15 arrested in Suwanee party on Memorial Day

SUWANEE -- A neighbor's complaint about loud music at a Suwanee home led to 15 alcohol-related arrests at a party on Memorial Day, police said Tuesday.

Suwanee police responded to a home in the 3400 block of Ashley Park Drive about 1 a.m. Monday. An officer noted about 20 people in the backyard, which was littered with plastic cups and beer cans. When the officer asked who was of legal drinking age, most said they weren't, according to a police report.

"Some folks ran into the house," said Suwanee police spokesman Capt. Cass Mooney. "We didn't chase anybody or anything."

The report states that all party-goers were at least 17 years old.

One teen told police the home belonged to his parents, who were upstairs sleeping, and that the alcohol was left over from one of their parties. Each teen submitted a breath sample, which proved some were being truthful who said they hadn't been drinking. Those teens were released.

Comments

sugarhillmom 1 year, 10 months ago

The sad thing is the # of athletes involved including at least two baseball players that are supposed to play in the Senior Showcase tomorrow. Will their behavior be rewarded or will they be benched? And the parents want us to believe that noise was loud enough for neighbors to complain and they had no idea?? Please.

docgreen1499 1 year, 10 months ago

And was Suwanee was just voted the 3rd place place to live in the country for good schools, affordability, low crimes rates, and a large percentage of families with children under 18.......I guess 50% of that is good.....you showed them...

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

"Parents like Ivan's really make my job as a responsible parent even harder"

Agree completely with your statement!

SameStoryNewGeneration 1 year, 10 months ago

Now let all of the adults who never did anything wrong when they were teenagers step forward and post negative comments. Wait...... 2 already have.

Elloria 1 year, 10 months ago

Someone bitter that they got caught? Not everyone acts as if they never did anything wrong in their past life. What was done at this party was wrong and I'm glad they got caught. I didn't straighten my butt up in life until I got caught doing something really bad. Sometimes something like this needs to happen to light a fire under kids butts now adays.

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh, I did things wrong as a teenager, but I paid the price and LEARNED from my mistakes. Many kids today don't learn appropriate lessons because they don't get punished and it's PARENTS like YOU that are the PROBLEM. Sounds like you were passed out and didn't hear what was going on in your own home.

The negative comments from adults are because of ignorant parents like you. Too bad if you can't take the criticism. Grow up!

SickandTired 1 year, 10 months ago

SameStoryNewGeneration.....as a teenager NEVER, NEVER ONCE did any of my friends parents provide alcohol for us (BTW when I was a teen the drinking age was 18). I as a parent of two who are now 21 & 19, have NEVER, NEVER ONCE provided alcohol for my underage kids and their friends. There is a huge difference between being a stupid teenager and a being a responsible adult/parent. Most of those kids were seniors who graduated on Friday morning. Now going off to college they will start with a mugshot and more than likely be on probation their first year away at school.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 10 months ago

Now let everyone that would make every excuse in the book for lousy negligent parenting while overlooking the dangerous behaviors of their incorrectly perceived precious innocent children step forward - only one so far.......

Me123me 1 year, 10 months ago

To all the "perfect" parents above who have never done anything wrong because of their strong republican backgrounds and their undeniable conservative beliefs, thank you for your concern! We all look up to people like you so much. People like you make this world a much better place and we can only wish to be as amazing as you one day.

If it isn't already obvious, every statement made above was sarcastic. You super conservative pricks need to take a look at your own lives and see that we all make mistakes. Kids will drink in other places if they are not in the safety of someone's home. So would you rather have your kid drinking at some sketchy place where there are no authorities present, or would you rather your kids be at someone's house where the parents are responsible to take the kids' keys away and make sure they don't do anything stupid? And you honestly think that these kids would drive while intoxicated? Well, you're completely and totally wrong. If you even took the chance to see what some of these kids have done in the school and the community, you would be ashamed of any comments you posted. You all are nothing but ignorant, right winged, close minded idiots with nothing better to do than fail at bettering your community.

Also, if you would take a look at where these kids are going to college next year you would realize that they are all extremely smart and personable. They will go farther in life than any of you above ever will because they know that life isn't all about pleasing others. If they wanted to please people like you then they wouldn't have their own thoughts and beliefs that have led them to the successful place they are today.

Thank you again for your conservative views on life because they make us all want to be just like you.

