BOC says no to commercial flights plan

Gwinnett County Commissioners Charlotte Nash and Mike Beaudreau listen to Brett Smith, the CEO of Propeller Airports, during the Board of Commissioners meeting at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center in Lawrenceville. Commissioners rejected Propeller's proposal to add commercial flights at the Gwinnett County Airport.

photo

Staff Photo: Brendan Sullivan Opponents of the proposal to add commercial flights at the Gwinnett County Airport applaud after commissioners rejected Propeller's proposal during the Board of Commissioners meeting at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center in Lawrenceville on Tuesday. Residents who oppose scheduled flights wore red shirts in protest.

LAWRENCEVILLE — Lawrenceville’s Briscoe Field will remain a small field for general aviation flights, after commissioners Tuesday unanimously rejected a move to add scheduled flights.

“Citizens, you made a difference,” said community leader Gaye McNeill. “We never lost sight of our goal.”

The controversy, which has divided the county for three years, causing angst especially in the surrounding community, ended after a county transportation staff recommendation against allowing a private business to take over, making a $110 million investment to the airport. Officials said the promise of a minimum annual payment of $500,000, as well as an unvalidated increase in sales tax, did not justify waiving ad valorem taxes for the upgrades and needed roadway improvements for which the county would be responsible. The financial details of the proposal, officials said, were lacking, giving the proposal only a 51 percent score out of 100.

A month ago, a citizens review group also recommended the county retain control and stop the proposed scheduled service.

Not only was the specific proposal rejected but commissioners also voted Tuesday to withdraw its application to a Federal Aviation Administration pilot program on privatization.

“I’m just happy with the way the vote came out. I’m pleased we are at this point,” said Chairwoman Charlotte Nash. “That gets one very divisive issue to the side.”

After last week’s resignation of Commissioner Shirley Lasseter, who pleaded guilty to federal bribery charges, proponents of the move had called for commissioners to delay the decision and allow the public to vote on the matter.

“We’re exploring our options,” referring to a possible lawsuit, said Brett Smith of Propeller Airports, which proposed adding scheduled flights at the Gwinnett County Airport. “I think the bulk of the county has been less than genuine and quite frankly outrageous.”

Attorney Doug Dillard added, “the staff report is irresponsible and unresponsive. We want a decision on the merits.”

While a U.S. attorney said in court last week that Lasseter’s vote on the airport issue was “for sale,” Smith denied ever offering a bribe. “I’m as shocked as you are, and we have done nothing wrong,” Smith said.

While the company has said it wants to add limited commercial flights, Propeller’s specific proposal was never viewed by the public, per county purchasing requirements. It was released shortly after Tuesday’s decision.

Smith and Dillard said the procedure made it impossible for the public to fully vet the idea.

But Commissioners Lynette Howard and Mike Beaudreau, who voted last year, along with Lasseter, to pursue the proposal process, said officials were given the opportunity to make an informed decision.

They said their votes Tuesday did not reflect a change in opinion on the value of privatization but rather the months of debate and evaluation allowed them to formulate their minds with the needed facts.

“I just said it needs to go through completely in a scientific process. We had to know the answers,” Howard said.

“What was submitted was clearly not going to be good for the county,” Beaudreau added.

The decision brought applause from a group of hundreds of citizens who have turned out to the courthouse for months, wearing red shirts to protest the plan, based on purported noise, pollution and quality of life issues.

“We love our community, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making the vote that will let our community go on,” Catherine Gilley told commissioners after the vote.

But Jim Regan of the grassroots group Citizens for a Better Gwinnett said his group would remain vigilant.

“This thing could come up at any time after the election,” Regan said, pointing to a Nov. 6 special election to fill Lasseter’s unexpired term.

Comments

docfinder1 2 years, 6 months ago

Funny...he said: " I think the bulk of the county has been less than genuine and quite frankly outrageous.” Ummm...if the bulk of the county is against your view, outrageous or not, that in effect means we do not want you here.....so LEAVE...with your propeller between your legs! The problem with him is that he fails to see that the County has the right to decide, and the people in the area around the airport have a right to a quality of life, and that our commissioners are supposed to speak for us..NOT SPEAK INSTEAD OF US! **

Gwinnett Wins

Propeller spends 2 MILLION - threatens lawsuit (Where that went who knows?, it wasn't in the actual proposal development UNLESS they bought the glossy French Brochures.)_

Brett throws a tantrum - thank the LORD - he's not our business partner now !!!

