Romney attends rally at Brookwood High School

Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney serves food a pancake breakfast at Brookwood High School in Brookwood, Ga., Sunday, March 4, 2012. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

SNELLVILLE — Roy Robinson always liked Mitt Romney, but on Sunday Romney sealed the deal with a handshake at Brookwood High School.

Robinson will vote Tuesday for Romney to become the GOP’s nominee for president.

“It was very exciting to have the presidential candidate to come to our very own high school,” Robinson said, adding that cars stacked up to his road a half mile away. “I’m ready to start putting my money where my mouth is. ... I think this election is very important.”

Serving up pancakes to 1,000 people and addressing the overflow crowd that was nearly as big outside, Romney criticized President Barack Obama’s comments on how to keep Iran from building a nuclear weapon, saying he would take a tougher stance.

But County Commissioner Mike Beaudreau said the crowd was most receptive to his message about job growth.

“It was a great honor to host him,” Beaudreau said. “It’s good for our county for our hopefully future president to know about our county.”

Romney is the third of the four remaining GOP candidates to visit Gwinnett prior to Tuesday’s vote — where Georgia is one of 10 states to decide their preference for the party’s nomination. Gingrich plans a breakfast address at the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce Tuesday.

But for Robinson, Sunday’s chance to meet Romney determined his vote.

“I wasn’t committed (before). I enjoyed the sparring,” he said. “We need someone in who can put the brakes on big government growth and spending and I think Mitt Romney can do that.”

Associated Press photo gallery and video from the Brookwood High School rally below.

Comments

Karl 2 years, 1 month ago

Great turn-out for this rally. Mitt is the only R that has a chance of beating Obama, so if you don't desire another four years of our current president, I'd strongly recommend voting for Romney tomorrow.

Jan 2 years, 1 month ago

One thing is certain. Four more years of Obama is definitely a better choice than Romney. Romney doesn't even know where he stands on major issues and is constantly apologizing for "misunderstanding the question". Give me a president that is working toward solutions instead of just attempting to understand the problems.

nicholson 2 years, 1 month ago

Jan, here is a newsflash - Obama has not solved any of our major problems and in fact, has made many problems worse, especially with Obamacare. He has used the tired old blame game (Bush + republicans) to avoid any responsibility but the truth is he had a democratic congress for his first two years. Explain to me how his turning down the Keystone pipeline to get oil from Canada is working toward a solution? At least Romney has successful executive/leadership experience, something Obama has never shown.

hawkman 2 years, 1 month ago

Exactly what solutions has Obama come up with in his 4 years ???? seriously ?? Never been so afraid for our future than I am today with the potential for this president to get reelected

Ashley 2 years, 1 month ago

I want Obama out. Will be voting for Romney.

Gundoctor1 2 years, 1 month ago

Jan, ha ha ha ha ha ha. You, undoubtedly, are a receiver of some entitlement program. The only thing that allows Obama not to be the worst president in history is Jimmy Carter. How about those gas prices Jan, is that the sign of a leader working toward seeking a solution. Every time I see an Obama sticker on a car, and I think I have seen two now, I just shake my head in amazement that anyone could possibly be that clueless. If you are correct and he wins this election our country may very well not survive.

Oh yeah I forgot it's Bush's fault. Have you ever in your life heard such accusations from any former leader of any country? Well, if your bunch doesn't win Jan, Delta is ready when you are.

Jan 2 years, 1 month ago

Gundoctor1. For full disclosure, I am a retired educator from public schools. I do receive teachers retirement and Social Security as well as insurance benefits. By your statement, I assume you have the mistaken belief that these are government handouts. Truth is, I have been investing in these during the years of my employment. I am always amazed by the attempts to downgrade Jimmy Carter and up grade Ronald Reagan. If you want to judge by the economy, Reagan's policies drove up unemployment and caused a major problem from the drastic increase in the number of homeless people. If you are a hawk and don't like the peace under Jimmy Carter, then consider that Ronald Reagan sold weapons to Iran and gave weapons to Osama Bin Laden which were later used against Americans. Hawks were quick to applaud his invasion of Granada but this lowered the opinion of Americans world wide and these actions were condemned by a vote of over 90% in the UN. As for gas prices, if the "great" Reagan had not succeeded in overturning legislation by the Carter administration, we would have more efficient cars and greater alternate energy usage today and gas prices would thus be lower. Then their is that nagging fact that gas prices peaked at over $4.10 per gallon during Bush's administration - of, I forgot, you do not like to be reminded of the utter failure of the Bush administration - deregulation that led to the banking fiasco, the Bush tax cuts that led to an explosion of the national debt, the bungling of the Iraq war. Total failure of FEMA for hurricane and flooding problems. I do not have an Obama sticker on my car because I do not want my car keyed, or worse, by people that do not want their beliefs interfered with by the truth. If you still think Carter was so bad, give me examples of why. Don't just echo unsupported accusations but check out the facts before writing. PS. Thank you for proving a point that I have made in the past. When left without supportable facts, the right wing always resorts to insults.

nicholson 2 years, 1 month ago

Jan, I hope you didn't teach history or economics as an educator, because your distortion of the facts is startling. You tend to leave out, among so many things, that it was during Carter's administration that the Community Reinvestment Act was initially passed, which later was strengthened by the Clinton administration, and led to the housing crisis, as banks were forced to lend to folks who were not credit worthy. An educated person knows that the financial fiasco took many years to happen, not overnight by some deregulation during Bush's term. Now please answer my question posed to you previously - how is Obama turning down the Keystone pipeline and not allowing us to get oil from Canada, helping this country?

