Silverbacks hold off aggressive Revolution to move on in Open Cup

CONYERS -- With a chance to make a name for themselves U.S. Open Cup, the Georgia Revolution came out playing hard Tuesday night. But when the game was over, the more-experienced Silverbacks came out on top.

Raphael Cox scored in the 61st minute to put Atlanta up, and the team held on for a 1-0 win against the Revolution and advanced to face the Seattle Sounders of the MLS.

"I thought we played well in the first half ... but we just didn't capitalize on our chances," said Revolution defender and Conyers native Michael Nwiloh. "The second half, they had the momentum, they capitalized on their chance, they got the win."

Cox found his opening on the left side in the 61st minute. The defender was up on the left side and came up with the big score on a steal.

"I started sneaking and took a chance on it and got it," Cox said. "I was able to take a guy on one-on-one in the box and buried it on the far post."

The Revolution had an excellent chance to go up in the first half when a foul was called on Atlanta's Jordan Davis in the box, setting up a penalty kick. But goalkeeper Joe Nasco guessed right and kept the game scoreless in the 42nd minute.

"It was exciting," Nasco said. "This is my first professional contract ever playing. So to be able to get the start and have the win and the shutout, as a goalkeeper that's everything rolled into what you want."

Central Gwinnett grad Borfor "Buff" Carr gave credit to the energy the fourth-division Revolution brought against the second-divison Silverbacks. Atlanta has started its NASL season with four ties and four losses, so a victory was not a given coming in.

"It feels good to get the win," Carr said. "It wasn't an easy game. This is probably one of the hardest games we've played so far. ... We were prepared for this, especially me. I spent all night thinking about this game, hoping to get a win. It's good for the team, good for the program, something to lift the boys up.