EthicsInGwinnett 2 years, 6 months ago

When can we expect Korom and Oberholtzer to drop out since the only purpose of their campaigns was to stop Briscoe expansion?

Hunter is running for revenge, Korom and Oberholtzer need to drop out, thus Beaudreau has smooth sailing for reelection.

pcjohn 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope not, Ethics. Beaudreau jammed that un-American garbage plan down our throats and I hope they pick him up at the curb and drop him in the landfill.

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

Not to mention the oh so ethical stealing of the cell phone tower from the folks at Rabbit Hill....that now means a law suit....so great of Mike to take their deal to pay the county.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Keep DREAMING it will make you feel better...

Mike Korom has listed far more than the just the airport that needs a fixin there my friend...

And now it seems folks have the attention of the incumbent too - Should be good.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Mike Korom was a one trick pony....Briscoe. Now not only his his trick no longer relevant he faces an incumbant that did EXACTLY what he said he would do...Commissioner Beaudreau took the time to get informed...request and look at the preposal and then did EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT AN ELECTED OFFICIAL TO DO. He voted based on what was best for D-3 and Gwinnett County.

In anyone's dictionary...that's a man operating with clear integrity.

I don't think it's smooth sailing for Commissioner Beaudreau but I do believe he is certainly the front runner...same as he was before the decision.

The one in real trouble of fast becoming irrelevant is Mike Korom.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Come on Floyd, you personally posted enough in Mike Korom's Dacula Patch blog space to KNOW this statement of yours is COMPLETELY UNTRUE!!

(Had lunch with Brett too many times did we?)

So does this "maneuver" of yours acknowledge he's a competitive threat to the incumbent?

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

Amen! Our prayers have been answered!!!!!

CD 2 years, 6 months ago

If a suit is filed, I will be more than willing to pay higher taxes to fight it off. Good riddance, Brett. What was the vote tally?

Dubbin 2 years, 6 months ago

Cheaper to defend a lawsuit than be saddled with Propeller.

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

The vote was 4-0 to reject the proposal and 4-0 to withdraw the application from the FAA.

Poor Brett...maybe he can grab TeeLee and head to the back country for a glass of moonshine where they can both drown their tears in a mason jar.

Finally....the BOC has done something right for a change.

Thanks Floyd for telling us the vote before hand. Kinda figured you were tipping Mikes hand for us.

Greg...wrong again.

Operating as a man of integrity does, Commissioner Beaudreau did not share his decision with me in advance. Actually, I did not even ask him and I doubt he would have said anything had I asked.

What I did know in advance, the same as you now know, Commissioner Beaudreau would get as informed as was possible to do, including requesting and reviewing proposal(s), and then make a decision that was CLEARLY made on what was in the best interests of the District he represents and Gwinnett County.

Give the man credit due.

nicholson 2 years, 6 months ago

If Mikey is so concerned about being informed, why did he RAM the trash plan down our throats and cost the county taxpayers millions of dollars in lawsuits from the mess he created? Why did he feel government knows best in choosing my trash hauler and had to take away the rights of the free market? Why can he never answer any constituent emails? I am in his district and can only hope the sheeple that elected him wake up and vote him out.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Brett might have a different slant here - that comment exchange was PERSONAL.

Pragmatic 2 years, 6 months ago

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

I have his credit - right here!

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Typical of your postings. I didn't expect you to admit you were wrong and give Commissioner Beaudreau credit. I'm trying to get my surprised face working but I just can't make it work. Maybe next time.

Dubbin 2 years, 6 months ago

Based on what I saw at the meeting I think Howard still wants to expand the airport and Beaudreau seemed like he was hemming and hawing about the airport's future as well. This chapter may be over but nobody should let their guard down - there will be more crooks in the future trying to skim money off the airport. Voters in Districts 1 and 3 should consider their vote carefully. Laurie McClain (running for District 1) is a member of Fly Gwinnett Forward - she is on their web site saying what a great idea expanding the airport would be.

