Saturday, June 9, 2012
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
WINDER -- The Georgia Historical Society plans to dedicate a historical marker to the Glenwood Elementary and High School in Winder at 11 a.m. Saturday, as Barrow County's first consolidated African-American school.
According to a news release from the Georgia Historical Society, Glenwood was one of Georgia's first public consolidated schools for African-Americans. It "served as a source of community pride and independence during the era of segregated schooling."
"It was established in 1951 as part of Georgia's effort to improve segregated school buildings for all students and preserve segregation by demonstrating the possibility of maintaining racially separate public schools," the news release states.
Glenwood closed in 1970 and was reopened as the integrated Winder-Barrow Middle School.
The historical marker is a collaboration of the Georgia Historical Society, the Glenwood Barrow County High School Alumni Association Inc., the Barrow County Board of Education and the Barrow County Historical Society.
The Georgia Historical Society has administered Georgia's statewide marker program since 1998, erecting over 180 historical markers across the state on a wide variety of subjects.
For more information, visit www.georgiahistory.com