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

"realize that this has happened many times before with this group of kids, and no one has ever gotten seriously hurt or into any trouble"

So these are repeat offenders? Talk about an accident just waiting to happen.

Oh, and that "super conservitive pricks" statement was so hurtful - NOT! LMAO, keep it classy. What a perfect parent and role model you are!

Please post some more, you are quite entertaining!

R 1 year, 10 months ago

This wasn't a parent's response

R 1 year, 10 months ago

“One teen told police the home belonged to his parents, who were UPSTAIRS SLEEPING, and that the alcohol was left over from one of their parties.”

So what “authorities” were present here besides the police?

“Thirteen other teens were cited for underage drinking and arrested alongside the homeowners, Ivan Romero-Pereira and his wife Nohora Ternera-Gonzalez, who were charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors, Mooney said.”

“And you honestly think that these kids would drive while intoxicated? Well, you're completely and totally wrong.”

Just HOW many front page headlines of deceased teens from the Metro area do you need to REFUTE this? It NEVER happens … till it does.

“realize that this has happened many times before with this group of kids, and no one has ever gotten seriously hurt or into any trouble.”
Great line - please keep it handy for the future eulogies OK?

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm shocked that the SPD could handle the call without asking for backup from GCPD or GCSD. Just think of all the lost revenue chasing speeders while they were busting those underage kids.

iamjustsaying 1 year, 10 months ago

Those without sin should cast the first stone? Really? I am a parent of teenagers and although I am sure there are things that the teenagers in the situation could have done differently as well as the parents, but that is for them to deal with and handle...it really should not be for their community members to past judgement on...the teenagers were drinking, but none of them were planning on driving home or driving anywhere for that matter. If they were going to be drinking they were responsible enough to make sure they didn't possibly hurt anyone on the road. To think this could never happen to your child is just being naive and may I say very arrogant and judgmental.

When something happens negative to one of your loved ones - I hope you and them are not judged so strongly! These are great kids with great parents - who happened to be involved in a situation that you now feel you have some right to judge them over. The only one worthy of passing judgement is our heavenly father...and believe he is with you and your comments here.

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

Typical: "...the teenagers were drinking, but none of them were planning on driving home or driving anywhere for that matter" ....... "If they were going to be drinking they were responsible enough to make sure they didn't possibly hurt anyone on the road." ....... "These are great kids with great parents" ....... "The only one worthy of passing judgement is our heavenly father"

iamjustsaying 1 year, 10 months ago

news2me: Again, As I stated above..."When something happens negative to one of your loved ones - I hope you and them are not judged so strongly!"

icecold 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow it's not that serous, and this is coming from somebody who never engaged in underage drinking.

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

13 kids were cited for under aged drinking, and it looks like many of their parents are now GDP posters to come to their defense. It's a little late for you wonderful parents to all of a sudden speak so highly of your angelic offspring. When your little darlings make the news, then the community can say whatever the heck it likes about their behavior and your lack of parenting. Maybe this public spectacle you and your kids are making of yourselves will teach you a lesson, but from the tone of your posts I highly doubt it.

Oh, and by the way - if my kids ever were to ever have ended up in this situation I would have them read these comments and tell them what idiots they were and be glad they didn't end up killing someone.

Some people never learn, then they raise kids that will turn out just like them. Your kids are a product of you, so blame yourselves. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.

Please come back and post often now that you have taken the time to sign up and post!

FGFUIC 1 year, 10 months ago

me123me---- wrong on all counts. rules are in place to help protect those who are too young or without the life skills to make sound judgement. If i find my kids (who are nowhere near perfect) drinking while underage i promise you that my kid would rather be in jail. If i find that an ADULT allowed this to take place that person will wish that i was in jail. But that won't happen because i dont allow my kids to go to places that i have not checked out first. Lots of parents want to be thier children's friends more than they want to be thier PARENTS.

''If they wanted to please people like you then they wouldn't have their own thoughts and beliefs that have led them to the successful place they are today. '' Uh, jail is a successful place?

''So, next time, before you make an inconsiderate comment out of complete ignorance, think about who you are talking about, and realize that this has happened many times before with this group of kids, and no one has ever gotten seriously hurt or into any trouble.'' Lots of parents think like you do all the way up to thier childrens eulogy. Then they change thier minds about what a KID can handle. 17 years old and you want them to lie to thier parents and get drunk at a controlled party. The parents claimed that they were asleep so who was in charge?

