0

Man sentenced for Meadowcreek HS bomb threat

ATLANTA — A Chicago man was sentenced in federal court Thursday for sending false bomb threats to several Atlanta-area schools, including Meadowcreek High.

Valtrez Stewart, 29, was sentenced to 3 years, 10 months in prison Thursday, nearly 18 months after authorities said he mailed threats to Meadowcreek, Northview and Marietta high schools, as well as Stephenson Middle. He pleaded guilty in January.

According to U.S. Attorney Sally Yates, Stewart mailed threats made of newspaper and magazine clippings to the schools between Jan. 28 and Feb. 2 of last year, claiming “that a bomb would detonate at the school killing at least 20 people” and promising “brutal murders” if money wasn’t sent to people whose names were included.

An FBI investigation determined that Stewart sent the threats to get authorities to harass those individuals named, who had no knowledge of the letters and against whom Stewart had a grudge.

Stewart’s sentence will be followed by three years of supervised release.

“It is disturbing that this individual threatened children and wasted law enforcement resources as part of his retaliation scheme,” Yates said. “Every bomb threat is taken seriously and, as the defendant learned today, there are serious consequences whether the threat is real or a hoax.”