Family awarded $3 million in man's sex death

LAWRENCEVILLE -- The family of a Lawrenceville man who died while engaged in a threesome has been awarded $3 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit.

According to information released by Atlanta law firm Edmond and Lindsay, the 31-year-old father of two visited a Gwinnett cardiologist in March 2009 complaining of "increasing episodes of new chest pain that radiated into his arm." The cardiologist, Dr. Sreenivasulu Gangasani of CardioVascular Group, determined that the man was at "high risk" of having clogged heart arteries and ordered a nuclear stress test to be done eight days later, the firm said.

One day before the scheduled test, the man, William Martinez, was "engaged in a threesome where both he and a friend had sex with a woman, who was not his wife."

He died shortly afterward.

Attorneys Rod Edmond and Tricia Hoffler, representing the man's widow and children, argued in Gwinnett State Court that Gangasani was negligent and should have had Martinez tested and treated immediately. A jury agreed Wednesday and awarded the family $5 million, with ultimately resulted in a $3 million net verdict.

"Our case was strong on the medicine but the case was particularly challenging due to some extraordinary and sensational facts surround the victim's death," Edmond said in a statement.

During the trial, the defense asserted that Martinez should have at least been told to avoid physical exertion. Attorney Gary Lovell, who represents Gangasani and CardioVascular Group, said the defense contended that Martinez was in fact "instructed to avoid exertional activity until after the nuclear stress test was completed."

Lovell said they plan to appeal the verdict.

"On behalf of our clients, we will be pursuing post-judgement motions with the trial court and, at the appropriate time, further appeals of the case as necessary," Lovell wrote in an email.

Comments

VicMorrow 1 year, 10 months ago

It is too bad that there is no way to make the jury pay for rendering such a stupid verdict. It is also too bad we can't hang the lawyers. No wonder our medical costs are so high.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 10 months ago

this verdict will never stand..

BuzzG 1 year, 10 months ago

Rampant law suit abuse. Rampant stupidity.

BenDover 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you kidding me? Man, got caught with his pants down, and would rather die than let his wife find out... Wife sues the doctor, for mal-practice because he set the test 8 days later? Call in the other people(witnesses) and hear their side of the story, I would love to hear their side of the story.... lol He came and went all at the same time.... What a way to go! The jury really screwed up on this one....

teelee 1 year, 10 months ago

This is why our medical insurance is so high because idiots like him are not smart enough to know that if your having that kind of heart issues you should be partaking in that kind of activity. I guess because the doctor didn't provide a list specifying activity involving threesomes this somehow made him the one to blame. I hope his family enjoys our money. There is a little thing called the ER people if you think your having a heart attack just go there and they will run the tests.

Winning the lawsuit lottery

Winning the lawsuit lottery by teelee

BurritoJones 1 year, 10 months ago

Well that was a stupid verdict.

toby 1 year, 10 months ago

Who knows, the doctor may be in on it too. You never know these days.

HonestIngine 1 year, 10 months ago

He worked for Shirley Lasseter....LOL

ACC12_SEC13Booster 1 year, 10 months ago

The medical malpractice suit might be totally ridiculous, but I will admit, I can definitely think of worse ways to go...

HonestIngine 1 year, 10 months ago

Now he doesn't have to face his wife...

Plavixman 1 year, 10 months ago

Dr. G is my Doctor. I have had 3 heart attacks starting in 2002, 2004 and 2005. Dr. G took over my case in 2005. Since then I have had a defibrillator implanted. I have had numerous stress test and followed his advice ever since. I quit smoking and today live a normal as could be expected life. I see Dr. G every six month and more often if needed. He does not deserve this verdict. He has helped too many and for one person to be so stupid ( I don't like to talk about the dead) knowing he has a problem is in my opinion not the fault of anyone but the client. Sorry family for your loss. But Dr. G. is not the problem.

toby 1 year, 10 months ago

Dr. is not the problem. The problem is that there are too many lawyers. "Shoot the lawyers first".

HonestIngine 1 year, 8 months ago

Dr. G got screwed and so did his patient. Wonder if they are bringing charges against the woman and other guy for killing a cop?