These women, especially Louise, are the greatest assets the children of this county have. That gaggle of fools in opposition would not have contributed anything positive to the GCPS; contentious simply to be contentious.

NorcrossDot 1 year, 5 months ago

MissDaisy - what planet are you from? The school board is as corrupt as the BOC.

SickandTired 1 year, 5 months ago

Greatest assets? They are dinosaurs. MissDaisy, have you met Jen Falk? Have you talked to the candidates who ran against these Wilbanks puppets?

Don 1 year, 5 months ago

So Gwinnett has one the best school systems in the state and has won Federal awards and you think non of these three had anything to do with that fact!

Look at the schools in their districts and how they are doing in relation to other counties. I do not see any indication that SACS is going to remove the accreditation of Gwinnett County Schools. I look around and see other counties in deep trouble on many issues and we do not have that here in Gwinnett.

Sick and Tired the shady land deals are mostly with the BOC and not the BOE. The BOE does theirs with the best interest to the residents of the county. If you hate Gwinnett move out of it, there is always Dekalb and Fulton that would love to have you!

I have two in the Peachtree Ridge Cluster and would not move them to a private school in the Metro areasdue to the quality of education they are receiving. I say this as I attended one of the premier public schools in the metro area!

NorcrossDot 1 year, 5 months ago

If my house had not drop drastically in value I would have moved a long time ago.

R 1 year, 5 months ago

The school system has wasted tax dollars on high priced land, we can't tag everything to the BoC as they run completely different ships, while being simultaneously and famously co-dependent...

But now the dust is settled.

How about the Chamber funding answers now please? With such long tenures in play there should be NO problem recalling the requested information.

PLEASE draw on the famous Broad Prize pool talent as soon as possible!

suedehead 1 year, 5 months ago

Other than Fayette and certain schools in east Cobb or north Fulton, I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else. I'm thankful to be in the Brookwood cluster.

SickandTired 1 year, 5 months ago

Thankfully my children are in college. I did have to enroll my children in private school for middle school. At that time Lanier MS was incredibly over crowded, horribly mismanaged, low test scores, and had a bigger drug problem than NGHS (I was good friends with the D.A.R.E officer in that cluster). Do your homework, the GCPS BOE and Alvin have been involved in many shady land deals...I'm not talking about the BOC. Wish I could move out of Gwinnett, however, Obama has done such a bang up job on the economy, I cannot sell my house at this time because it's worth aout $20K LESS than what we paid 20 years ago.

NewsReader 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, and it's probably going to be worth $20K less in four years when the next President is elected too!

GwinnettParent 1 year, 5 months ago

100% of the people will never be happy with the job the BOE does. But they must look at the big picture when managing this district and sometimes that means our individual clusters will appear to not get what they need or some of their decisions may not fit your idea of good management. But overall, they have done a great job managing the system, improving test scores and offering more opportunities for all students than many other districts in the state while losing resources and dealing with increasing diversity. We are not in danger of losing our accredidation, we have high test scores and people want to move here to be a part of the our school system. The current board is the reason much of that. I would not want to go anywhere else (even if we could sell our house)

Don 1 year, 5 months ago

The drug problem is in private schools as well. As one parent told me that had his kid in a private school he was getting the best there was, best pot, prescription drugs and alcohol that money could buy.

Do not be so naive that private schools are excluded from the drug issue that is in every school. Private schools just do a better job at covering the problem up.

SickandTired 1 year, 5 months ago

Don very rude of you to assume I am naive regarding private schools and drug problems. I can say with 100% certainty my children were not exposed to drugs at the private school they were in. I am well aware. I was heavily involved at the school on a daily basis. There was no pot smoking at school bus stops before school or drug deals in the cafeteria and bathrooms at my childrens school but LMS couldn't say the same.

Don 1 year, 5 months ago

no pot smoking at the bus stop is most likely because there was not a bus stop. I attended a private school here in Atlanta and now many kids in many of the private schools now and they have access to drugs. Most of the kids at the privates schools are smart enough not to do the deals at school but either at their homes or in their cars off campus.

As far as the large classes I only feel that this helps the kids get ready for college as long as they are being taught in the classroom. My graduating class was 176 and I was in shock when my freshmen history class had over 1000. It took me a while to get over the enormous class size in college.

HonestIngine 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey, Don she may be right.. I can believe.no pot smoking, because most kids in private school are on herion and cocaine(because they can afford the better drugs)... My kids went to both public, and private and I will not name the private school here, but my kids told me there were more drugs at the "Private School" than the local Public School High. SickandTired, wake up, the kids are smarter than you are and are laughing behind your back..Get you nose out of the air...and open your eyes..

R 1 year, 5 months ago

"Get you nose out of the air...and open your eyes.."

A quote VERY appropriate for our School Board as a whole, now let’s get to work...

JohninSuwanee 1 year, 5 months ago

On the whole, I believe that Gwinnett's school system is a good one. As such, I would not advocate sweeping changes to the BOE as some have indicated here. I have no firsthand knowledge of corruption of these individuals, so I will not speak to that aspect. However, I do believe that it would greatly benefit the BOE and the system as a whole to get some new thinking into the mix and someone who challenges the status quo. I cannot help but believe that “group think” (everyone starts thinking similarly) has to be an issue with this board. Also, based on some specific instances I’ve personally seen at public board meetings, I believe that the board likely does not challenge Wilbanks enough. I’d love to see a new face or two on that board after the next round of elections in 2014.

SickandTired 1 year, 5 months ago

Really amazed that so many on here have knowledge of what went on at my children's private middle school. Truth is you don't know. So please stop telling me that y'all know what was going on at our private school. Like public schools not all private schools are alike. So just STFU.

Don 1 year, 5 months ago

SickandTired- I see that the private school education on how to speak to people did not make it over to you. I think the "So just S*** " statement says it all on your attitude.

Ashley 1 year, 5 months ago

Gwinnett Daily is a joke. Never have they published any kind of journalistic piece about the GCPS school board. And not if you make comments on here that are negative they delete them. CENSORSHIP. Gwinnett Daily is a joke!

Mack711 1 year, 5 months ago

Wilbanks has all his 'Rubber Stampers' in place and in line.................. again. No suprise here. We had a chance to vote the 'Old Crew' out and get a 'Fresh Crew' in just like the presidetal race, you see what happened there. So you can not complain about what happens in the future with the BOE, or can we?

JohninSuwanee 1 year, 5 months ago

As I see it, the only ones who don't have much right to complain are those who did not vote. I voted, so I will complain all I want, even if the person I voted for is the one I'm complaining about.

Mack711 1 year, 5 months ago

I, like you, also voted and agree that since WE did vote WE can, and will, complain.

SickandTired 1 year, 5 months ago

just really tired of "know it alls" on here commenting on my children's personal educational experience. Mack711 has got it right.

gusti2 1 year, 5 months ago

Gwinnett continues to head in the right direction!

SurelyNot 1 year, 5 months ago

The evidence is clear: the GC School Board does a lot right. I think some people are just mad their candidate of choice did not win. Hard work and determination won...no matter the age of the leader providing it. And... Just because you have a private agenda does not make your opinion factual. Evidence of all this yakity yak? You use a lot of words like "corrupt" with no basis. I suggest you take care with slander. Also, as for drug use...get real. It is everywhere and even in your church, your job,.,..to say something as careless as private school kids are on heroin and coke...you have lost any credibility you may have ever mustered up.