You raise yours and i'll raise mine but mine will be sober. Good luck.

SameStoryNewGeneration 1 year, 10 months ago

I never said the parents in this situation were responsible adults or even acted mature to allow teenage drinking at their house. My point was to not bash the teenagers on this site. Yes, I'm quite sure the parents at the home were well aware of what was going on and yes they should be held responsible. What if one of these kids had gotten behind the wheel and killed themselves or someone else all because the "adults" at the house gave them alcohol? That would have been a tragic and unimaginable situation for anyone to have to deal with. I have teenagers of my own and to sit back and think that your teen is not out doing things behind your back, regardless if its drinking or what the case may be, then you are being naive and you need to wake up. I'm sure there are some "sober" kids out there, but research the statistics people. Hide under your rock all you want, makes me no difference. My point is we raise our kids to be responsible mature adults and as a whole, we all do the best we can, but when you get a bunch of teenagers with hormones racing that has just finished a chapter in their lives and they want to celebrate, stupid mistakes will be made so lay off the ignorant comments about the kids. As for the parents at the house, have at em.

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

Teenagers aren't going to read these comments, but maybe they should. How many times do you hear after some kids in are killed in a drunk driving accident the same old story: "These were very good kids that had a bright future ahead". I mean really? This is a regular occurance.

No one is naive here. Teenagers do drugs, drink excessively, and have sex - not naive, we get it! Adults pretending to be parents are the problem with today's teenagers. Things in this generation have escalated to insanity because of adults, not teenagers.

Sorry, but if you feel offended about how teenagers are perceived today, too damn bad! That is your guilt controlling how you feel. IF this were my child, you would not see me on TV or posting coming to their defense. I would beg the police to haul them off to jail!

If these kids are old and mature enough to do all these things they are suppose to, then they should be mature enough to take judgement and punishment for what they have done. Choices have consequences. There is no shame and embarassment anymore - but maybe there should be.

If you don't want people to talk about you, then don't make the news!

notblind 1 year, 10 months ago

1AM. 20 + teenagers. In the backyard. Drinking.

Sorry, 10PM is about my limit. Loud and rowdy after 10PM = call the pd. I have zero tolerance for jerks which is what this article is all about.

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

According to neighbors on news reports and others that have even posted here, this is a regular occurance with this group of teenagers. I am glad one of these neighbors finally had enough and called the cops. Lack of respect for others really shows that one is missing any sort of self respect. These teenagers have a bright future - yeah right!

tryinghard 1 year, 10 months ago

Emphasis"If you even took the chance to see what some of these kids have done in the school and the community, you would be ashamed of any comments you posted."

That is about the dumbest comment I have ever heard. Who cares if they are straight A students with thousands of community service hours. THEY BROKE THE LAW by drinking under the age of 21. They have no respect for the law which makes them all losers in my book!!!

I struggle every day to raise my teenager to do the right thing and to obey the law. It's the parents who come to the defense of these kids and the parents who allowed them to drink in the house who make my job almost impossible!!!

kevin 1 year, 10 months ago

Sad to see that the judge is letting them all off the hook, including the idiot parents, who must think they can do whatever they want to do. What part of "broke the law" does this judicial system not understand?

TheJudgeandJury 1 year, 10 months ago

Before we let all of these negative comments and attacks defamate the character of many. As a defense attorney I will say that all are just accused currently of being guilty of being underage and drinking. They were caught by a concerned citizen that was completely right for making that phone call. These kids and parents were wrong and made a huge mistake that has embarassed themselves, their families, and their community. These are normal kids and they are good kids that made a mistake that has happened many times across this country and sometimes these types of parties have resulted in deaths, accidents, and life changing circumstances. Now they should be given due process as the law states and allowed to make good on their mistakes. We can't just condemn them, unless you have an underlying agenda against these famlies personally.Now NEWSTOME. If you condemn these kids forever and call them and their parents names and accuse them of being disrespectful, stupid, lawbreakers, that will never amount to anything and they have no rights as a citizen that made a mistake, than why should we consider any of your comments. It sounds by your own words that you yourself also did something stupid, but "paid and learned for your mistakes". So why should we listen to your thoughts or consider them now? Shouldnt we also cast you in the category you so proudly condemn them in? Why cannot they be given the same opportunity to pay and learn for their mistakes so one day they can be a model parent as you seem to be holding up yourself as perfect.How a parent choses to teach their children the ins and outs of alchohol and underage drinking is a difficult decision for many. Many parents would rather have their kids at home and doing this under their roof rather than their kids doing it out in the streets and risking danger to themselves and others. In this case the kids were obviously not monitored and not very smart as they had evidence all over of an underage party. Allowing a person to drink that is underage is against the law. Bottom line. This one made the news because there is a little grandstanding going on by the SPD and some others that want to be sure this story hits the news. They are using these kids as an example here and should. Laws are written and in place to handle this type of mistakes and allow a kid a second chance, a right to pay for their mistake and keep this off their record and allowing them opportunity is justified. As long as their is no prior history or habitual charges that Judges do not tolerate. So lets not be so quick to judge others before we look good into the mirror at our selves as parents. No one is perfect and if you think you are, your kids are doing a heck of a job hiding it from you. How about a prayer for all involved and asking for their lives to be changed in a positive way as a result of their mistake. Rather than the continued bashing of these kids and their families for underlying reasons. Have a great day!