Jan 2 years, 1 month ago

Nichoson, just a little research and you would not require my help for you to understand the reason Obama turned down the Keystone pipe line. First, you should realize that the project is not dead. Congress passed a bill to force the President to make a decision before sufficient data could be accumulated. He did the responsible thing and basically said "not before we can have more information". You should note that the pipeline runs to a port. If the intent were to increase gas production in the US, then it would be piped to a refinery, it could be piped to several and still be a shorter total pipe line. Why allow a Canadian company to build a pipeline through the United States for the purpose of exporting most of the oil? A little research would also reveal that, even though the President said no, that TransCanada is attempting to condemn land for the purpose of constructing the pipeline.

nicholson 2 years, 1 month ago

Jan, I asked the specific pipeline question as a test of your intellectual honesty and you failed miserably. There are already thousands of miles of pipeline existing in the region where this pipeline would go, and preliminary studies were done that said the environmental impact would be nil. Even your union compadres are for the pipeline. Your comment about a Canadian company is hilarious, considering that Obama has halted so much of the drilling in the US, especially the gulf region, and I suppose you would rather the oil go to China. Look, we ALL know the that Obama halted the pipeline for his political gain, as a payoff to his far left supporters, and it had nothing to do with helping this country as far as oil or jobs.

Jan 2 years, 1 month ago

Nicholson, I see that, armed with virtually no facts, you prefer to attack my knowledge rather than research it yourself. Your reference to the Community Reinvestment Act shows a lack of understanding. A major problem of discrimination in lending practices was observed. The act was written to clearly address discrimination and specifically stated the these loans should be "..consistent with safe and sound operation." Deregulation and reduced oversight led to mortgage brokers being able to exaggerate income and banks requiring less down payment. Couple this with the new practice of selling large packages of mortgages ,which include the mortgage brokers misrepresentation, and we have institutes like Freddy Mac over investing in poor risk mortgages and the banks then had the cash to offer more poor risk mortgages. I don't mind your insults, they only prove you do not have facts on your side. I don't even mind educating you on some facts; but to be a good student, you really should try to do more research before echoing something you heard (or read) from some right wing pundit. You should understand that almost all politicians tell some lies, but they feed talking points to the pundits to get the lies started before personally airing them.

nicholson 2 years, 1 month ago

Jan, as a certified public accountant, I audited banks for years before going into business for myself, and I can tell you that the CRA was a major factor in the problem. I know you won't listen to any facts, because you are getting your talking points from the MSNBC and Michael Moore crowd, so I won't waste my time. But just remember the saying, those that can - do, those that can't - teach.

Jan 2 years, 1 month ago

I have clearly explained the error of your thinking. If you believed you had data to support your assertion, you would not resort to insults and a futile effort to explain how knowledge you are based on your occupation. You are not the first accountant to ignore data and attempt to shift the blame to a bill that worked well for years.

nicholson 2 years, 1 month ago

Jan, Jan, Jan, my dear, I do believe it is your long winded effort that is actually proving quite futile (and downright funny) to explain how knowledgeable you think you are are based on your occupation as an "educator". The very fact that you think the Carter years were so wonderful does more to discredit your sanity than anything any one else could say!

jack 2 years, 1 month ago

Some random thoughts: The peace under Jimmy Carter, punctuated by a failed military strike into Iran, saw 52 Americans held hostage there for 444 days. The embargo on Iranian oil failed to gain release of those hostages, and merely created shortages and long lines at the pump. The deficit has risen in three years under Obama as much as it did in eight under Bush. The nagging fact that gas prices are over $4.40 now in California under the Obama administration and rising. The Keystone pipeline was proposed 2005 and has been studied since 2008, but there's insufficient data. Steven Chu, Obama's Energy Secretary tells The Wall Street Journal in the fall of 2008 that “somehow, we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.”

Just pesky facts without insults.

Oh, nicholson: you may wish to consider the fact that Jan is of the male persuasion before calling him "dear"; I hear his wife can get quite jealous!

Jan 2 years, 1 month ago

Nicholson, I am delighted that, at least, I was able to give you a few laughs. It is not my occupation but my willingness to do research to verify facts that gives me the basis for my arguments. As for the Carter years, I never said they were wonderful. I was contrasting two periods of history, two eras that I lived through. I could also give you first hand knowledge of Ford, Nixon, Johnson and Kennedy. One last recommendation, when you do research, check the validity of your sources.