Memorial Day is more than a day off from work -- it honors those who have died in military service throughout U.S. history. This year, Gwinnett County's cities have several events and celebrations starting today to remember the fallen men and women.
-- Compiled by Staff Writer Meghan Kotowski
FRIDAY, MAY 25
• Suwanee kicks off the weekend with parachuters and a free concert thrown by the Gwinnett Daily Post.
-- When: 7 p.m.
-- Where: Suwanee Town Center Park, at the intersection of Buford Highway and Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road
-- Cost: Free
-- For more information: Visit www.suwanee.com
SATURDAY, MAY 26
• Duluth's annual Veterans Memorial Service will recognize Korean War veterans by presenting them with commemorative coins, plus a "Fallen Heroes Salute."
-- When: 6 p.m.
-- Where: Duluth Town Green, 3167 Main St., Duluth
-- Cost: Free
-- For more information: Visit www.duluthga.net
• Stone Mountain celebrates the military with Lasershow Spectacular, New Geyser Towers, free tickets for military personnel and special patriotic fireworks.
-- When: 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Lasershow at 9:30 p.m. Saturday through Monday
-- Where: Stone Mountain Park, 1000 Robert E. Lee Drive, Stone Mountain
-- Cost: All active and retired military personnel receive one free Adventure Pass with valid ID. $27 for adults and $21 for children (age 3 to 11), plus $10 parking pass.
-- For more information: Visit festivals.stonemountainpark.com
MONDAY, MAY 28
• Loganville's American Legion Post 233 hosts its annual Ride for America, raising money for the Legacy Fund, providing scholarships for children of fallen soldiers since Sept. 11.
-- When: Registration starts at 7 a.m.
-- Where: American Legion Post 233, 4635 Atlanta Highway, Loganville
-- Cost: $10 per rider, $5 per passenger
-- For more information: Visit www.rideforamerica.org
• The city of Dacula is throwing its annual Memorial Day bash with festivities from morning until late in the afternoon.
-- When: Fun run at 8 a.m., 5K at 8:30 a.m., parade at 10 a.m., park dedication at noon, festival from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-- Where: Downtown Dacula, at the intersection of Harbins Road and Winder Highway
-- Cost: Free admission, but pay to play
-- For more information: Visit www.daculamemorialday.com
• The Gwinnett Braves are honoring soldiers with a baseball game against the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs, camouflage jerseys auction and fireworks display.
-- When: 7:05 p.m.
-- Where: Coolray Field, One Braves Ave., Lawrenceville
-- Cost: $7.50 to $53
-- For more information: Visit www.milb.com and search for Gwinnett Braves
• Gwinnett County's Memorial Day is at the Gwinnett Fallen Heroes Memorial in Lawrenceville to honor the fallen heroes who have sacrificed their lives to protect our nation.
-- When: 1 p.m.
-- Where: The Gwinnett Fallen Heroes Memorial located on the grounds of the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center, 75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville
-- Cost: Free
-- For more information: Visit www.gwinnettcounty.com