Local residents react to TSPLOST vote

Lauren Misrahi

Lauren Misrahi

How do you feel about the July referendum that would fund $8.5 billion in transportation improvements through a regional 1 percent sales tax?

"Stuff costs money. People get mad about taxes, but I feel like even before I moved to Atlanta, people told me 'Don't move to Atlanta, there's too much traffic.' Roads going east-west are horrible. We need some way to get here and there. I'm willing to pay for it."

-- Lauren Misrahi, Suwanee

photo

Terrie Berto

"They could probably find another way to do it rather than reaching in all of our pockets. I'm not so for it, but if there isn't an alternative that is better, I'm OK with it. I think we all pay a lot of taxes."

-- Terrie Berto, Lawrenceville

photo

Bill Campbell

"I think we have enough taxes right now. I think they can find a way to take care of the problems without raising the taxes anymore."

-- Bill Campbell, Stone Mountain

photo

Stephanie Tierney

"I'm from the north and we're full of toll roads. Having no toll roads down here is bizarre. I'm from Philadelphia and you go to the beach and it costs you 10 bucks in tolls, and if you cross the bridge it costs four bucks. I hate taxes, but I hate traffic, too. We support it, we want less traffic. Anything for less traffic."

-- Stephanie Tierney, Sugar Hill

photo

Christina Kent

"I'd probably be against it because I don't think they would follow through with what they say. I don't know if anything would help the congestion around Atlanta. I feel like any time they make some kind of improvement, they make the improvement, it attracts people, which adds more people to our roadways, and it just makes us have to fix the problem again. I wish it would, but I don't think it's truly going to fix the problem."

-- Christina Kent, Buford

Comments

R 1 year, 11 months ago

"I'm from Philadelphia and you go to the beach and it costs you 10 bucks in tolls, and if you cross the bridge it costs four bucks." They got BOTH tolls and High taxes there.

A good reason to be FROM Philly and for us not to just accept that TSPLOST is the only answer and tax away.

Logic from the makers of the HOT Lanes coming to a thoroughfare near you... Hold on to your lug nuts boys, it's time for a lube job.

JohnGalt 1 year, 11 months ago

Lauren is willing to pay for it. She just moved here. Go figure!

Terrie is probably for it after she was against it. Hmmm, where have we seen that before? Bill is smart enough and has the wisdom to know what this means for him, his family, and his future.

Stephanie is another moron that says “…I’m from up north…” Well, don’t let the door hit you on the… Christina is wise beyond her years.
There is a reason that we are gaining representatives in congress and you people up north are loosing them. Haven’t figured it out yet? LOL, you probably never will! If you people have any sense at all, you will not only vote “NO”, but you will send a loud and clear message to these monumental idiots that we’re sick and tired of them finding ways to squander our tax dollars on all their ridiculous initiatives that the majority of the people could care less about. This traffic mess is a product of your own doing. If you choose to live in one place and commute across town to another, you really do deserve to sit in traffic. MOVE!

FordGalaxy 1 year, 11 months ago

There are several key factors as to why the Northern tier is losing representatives while the South continues to gain. Taxation is one of them, as taxation tends to be lower in the South. Cost of living is another, as I recently heard from a friend who had moved to New York for work and was thrilled to find a place for $1200 a month rent. I'm paying for a house with an acre of land and not paying nearly that much.

Also, the Aouth is loaded with Right-To-Work states. No forced unionization means better business environments. People in need of work will move to find that work, and so long as state governments can keep unions at bay, the South will have a bit of an advantage.

And let's not forget...weather. One snowstorm every five years or five snowstorms every year, which would you prefer?

Mack711 1 year, 11 months ago

The problem with a regional tax is that we are in the City of Atlanta region. Where will most of our Gwinnett tax dollars be sent? Think about it, it will go to The City of Atlanta. Why should we pay to bail out the City. There is nothing fair about this. The DOT will spend on what it wants and not what Gwinnett will need.

nawggin 1 year, 11 months ago

The problem is this: Too many cars on the road because people can't go ANYWHERE in Gwinnett without using a CAR. The only solution is to make the highways 12 lanes in each direction.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 11 months ago

funny how none of the respondents mentioned the continuing lying done by the politicians and govt folks about anything and all things we are asked to approve. still a big NO from me and believe me, I will vote on this one...

jack 1 year, 11 months ago

What a tough decision: Do I want to give more of my money to the corrupt/inept folks, who cannot use what I now give them effectively, to try to achieve the unachievable? Or should I again refuse to vote another tax upon myself?

