Lawrenceville hires economic development director

LAWRENCEVILLE -- The city of Lawrenceville has hired a local marketing veteran to fill its newly formed position of Director of Economic Development.

Lisa Sherman, who served as vice president of marketing and public relations for Partnership Gwinnett and the Gwinnett Chamber, will manage business recruitment, retention and development.

"I look forward to serving the local business community and working with partners at the county and state to effectively market the city as a viable solution for business and community development," Sherman said in a news release.

Sherman is known for developing Partnership Gwinnett's public relations strategy, which included Partnership Gwinnett's 2010 recognition as the International Economic Development Council's best multi-year economic development program for populations of 500,000 and up.

"She is a consummate professional with a solid reputation for success in metro Atlanta," said Nick Masino, senior vice president of Partnership Gwinnett and Gwinnett Chamber Economic Development. "Her drive, coupled with her passion for community, and her experience will benefit the city of Lawrenceville greatly in launching an effective economic development program."

Sherman previously worked eight years in marketing and communications for Fortune 500 global farm equipment manufacturer and distributor, AGCO Corporation. She resides in Gwinnett with her husband of 13 years, Robert, and two children, Benjamin and Hannah.

"Lisa's regional connections, strong background and familiarity with the community and her professionalism made her the right candidate to lead community and economic development for the city," said Lawrenceville Mayor Judy Jordan Johnson.

Comments

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

I suppose the Chamber of Gluttonous Heathens sent her over to "edumacate" the fools of Lawrenceville about the benefits of the Briscoe Expansion and how brilliant Brett and the boys are.

All hail the mighty Chamber.

kevin 1 year, 10 months ago

so what is her salary GDP? Why does a city have to hire some high-priced person to "sell" their city? What have we become? So easy to spend other people's money for such reasons. Don't their council have any brains to get people to move into their city?

WantingFacts 1 year, 10 months ago

If she was responsible for developing Partnership Gwinnett's public relations strategy, maybe she will do the same thing for Lawrenceville. Sabrina Smith, who is with some group that watches local government, had been looking at Partnership Gwinnett. From what I understand, the county taxpayers are giving over a million a year to the Gwinnett Chamber. Gwinnett County Public Schools is paying the salaries of 2 Gwinnett Chamber employees with our tax money and has been doing that for years. I wonder how teachers feel about that with all of the cutbacks? The cities in Gwinnett, the CIDs and the Gwinnett Convention and Visitors Bureau all give taxpayer money to the Gwinnett Chamber. The GCVB gives $100,000 of our money to the Chamber every year. What is the Gwinnett Chamber doing for taxpayers to get that kind of money? If Sabrina Smith reads this, maybe she will comment. What do our elected officials have to say about why they give our money to the Gwinnett Chamber?

ssilover1 1 year, 10 months ago

if you have to ask all these questions to understand, you never will...

ridecss 1 year, 10 months ago

WantingFacts did you flunk out of school? I mean seriously. The GCVB gets most if not all of their funding from the hotel/ motel tax which tourists pay when they stay in Gwinnett. So how is that "our money"? People generally hire an economic development director to bring new businesses into the area they serve. In case they didn't teach you this in economics class, new business = sales tax dollars and JOBS + lower property taxes in some cases. If you haven't been to downtown Lawrenceville and the surrounding area we have many vacant properties. The EDD will work to lure businesses to those properties. While I'm not a fan of big government spending, Lawrenceville has done a good job of holding costs down in tough economic times. AS a resident this is one job I can get behind.

R 1 year, 10 months ago

Its CERTAINLY seems telling by the order of the text where the focus is

"new business = sales tax dollars" then jobs....

"The GCVB gets most if not all of their funding from the hotel/ motel tax which tourists pay when they stay in Gwinnett. So how is that "our money"?"

Does it in any way pay bonds that are general county obligations - that taxpayers would be responsible for if "revenues" don't meet projections?

There is no longer such a thing as "other people's money" at any level.

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

The 400k supplement to the Chamber needs to go. The Heathens at the Chamber can do more with less as I am expected to do in business every day.

SabrinaWorks247 1 year, 10 months ago

WantingFacts: I can certainly understand your skepticism about decisions made by local elected officials. Sadly, the BOC scandals have made all of us wary and distrustful. I think it is unnecessarily impolite for ridecss and ssilover1 to insult you because of your skepticism. I believe you have legitimate concerns and there is nothing wrong with taxpayers asking for assurances, particularly given recent events, that our elected officials are spending our money wisely. I also believe that it is unwise to only be concerned about local property taxes. The federal stimulus money was taxpayer money and so are the taxes collected which fund the Gwinnett Conventions & Visitors Bureau. I would add a word of caution about directing your distrust in the right direction. The employees of the Gwinnett Chamber are not to blame for poor decisions made by our elected officials, or the decisions of the Board of the Gwinnett Chamber. I have met Lisa Sherman and found her to be smart, hardworking, and professional. There are many members of my organization who are employees of Gwinnett County, and they are just as disturbed as everyone else by the actions of some BOC members. I urge everyone to judge each elected official individually. If we assume all of them are crooks, it makes it that much more difficult for the good ones to do their job.

SabrinaWorks247 1 year, 10 months ago

WantingFacts: I have filed several open records requests to gather information for my members about the taxpayer funding of the Gwinnett Chamber. I have not finished my work on this topic, as I am spending most of time out of state due to an illness in the family. I am always happy to share the results of open records requests, as the purpose of the open records law is to ensure that taxpayers have access to information concerning the decisions made by elected officials. If anyone is interested in this information, I have a hotmail email address that includes the user name I use here. I may be slow to respond until I get back in town and I'm not sure how long I will be gone. Most of my members already have copies of this information and I'm sure they will be glad to share it with friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.