The Daily "Post" - May 31, 2012 - Underage drinking

"Rules are in place to help protect those who are too young or without the life skills to make sound judgement. If I find my kids (who are nowhere near perfect) drinking while underage, I promise you that my kid would rather be in jail. If I find that an ADULT allowed this to take place that person will wish that I was in jail."

Want to get something off your mind? Do you have something you want to share with others? To submit a post, click here. We'll select one every day to be featured on the Gwinnett Daily Post homepage.

Agree or disagree with the selected post? Share your comments below.

Comments appearing in The Daily "Post" are submitted by the public and are not necessarily the opinions of the Gwinnett Daily Post.

Comments

BuzzG 2 years, 6 months ago

We allow them to vote at 18 but not drink until 21? If they are "without the life skills to make sound judgement" do we really want them to have a say in deciding who will go to Washington and run our lives? I am one who believes that amending the constitution to allow 18 year olds to vote was a huge mistake.

Mack711 2 years, 6 months ago

The thought on giving an 18 year old the right to vote was due to them being eliglble for the Military draft. Back then they thought that if you were able to go to war you should be able to drink and vote. At one time in the 1970's if you were 18 in Georgia you could drink that was a disaster. Even today if you are ine Military you can drink at 18 and buy it also. Most of us that got drafted did on a Military base.

news2me 2 years, 6 months ago

The only 18 year olds that should be allowed to drink and vote are those that sign up for military service. That should solve the whole problem.

icecold 2 years, 6 months ago

And that's not unconstitutional at all.

GwinnettGirl 2 years, 6 months ago

Never mind voting at 18 - what about driving at 16? They are allowed possession of a vehicle at the young age of 16. Once they have a driver's license, they have the freedom and thought process that they can drive, drink, whatever. Voting & driving priveledge should be the same age - 18. Most kids are going to drink - no matter what age, they are going to figure out a way, and having the drinking age at 21 makes it very tempting to think, well, I can drive, I can vote, I can be in the military, so what, might as well have a drink too. The more forbidden something is, the more tempting it is to take a risk.

FordGalaxy 2 years, 6 months ago

Many other countries have graduated driver's license systems. in Finland, it takes three eyars to get a full driver's license, and that involves training on icy roads, on a skid pan, and at night. Granted, Finland is a completely different environment to the US, but Finalnd also produces some of the best drivers in the world. perhaps we should look long and hard at the Finnish system and find a way to adapt it to the States...

kmn 2 years, 6 months ago

Its really odd they go to a adult jail for underage drinking.