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree. And my earlier "amen" was in response to R's comment.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 6 months ago

Dead on there regarding Howard, Dubbin - she's always been strongly pro-stupid (Briscoe). She epitomized NIMBY, and even her former PTC buddies are surprised. Beaudreau is a weather vane, whichever way the wind is blowing. I'm in District 1, and our next move is clear - McClain MUST be defeated - already have lookouts posted for her cash flow and supporters, should be VERY interesting.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

An active pilot during the comments period at the end of the session challenged Lynette Howard's comment about "extending the runway for safety" as unnecessary and that really it would be a backdoor to larger aircraft - down the road.

Of course she can be heard asking to talk one on one with him after the session - which in reality would be off the record.

dav 2 years, 6 months ago

hey brett, there s a one way plane ticket waiting for you

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

Brett Smith said during open discussion....

We can make all the campaign speeches we want now Commissioner Beaudreau or we can talk about issues to put more money into the airport … but the bottom line now is that you, commissioners, have not fulfilled the fiduciary responsibility which you had,” Smith said.

You've wasted alot of peoples time...."

Well Brett....so haven't you. You've wasted 2-3 yrs of our lives trying to force your business venture down the throats of those who did not want it...... Once you got a taste of the opposition you should have folded up and left. The other bidders heard us! Its your fault that you did not.

Don't be mad at the BOC.

But I do understand you being upset with Mike. He led us all to believe that he was all for YOU.

But be happy.....we will still try our best to vote him out of office. Maybe you can be happy with that.....

See you later BrettyBoy!!

MarciaG 2 years, 6 months ago

I was opposed to expansion of the airport, but Mr. Smith was on target about Mike Beaudreau's "campaign speech." today. Mikey threw his buddy Brett under the bus and cast a politically motivated vote. Now he's hoping Dist. 3 voters will remember his vote "against airport expansion" and forget everything else the weasel has done.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Marcia...utter nonsense. Instead of parrotting what you've heard others say you should be giving Commissioner due credit for getting informed on the issue and making a decision that was clearly based on what was in the best interests of Gwinnett County and District 3.

For crying out loud...give the man his credit.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Greg...I agree with you re:Brett Smith. I think he embarrassed himself today.

Disagree with you re:Commissioner Beaudreau. He did NOT lead you to believe he was an unswaying YES vote...that belong to the hysterical parrots who suddenly are no where to be found. He did exactly what you want him to do...get informed and make a decision that was in the best interests of D3 and Gwinnett County.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

"hysterical parrots" You mean the citizens he saw at his Monthly with Mike meetings?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

No...I mean the hysterical parrots posting here and on patch that constantly said Commissioner Beaudreau was an unwavering YES vote on the issue.

You'll note how few of them are here today...surprised? I'm not.

Stand up and give the man credit due. You owe him that much.

elephanthead 2 years, 6 months ago

The pet shop owner is back defending his boy. Raack! Mike is toast! Mike is toast! Raack! Give it a rest, campaign manager.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

You keep dreaming that dream and talk to me on August 1st.

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd...he never once was empathetic with people in his district. Its all recorded at the "Patch"...his actions at that time led us to believe he did not care what we had to say, and by those actions led us to believe that this was a done deal. I believe had Lasseter not been caught...Mike would have gone the other way. Sorry....but that's your pals fault for being an arrogant politician. Don't blame us for his display of utter disdain of his constituents.....

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

You saw clips on one time...nothing more. To begin with, keep in mind that the ONLY reason for the clips existence in the first place is because Commissioner Beaudreau is doing what he promised way back in 2004...were you around then and remember those 8x4 signs? One of the promises made was Saturday office hours. Promise made...promise kept...seems to be a trend with him, eh? If he was like most in G.C. would you be able to meet with your elected official during such times? Keep that in mind when you are talking about him not caring what people had to say. No getting around that one.

Greg, your belief that he would have voted differently had Lasseter not been caught is nothing more than opinion and frankly a baseless one at that. Today you clearly saw an elected official who took the time to get informed and make what we all know was a decision in the best interests of D3 and Gwinnett County. You can't say otherwise without your fingers crossed behind our back.

