As of Sunday, May 27, 2012
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
WINDER (AP) — A historical marker in Barrow County at the site of one of Georgia's first public consolidated schools for black students is set to be dedicated.
A dedication is set for June 16 at the site of Glenwood Elementary and High School in Winder. The school was established in 1951.
The marker goes on to say Glenwood became the only public school for black students in Barrow County, consolidating several smaller rural schools as part of a statewide effort to improve school buildings and preserve segregation.
The school was closed in 1970 and the integrated Winder-Barrow Middle School opened in the same building.
The marker was the result of collaborative efforts of the Georgia Historical Society and several local organizations.