Hunter to run for BOC

Tommy Hunter

Tommy Hunter

BUFORD -- Gwinnett County Planning Commissioner Tommy Hunter has announced his candidacy to run for the District 3 seat of the Board of Commissioner.

"This is a wonderful district that I have loved my entire life, it deserves a County Commissioner who has an open-door policy toward constituents," the Republican said in a press release. "I will offer that open door if I am fortunate enough to serve you in this office. I will not forget who my boss is when elected, which are the residents of District 3."

The Buford resident is an engineering consultant and businessman who serves on the Municipal-Gwinnett County Planning Commission as the Commission's representative on the Development Advisory Committee.

The District 3 seat is currently held by Republican incumbent Mike Beaudreau, who is seeking re-election for a third term. Last year, Dacula resident Mike Korom and former Snellville Mayor Jerry Oberholtzer announced they would run for the District 3 board seat.

Due to reapportionment, District 3 boundaries now include portions of the Braselton and Chateau Elan areas in the northern part of the county, as well as Centerville, Snellville, Grayson, Loganville and Dacula.

Comments

roaads1 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll be sticking with Mike Beaudreau. He is someone I have watched make tough choices for Gwinnett. He was the one that exposed the "land deals' by paying for independent appraisals on those properties. He came under fire for it by Bannister. I know everyone has an opinion but let's not forget that. Mike has integrity even if you don't always agree with him. This guy might too but an unknown at this point scares me. We just now got the board cleaned up.

BufordGuy 1 year, 11 months ago

That's good logic, just like folks that will stick with Obama because he's made "tough" choices even though they don't agree with them. Same logic folks up here used to give us 16 years of Kenerly. This guy should have been our District 4 commissioner, but apparently not enough folks learned the lesson from Kenerly. Beaudreau was complacent on as many land deals as he wasn't.

jack 1 year, 11 months ago

Mike has integrity.....just ask the folks he screwed out of their cell tower deal.

nicholson 1 year, 11 months ago

Mike Beaudreau, like so many politicians, feels that government knows best and is smarter than its constituents. His brilliant trash plan is a prime example - I pay more now for garbage service than before, its billed 12 months in advance and I have no recourse; additionally the poorly thought out plan has cost the county taxpayers millions in legal fees by the inept management of the bid process. Mike certainly has not demonstrated the integrity you talk about - he doesn't answer his constituents concerns and shows contempt for those that disagree. He has been on the board long enough and done enough damage and needs to go. I am in his district and will vote for anyone other than Beaudreau.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

roaads Sir - you might a MUCH broader definition of "CLEAN" than some of us other chickens out here...

GeauxLSU 1 year, 11 months ago

I'd STRONGLY recommend those in district 3 vote for Mr. Hunter. I've known Tommy for some years now and am not someone to let 'knowing' someone interfere with objectivity. Tommy time and time again has proven himself beyond reproach, unwavering in his conservative ideals, a true public servant and someone not afraid of actual work. If you want transparency and meaningful change, Mr. Hunter is your man. If you've been happy with the way the commission has been run for these last several embarassing years, then by all means keep the same faces around.
I've had more than enough arrogance out of our commissioners for a while.
Thank you for running Mr. Hunter!

jjbod1 1 year, 11 months ago

Tommy Hunter has tried to run a few times in the past, so he is not just some new guy on the scene. I myself never voted for him before, but i think its time for a new change in Gwinnett. Tommy I have met you a few times at past debates, I will say you seem to be a true good hearted person, who really does care about Gwinnett. I can honestly say you will get my vote this time around, good luck : )

FordGalaxy 1 year, 11 months ago

I used to go to church with Tommy and I still count him among my friends. If I lived in Gwinnett County still, I would vote for him.

MrBuford 1 year, 11 months ago

Tommy will get my vote and many others in Buford and other cities in the district. The problem with the BOC is that there has been an absence of elected commissioners from the Buford/Sugar Hill area over the past decade or so.

This year Tommy will change that. You folks can say what you want, but when Tommy Hughes and Wayne Hill served on the commission, it was not plagued by scandal, and they lead Gwinnett through years of explosive growth and the county is better off for it.

Mr. Hunter all of BTOWN will work hard to ensure that you are elected.

R 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr Buford you must have a REALLY BROAD definition painting with THAT Hill/Hughes brush. There were rocks in the river revenue then too but the stream was far higher. I will concede the cost was FAR, FAR lower vs. revenue coming in, at least as far as we know...

rob0362 1 year, 11 months ago

The only reason there was no Scandal with Wayne he Scared the Crap out of People and Knew how to COVER it up. There was never a development or Developer Wayne Hill did not like and help. Hill was bad and so was Kenerly and Bannister. All I care about is Killing that DAMN Airport Deal

Dubbin 1 year, 11 months ago

Anyone know Mr. Hunter's position on the airport?

Gwinnettborn_raised1 1 year, 11 months ago

He is against the airport exspansion! Tommy is a man of character. He knows whats going on in the county. If you want a commissioner that is going to work for you then Tommy is your man. I cant wait until integrity is restored to district three. Dacula, and Grayson will work hard to ensure you are elacted!!!!! No more Beaudreau!!!!

Gwinnettborn_raised1 1 year, 11 months ago

Tommy is only candidate that I think can beat Beaudreau. On top of that he knows whats going on in the county. Tommy is a great man, and his values line up directly with mine. His vision for the district is point on, and to be quite honest I feel his time is now. His stand on the airport exspansion, and the SOCIALIZED garbage plan are very straight forward. NO! Not because it's election time either. I challenge all the voters in this district to email, call Tommy. If your looking for leader that handle the tough decisions that the county and district face then look no more. Grayson, and Dacula are behind you Tommy!!!!

kentk49 1 year, 11 months ago

I have known Tommy for over 20 years. He is a man made of honesty and integrity. A real straight shooter, he is as straight as an arrow! There are no hidden agendas with him, unlike your average politition. I know he will work hard for the people of North Gwinnett District#3. I wish I lived there because voting for Tommy is a no-brainer. He is definitely the man for that job!

LJP1701 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr. Hunter is a man of integrity. I have known him for several years now and I know him to be hard working and a true man of his word. He will work to ensure the voices of the voters, and not just his, are heard in the commission chamber and votes.

Kent 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr. Beaudreau is the classic egotistical politician who continually ignores the constituents who do not agree with his agenda. His yes vote on the land deals, the stadium, the trash plan, and over spending on parks and libraries have shown him to be a Democrat with a Republican label. Not to mention his attempted bribe to older citizens for a vote via a reduction in fees of his fabulous garbage plan. At this point Mr. Hunter seems to be a viable candidate to kick Mike off the throne.

rob0362 1 year, 11 months ago

Seriouly People Stop complaining about the Garbage Plan. The Pay way less they take WAY more and the county is cleaner. I see less Mexican dump bags of Trash in the county now that every house has Garbage pick up. I Recycle way more because It is included. Thsi plan was not bad and if you look at most Better Manager Growth Counties(like Dekalb, Dekalb is a dump now but it did not always use to be) garbage pick up is a County service you pay for in Water and Sewer