TOWG 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm voting NO! I just don't trust 'em.

citized 1 year, 11 months ago

Pay me now or pay me later. oops forgot, pay me now and keep paying later

Gwinnettsince1991 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't trust the government with the money. If they removed all the HOT lanes and said they would never come back, i'd vote for the TSPLOST. But they are double dipping here. We will pay the TSPLOST and then they will build a bunch of HOT Lanes and it will be some huge money grab on the state's part. Just look at the mess in all the Northern states.

Fact is I don't trust you with my money, and it is my money.

Don 1 year, 11 months ago

This is being bought to you by the same politicians that promised as soon as GA 400 was paid off the toll would go away. Well it has been five years at least sines the pay off and still a toll. they are using the money to fund other projects around the state not even in the metro Atlanta area.

Just say No to T-SPOST.

vsaputo 1 year, 11 months ago

Trust is a primary issue. Ask GA 400 commuters if the toll gates are down yet. The other issue is the list of projects. Any list that includes a trolley for the city of Atlanta and little to no real rail transit elsewhere is a non-starter. Unfortunately, all of our GOP state elected officials and even our US Senators support this referendum. The AJC and TV outlets propagate the "virtues" of "starting somewhere" or "doing something". That's not good advice for your children so it certainly isn't good public policy. And, by the way, it appears CAT and Baxter found their way to GA without T-SPLOST. Gov. Deal went through a litany of companies that have relocated or expanded in GA over the last 18 months during his speech to the GA GOP this past weekend...no T-SPLOST needed. A penny and ten years with this list and this group of supporters...that's a big NO.

Sandykin 1 year, 11 months ago

SPLOST - Special Penny LOST. T-SPLOST - This Special Penny LOS Too. It's never ending. I've voted down the last SPLOST and will continue. The government permits all this development knowing it will bring growth, but makes no plans to deal with that growth. When it comes, they just throw up their hands and say we have to have a special tax to fund the infrastructure changes to deal with the growth. They have to be taught to live within their means just like us poor shleps that bear the burden of taxes. NO, NO MORE, NO MORE TAXES!

Ashley 1 year, 11 months ago

Would not even consider voting for it until the HOT Lanes come down.

ACC12_SEC13Booster 1 year, 10 months ago

The state is going to get a huge chunk of money to play with whether this T-SPLOST referendum actually passes or not as the state slipped a rather substantial poison pill into this legislation that makes road projects cost three times as much they would if a region approves the T-SPLOST.

From page 23 of the Transportation Investment Act:

"(d) In the event a special district sales and use tax election is held and the voters in a special district do not approve the levy of the special district transportation sales and use tax, the local governments in such special district shall be required to provide a 30 percent match for any local maintenance and improvement grants by the Department of Transportation for transportation projects and programs for at least 24 months and until such time as a special district sales and use tax is approved."

ACC12_SEC13Booster 1 year, 10 months ago

The fact that local governments will have to pay three times as much to build road projects, with local governments having to pay a 30 percent match on state grants for all local transportation projects instead of the current 10 percent match, after the referendum is rejected means that local governments in that region will have great difficulty coughing up three times the amount of money to match state grants that they otherwise would be able to match.

Because local governments will have to pay three times as much to build local road projects, money that they will most likely not be able to come up with, that means that the state will be able to keep the grant money that they would normally have to give out for local road projects.

R 1 year, 10 months ago

So the state - that gets its money from us - threatens that wont give us our money BACK as a grant (even though Federal dollars are required to be spent evenly throughout all congressional districts, regardless of the proposed regions in TSPLOST) and voting NO results in and additional 20 percent markup/delta over what we already pay? that 2x by the way NOT 3x as posted above. 30-10 = 20

So .... less will be spent on projects.... I can live with that.
THEY NEED our money more than we need them at this point...

And what happens if this fails everywhere? We start again, BECAUSE its NOT the end of the world and hopefully recognizing the REALITY of the economy we can do this right - I CAN live with that too...

rco1847 1 year, 10 months ago

It's the Tax and Spend and borrow and spend Republican aristocracy reaching for your wallet again. A penny here and a penny there so thier cronies will get fat contracts for the next 10 years. We paid for I-85 once and now they want us to pay for it again. I've had enough of these clowns. Didn't they hear about the recession? Unemployment? Government waste? Tanked retirement accounts? It time to cut government salaries so they can share in the fun.

