Buford Sunday sales begin March 18, Gwinnett in June

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Despite overwhelmingly favorable votes this week, wine aficionados won't be able to buy a bottle anywhere they want in Gwinnett this weekend.

Votes on Gwinnett and Buford ballots now make the law uniform across all jurisdictions, but it begins in Buford on March 18 while unincorporated Gwinnett stores will have to wait almost three months.

Buford City Commission Chairman Phillip Beard said the board will certify this week's referendum, which brought in a vote of 269 to 191, on Monday. The board won't change license fees, and the new law will apply that week.

"We set our ordinance up so we didn't have to wait," he said. "I don't think they'll be any revenue gains. I think it'll just shift buying habits."

The new law could help with the city's tourism, allowing people at Lake Lanier for the weekend to run to the grocery store for a six-pack of beer on Sundays, but Beard said the city is just glad to play by the same rules as the 13 other local cities that passed referenda last November.

"It just sets a level playing field," he said. "It's easier for police to enforce. It's easier for people to understand."

Gwinnett's law, which applies to grocery stores that are outside of city limits, does not take effect until June 1. Commissioners will have to set new rates for alcohol licenses selling seven days a week.

The countywide vote passed by a wide margin, with two out of three voters saying yes to the end of the blue law.

Comments

RiggaTony 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm so sad to see the secular humanists were once again able to impose their will on those of us who still respect the Sabbath (one of the Ten Commandments, btw). Just another indication of the direction this country is headed under the current administration.

If the Gwinnett county law goes into effect in June, it will be interesting to see what the county crime rate is in July. Prediction - lawlessness up, church attendance down, Sunday boozers still completely clueless about their role in our deteriorating morals.

Jan 2 years, 1 month ago

Do you really know so little about your religion? Read the bible, you know, that book that surrounds the 10 commandments. The Sabbath is Saturday, allowing alcohol sales on Sunday in no ways interferes with the Sabbath. The knew testament explains how the Apostles met on the first day of the week so the meeting would not interfere with normal Jewish Sabbath activity. The real question for you to consider: If alcohol consumption is so evil, then why is it not a sin the rest of the week.

jjbod1 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey RiggaTony. I am a very devout Christian, have been most of my life. Believe me I love and trust in the Lord. You know what else I love. "FREEDOM" If someone chooses to buy a six pack of beer or a bottle of wine on a Sunday, its no different than any other day of the week. Do you seriously think people who go to church are really going to say "Hmmm, I can buy beer today,so I think I am just going to say the heck with church and just get drunk" The Bible states in so many places, we are not to judge anyone, So if your a true christian, i am just suggesting you go back and read up. And by the way, I voted YES, not because i need to buy beer on Sunday, but because I am not GOD, and therefore do not have a right to dictate others life's.

RiggaTony 2 years, 1 month ago

jjbod1, I appreciate your viewpoint, but I'm having a difficult time reconciling your position with your stated Christian beliefs. Your argument, paraphrased, is essentially , "If you don't like it, don't do it. But don't restrict others from making their own decision."

While that sounds well and good, it puts us on a very slippery slope. Couldn't that same argument be made for gay marriage? Ideas like yours could lead to a widespread attitude of "If you don't like gay marriage, then don't get gay married. But don't stop others from doing so." Think about how that sounds, and what kind of wrath we could be inviting on ourselves for tolerating such sinful activities.

Jen1981 2 years, 1 month ago

OMG RiggaTony, be serious, everyone does whatever they want to whenever they want to, people even buy beer on a SATURDAY because they wont be able to on Sunday, come on if a person is a really religious person, They will put God (not church) first no matter what..., cause religions and churches and church people (like you) are all around but God we have only one to praise and he does not care on when or where you really praise him! People like you that say "I am so religious" are all over the place and beleive me I fear them....

jjbod1 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow man, you do really have some serious life problems. Its because of people like you , that I no longer attend organized churches, and just stick to reading my Bible, praying, and let God lead me personally. Now you are judging gay people??? Sorry once again, i personally dont understand there lifstyle, and its not for me. But i also have many gay friends, and there life choice does not affect the way i live my life or my family in any negative way. It is up to god to punish them, if he so chooses to. I will be praying for you my friend, that one day you find true peace in your heart,

dan 2 years, 1 month ago

There is nothing wrong with gay marriage. I promise you that it will be legal in Georgia within the next two decades.

secularhumanist 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure how you think anyone is imposing anything upon you. Previously YOUR religious ideas were being imposed upon others. This is simply repealing that; no one is forcing you to buy alcohol. And lest you forget in your favorite fairy tale; Jesus turns water into wine.

If you think there is honestly a correlation between church attendance and crime rates then you need to put down the bible and do some honest research. Going to christian church makes you no less likely to be a criminal than any other religion or non-religion. Frankly; it's zealots such as yourself trying to impose your religious will on people that's ruining the country. Look at crime rates in countries with lower percentages of "believers" of any religion and you'll see staggeringly LOW crime rates. Religion doesn't equal morality. Doing the right thing because it's right is 100 times better than doing the right thing because you fear a vindictive "god".

Karl 2 years, 1 month ago

plus 10 to secularhumanist for the wonderful reply to Tony

jenny0314 2 years, 1 month ago

I grew up in Virginia where Sunday sales were always in place for beer and wine (not hard liquor) and there was no additional lawlessness because of us 'Sunday boozers'.

jjbod1 2 years, 1 month ago

One more statement while I am on here. Why is the county waiting until June 1st?? They knew this was going to pass. So now we wait 3 more months, and loose tax money to the city's who already allow it. And its not just the beer or wine. Many people who are now going grocery shopping and buying several hundred in grocery's on Sundays in places where they can also pick up beer and wine while there there. And then maybe fill up there gas tank. All lost revenue. I can not wait till November, anyone who is on the local ballot that is currently in office in this county, i am voting against them. I dont care about party's anymore. Time to clean house.

FordGalaxy 2 years, 1 month ago

If you are a Christian, then to you, on a spiritual level, everyday should be the sabbath, and you should respect it as such. You cannot use the rule of law to enforce Christian beliefs on others. If you're okay with using the law to enforce Christianity, then I guess you'd be okay with using it to enfore Islam, or Hinduism, right? . I'm a Christian, but I'm also a Libertarian. So long as what a person decides to do does not infringe on the life, liberty, or property of another, then they should be free to do it. It isn't for you or anyone else to decide at the ballot box what morals the country should live by.

dentaldawg83 2 years, 1 month ago

So far all I've seen from Chairperson Nash is some real idiotic work. June?...really?...takes 3 months to calculate a $$ per day costs of an alcohol license for 6 days then multiply that figure by 7?...We need and deserve better leadership than this.

hawkman 2 years, 1 month ago

I couldn't have said it any better.. just amazing.. still would love to know what these folks would do if there wasn't any government job waiting for them..just once I'd love these people to have to operate like a real business where it's "get it done now" or get out..

kevin 2 years, 1 month ago

only in Gwinnett will it take so long to get started with Sunday beer sales. All the other places have started already. Slow poke system. Wake up BOC. Get the ball rolling for the rest of us. What is your problem? Delay, delay, delay. Name of the game.