news2me 1 year, 10 months ago

Defense attorney? Wow, you can pretend to be anyone you want on the Internet. Hysterical stuff.

TheJudgeandJury 1 year, 10 months ago

Exactly, just like you pretending to be the perfect parent. That's hysterical stuff.

" I would just tell the police to haul my kids off." Is Ned Beaty and Burt Reynolds in the ending of this?

roaads1 1 year, 10 months ago

There's an awful lot of judging and hatefulness on this forum. Some are just plain mean. Sad really.

concernedparent 1 year, 10 months ago

I have been a parent for most of my life now and raised two wonderful children. They are now done with college and starting their very successful lives. I believe that underage drinking is preposterous. What always helped me out when raising my kids is that any time they would do something wrong id give them a good beating. Once my little one came home after curfew and i took out one of my old studded belts and went at it. Sure he sometimes still has trouble sitting down but hes a respectable young man. These children obviously need to be given the paddle every now and then.

PeopleNeedToSTOP 1 year, 10 months ago

Just because these kids have made mistakes, it does NOT mean that they are bad kids. I know a lot of teenagers that do things that are way worse than this and do not get caught by anyone. Does that mean they are good kids in the eyes of everyone just because they did not get arrested? Like the saying, "Good kids are bad kids that don't get caught." Some parents never find out what their kids really do and some of these parents are the first to judge. Trust me I have seen it before. Let me make it clear that I'm not saying that all kids drink and do bad stuff, but a lot of them do and no one ever finds out. I know these kids and they are really great people, but they do have their flaws just like everyone else. They did something wrong and they are accepting the consequences. Teenagers will do stupid things, but at least they weren't completely stupid. They could have been completely careless and let people leave the house whenever they wanted. It does not make it right, but it makes it a bit better. I was shocked to see all these horrible comments on here (I thought people in Suwanee were nice, not rude). Most of you do not even know these kids. If you got everyone arrested for drinking, you would probably have half of the teenagers in Suwanee arrested, just saying, and just because these kids got arrested, it does not mean that their parents did not do a good job raising them. If you do not agree with their way of being, just let it go, it's not your life. If you think it affects you, then go somewhere where this won't happen, good luck finding it! Live your own life the way you think is "right" and stop judging other people. This world is not perfect, so stop pretending like it is because it will never ever be perfect.

PeopleNeedToSTOP 1 year, 10 months ago

And whoever wrote "Parents like Ivan's really make my job as a responsible parent even harder", why does this affect you? Can you please tell me how this makes your job so much harder? If you are the "perfect parent" you say you are and have the perfect kids, then your kids and your parenting should not be affected by this at all because your kids know what is right and what is wrong and they would never disobey you regardless of what other stupid and irresponsible kids do. Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am.

Ivan and his parents probably have an open relationship you think you have with your kids, but will never have. They accept the fact that their child will make mistakes, but they know that in the end he will learn from this and succeed in life. They trust him to make the right choices, although he may not always choose the right ones. In my opinion, that is what makes a good parent, not a parent who is embarrassed by their child's mistakes and tries to hide them. You have to take the good with the bad, in hopes of the good ultimately outweighing the bad, with the understanding that being pessimistic about everything accomplishes nothing. I know Ivan has a bright future ahead of him and he will accomplish great things, this was just a tiny bump in the way.