R 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey for the record, most of these cronies were DEMOCRATS and got retreaded. We haven't seen REAL Republicans for a while now and THAT'S the real problem... Manure is NOT all created equal

I.M. Insubordinate

rco1847 1 year, 10 months ago

So much for the conservatives.

jack 1 year, 10 months ago

And yet 60% of Democrat voters favor the T-SPLOST. Go figure.

gwinnettisgreat1 1 year, 10 months ago

You guys keep talking about the HOT lanes. LOL... I find it so freaking funny how quickly everyone has forgotten what traffic was like when they were just HOV lanes. There was no difference, now that they charge you to use that lane, you are all up in arms. "I won't vote for the TSPLOST because of the HOT lanes." How about you just not vote for the T-SPLOST because you don't like government.

The HOT lanes were done to generate revenue and move traffic. I ride in them every day. It does both. The HOT lanes are full every day during rush hour. WHY? Because people are willing to pay so they don't have to sit.

Why do people go to Six Flags and pay extra to go to the front of the line with a speed pass? Because they are willing to pay more not to have to wait. Their time is worth the extra money it cost. Same on the interstate. So quit hating on the government for offering a CHOICE. You can choose to sit in traffic or you can choose not to eat out 2 times a week, eat at your desk and then ride home fast in the HOT lane.

But alas, you will sit on your backside and complain. Problem is your backside and not your brain if you ask me. Stay over there people! Stay out of the HOT lane!

BTW, I am voting against the TSPLOST.

R 1 year, 10 months ago

So you GLADLY pay more for no difference??? Hope you're not shopping with my money, but I get the uneasy feeling maybe you are.

Had the HOV requirements been maintained AS IS and the ability to COLLECT additional from the solo drivers who wanted to "pay to play" had been added, I BET you would not have heard a complaint - they would have been a REAL hit from day one. BUT after telling us all FOR YEARS about clean air force, carpooling etc and then eliminating all that on a dime? THAT'S where some of us call BS my friend, not to mention the GA 400 promises etc.

We may have to have government, BUT we DON'T have to accept lousy government. They should just tell us it's going to be a tax forever instead of this ten year window... Even in Gwinnett locally, please list a splost that has been allowed to sunset WITHOUT causing claims of DOOM and we'd be forever a backwater, losing our edge if it wasn't renewed, never to return to USA again. Don't you just want a reasonable world class level of corruption instead of this MickyMouse bait and switch sky is falling routine? We have all had to "up our games" at work- isn't time these twits did too?

hubertsaam 1 year, 10 months ago

having a good efficient transportation system is essential for a healthy economy...businesses that bring jobs are not going to be attracted to move or that matter even stay in Metro Atlanta if it means sitting in traffic for hours to get from A to B. Construction and maintenance of roads and bridges is expensive but not keeping our infrastructure in good running condition will cost us much more in the long run. I will definitely vote for the TSPLOST.

R 1 year, 10 months ago

This project list under the rosiest DOT estimates MAY reduce travel times by less than 4 to 6 minutes... Is THAT going to be the deal breaker when we didn't even make the top 10 in commute times?

Vote for SPLOST if you're directly benefited by it, but THAT number is FAR less than the 51 percent of the vote needed. After all that 6 to 8 Million dollars of "educational funds" was paid to SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE.

icecold 1 year, 10 months ago

lol some of you people must REALLY love sitting in traffic.

R 1 year, 10 months ago

Not really,

But we HATE being taxed for ten years or 6 BILLION or so and then "to infinity and beyond" just to get the golden opportunity to still sit in the same traffic... just poorer as they charge to access the "fruits of our improvements" of the tax we just paid...

that only improved things a couple minutes of travel time because we DIDN'T demand better at the start.

waiting for the studies to be completed...

icecold 1 year, 10 months ago

I believe that the studies said that this project would reduce traffic by 4-6%, which may seem insignificant but in the grand scheme of things would have a real impact. Plus businesses have been shying away from the metro-atlanta area because of our transportation issues, and going to places like Houston/Raleigh instead. I know that we all hate taxes, but the fact that we're living in a region that is having a hard time supporting the growth that we've seen over the past 20 years is undeniable and something has to be done to address it. The longer we rate, the worse it will get.