Sidewalks, upgrades coming to Gwinnett Place

DULUTH -- Work is getting started on projects to beautify the Gwinnett Place area.

Officials from the local Community Improvement District announced the beginning of construction for three streetscapes and six sidewalk projects in the area surrounding the county's oldest mall.

The plans include upgrades such as benches, trashcans, brick pavers and landscaping to accompany new sidewalks on portions of Pleasant Hill Road and Satellite Boulevard. New sidewalks will also be coming to Koger Boulevard, Pineland Road and portions of Steve Reynolds Boulevard, Old Norcross Road, Sweetwater Road and Venture Drive.

"We are enthusiastic about the new pedestrian improvement projects, which will bring a whole new look to sections of Gwinnett's central business district," CID Executive Director Joe Allen said. "Gwinnett County has been a tremendous partner in getting these initiatives underway. Gwinnett DOT has been with us from the very beginning of the planning to their leadership role in the construction."

The projects will be under construction this summer, with the work expected to wrap up in October. The job will result in some lane closures, officials warned.

The projects are funded with CID dollars as well as state transportation enhancement grants and county funds.

Comments

jjbod1 1 year, 10 months ago

So it looks like they are going to blow even more tax payer money to put lipstick on a pig. When are they going to give up???? That area is dead and done for!!! Leave the dead horse alone!

OrganicGrl 1 year, 10 months ago

jjbod1- I totally agree with you. Their are so many areas need improvement and you are spending tax payers money on areas that will have no benefit to us taxpayers in Gwinnett County.

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

At least the shoplifters and thugs will have multiple getaway options.

Karl 1 year, 10 months ago

If only the three of you above posters had the slightest idea of how CID taxes are derived you wouldn't be making such assinine statements.

Cleanupguy 1 year, 10 months ago

Darn, you beat me to it - thanks! Yes, geniuses, Karl has a clue - you might want to do some homework before inserting feet into your respective mouths.

slumlord 1 year, 10 months ago

All taxes are derived from taxpayers. This project is funded with CID taxes as well as state taxes and county taxes.

R 1 year, 10 months ago

"leadership in leveraging local cooperation and funds to obtain significant FEDERAL support for infrastructure is outstanding" The goal of a well run CID.

As long as its clear you aren't just using "self taxed" resources any longer.

Sandykin 1 year, 10 months ago

Keeping the area looking neat and well kept is of value to all in the county. Just because the population in the area doesn't look like it did 30 years ago, doesn't mean it's a pig or dead or deteriorating. From what I've seen, the area is vibrant and viable to the community that is there. They deserve the same improvements as the community you live in.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 10 months ago

no kidding, we gwinnecians wouldn't want out of town visitors getting the right idea about that area..

allison2011 1 year, 10 months ago

Exactly! Thank you! I get so tired of people putting down Duluth! I love it here.

allison2011 1 year, 10 months ago

Why all the negativety about Gwinnett Place? I live in the City of Duluth, and I want them to keep the area up by Gwinnett Place Mall! Why would you say that it does not affect you? Any part of Gwinnett going down affects the whole county. I have lived in Gwinnett for 34 years and I don't plan on leaving just because the demographics have changed. Try and see the good in all people. You can have bad things happening anywhere, even in the "perfect" Alpharetta.

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

I fully understand how the taxes are derived and also that the taxes are fully passed onto the consumer, no matter the form of the tax.

I stand by my comment. And I avoid the area.

icecold 1 year, 10 months ago

God forbid people who aren't affluent get infrastructure upgrades to their neighborhoods. Also, while you people are yelling about "thugs" and "drug dealers" in this area, you might wanna tell your kids to stop coming over to that area to buy from them.

allison2011 1 year, 10 months ago

Awesome comment! ie: the over indulged teens from North Fulton!

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

Be careful about discussing infrastructure upgrades at this time; the citizens almost had a whopper foisted upon them by the Gluttonous Heathens in the Briscoe fiasco.

The citizens face another whopper in T-Splost and that, too, must be put down.

Stories such as this serve only one purpose: to get the citizenry used to the terms: transportation enhancements, county funds (used for altruistic purposes of course), and tax (although this not used in the above article). These words along with T-Splost will begin to fill every vacant portion of any newspaper, etc. in order to align your thoughts with positive feelings and thus, hopefully, a yes vote to T-Splost. They will even settle for your staying at home with your positive feelings as well on poll day.

The citizens should keep in mind the following during this time: criminal, drug dealer, thief, corruption, shady, county commissioner, and cartel. Put those together however you shall.

Above all remember that only a fool votes to tax themselves.

icecold 1 year, 10 months ago

Right, because the folks who live in this area aren't citizens or "real Americans" right?

Karl 1 year, 10 months ago

@ CD--

You say only a fool votes to tax themselves (sic). It sounds as though you are either an anarchist or would prefer to live solo on a deserted island.

I hope you choose the latter, and soon.

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

Karl: I can only say that I have yet voted to tax myself; the Gluttonous Heathens do that for me.

icecold 1 year, 10 months ago

Nobody needs taxes! The magical free market will put out our fires, and police our neighborhoods!

Karl 1 year, 10 months ago

In CD's lala land it's every man for himself. As in pave your road in front of your house yourself, take your garbage to a private dump yourself, put out your house fire yourself, arrest-detain-try-and incarcerate that burglar yourself.

Ah, yes, CD and his lala land. How wonderful the world would be.

CD 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll compare returns any time to see who has paved more roads, etc., but I've yet to vote to tax myself into oblivion.

ssilover1 1 year, 10 months ago

Great project! Gwinnett Place CAN be revitalized like many others across the US> It takes optimism and action. Go for it CID and others who WANT success. Success breeds success. If you don't believe it, move to another place.