Wesleyan boys, girls ousted in first round of soccer playoffs

NORCROSS -- For Wesleyan, both the girls and boys soccer teams opened the first round of playoffs Friday night in Norcross. Both suffered the same fate.

The girls lost a tough 2-1 game to Galloway, while the boys were beaten by Walker 4-1.

The girls fell behind in the 57th minute following a scoreless opening half when Galloway's Amanda Cole beat a defender and shot the ball by the keeper.

The Wolves, with a renewed sense of urgency, began to push the action and were able to apply pressure to create scoring chances.

One of those chances resulted in a goal by Maddie Hall. She corralled an errant shot and placed the ball in the right corner of the net to even the game in the 70th minute.

However, the 1-1 tie was short-lived. Galloway's Ali Perry found herself unguarded in the box and scored to restore the Galloway lead less than a minute later.

"Our keeper headed it and she (Perry) wasn't marked," Wesleyan head coach Lacy Gilbert said. "It wasn't our keeper's fault, they just made a quick transition and we broke down on that."

Wesleyan created a number of chances down the stretch, but was unable to find the equalizer.

The boys took the field later and quickly found themselves in a 2-0 hole.

"We gave up two goals in the first eight or nine minutes," Wesleyan head coach Billy Coxhead said. "Obviously there is a greater sense of urgency when that happens, being down, there is a greater sense of urgency than if we were tied or up one."

Wesleyan fought hard to get back in the game and cut the Walker lead to one in the 18th minute when Cort Coxhead lined up a header that beat the keeper and got the Wolves back in the game.

"I felt like when we closed it to 2-1, momentum had swung in our favor," Billy Coxhead said.

The Wolves controlled much of the action for the remainder of the half, but were unable to tie the game as attempts at the goal went wide and crosses went through the zone with no one to make a play on the ball.

"I felt like we had more possession in the box than they did," Billy Coxhead said. "We just couldn't finish and they did."

Wesleyan surrendered another goal seven minutes into the second half and pressed the issue a bit, according to Coxhead.

"It was kind of one of those compounding effects," he said. "You have a chance, you miss it, so you get a little more frantic the next time. So you don't relax and suddenly we are down two and we have to swing harder. It was frustrating and I think our players saw it too, to be swinging and missing, so to speak."