Tiny incomplete clips vs. nearly 8 years of service to the district and county, promises made and promises kept, proven integrity and leadership. Sounds like a winner for Commissioner Beaudreau...I suspect the voters will say as much as well.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

You know...I do want to let you know that I do agree with the general feeling regarding local politicians. I do agree with that wholeheartedly. I personally know of people I wouldn't vote for at gunpoint. BUT I also know others who I'd volunteer for if they were running for public office in Oregon. There are still people who conduct themselves as we all know they should.

If I didn't know Commissioner Beaudreau the way I do I wouldn't be as passionate in my support for him. I don't ever get anything from him for my support except just a really good public servant.

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

aahhahahhaha Brett and Mike trying to throw each other under the bus. aahahahahhhah

Geezer 2 years, 6 months ago

Bret Smith said “I think the bulk of the county has been less than genuine and quite frankly outrageous.” If that is so then why was he preaching decision by referendum of the Gwinnett population just prior to the vote?

Bret sounds like a salesman who just lost the opportunity for a fat commission check for closing a deal, doesn't he? He is not concerned about Gwinnett county. He is concerned about his bank account.

And Laurie M better think twice about running and trying to vote an airport expansion in. What was good for Shirley L. will be good for Laurie M if she is not smart enough to know that the FBI and the IRS will be watching for years to come.

Briscoe Field is the property of the folks of Gwinnett county. For a bunch of yankees to come down here and try to steal it by spreading lies and other influence is a slap in the face of every Gwinnett citizen.

It is our airport and PI can get on their plane and get their carpetbagger butts back to where they came from. I am so pround of the Gwinnett citizens who stood up and fought for what was right.

The good guys won for once at the Gwinnett BOC.

catperson2 2 years, 6 months ago

I will give you a double AMEN!

wethepeople 2 years, 6 months ago

Point of reference, the airport in reality is owned by the FAA. While the County does generate a few bucks out of the facility, the FAA could (and probably should) close the airport down for good. It's an economic drain on government resources, serves as a country club to less than one tenth of one percent of the County's population, and there's no plausible reason for continuing its existence since corporate air traffic can land at PDK (let them enjoy the noise). Furthermore, any future improvements come at the County's expense. Close it down and convert the land to either a subdivision or another recycling plant. Or better yet, let the City of Lawrenceville figure out what to do with it!

Cleanupguy 2 years, 6 months ago

Best of all, we'll get at leat one more pantload of idiocy from teepee, and maybe even some more pictures of her house.

docfinder1 2 years, 6 months ago

Beaudreau has been way too fickle, and has not listened to those in his district, until that is he started to see the writing on the wall. Now he wants to act like he speaks/cares about his district and how we feel? I think not. I PRAY that somebody runs against this guy..anyone..please... This won't be over until he is removed from his position, and the person who replaces him goes on record with their position about commercialization and privatization of Briscoe. That way we can hold them to it down the road, and everyone can see what a liar they are.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

He has GOT primary competition on July 31st... So just hop on down and pull the lever for Mike K ( Mike KOROM) if so inclined.

He's Mike K - the OTHER white meat ... (Peanut - Jeff Dunhan)

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

R...Mike Korom is a one trick pony...it's Briscoe first and foremost and he just had his only issue ripped away by a man clearly operating in the county's best interests and with integrity.

I personally believe Korom is in trouble of quickly becoming irrelevant

R 2 years, 6 months ago

(Had lunch with Brett too many times did we?)

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

Comon Floyd - put the TEA down will ya' - It's effecting your brain.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

docfinder...your clear lack of even the slightest knowledge of this election cycle completely invalidates the rest of your post. What you just saw was an elected official doing EXACTLY what he said he would do. Commissioner Beaudreau got as informed as he could get (including requesting and evaluating proposal(s)) and then making a decision that was not only OBVIOUSLY informed but also CLEARLY in the best interests of District 3 and Gwinnett County.

You want to replace someone like that? I'm glad there are a LOT more of me and a LOT fewer of you in the district.

You SHOULD be giving the man credit.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd Yes there are TOO many in your district that invalidate opinions of others and routinely talk down to the electorate, instead of educating them and accepting input - even if it’s something they may NOT agree with.

This often results in TELLING others how they should think and not hearing a word themselves....

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Yep no reply - we love ya anyway

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

R...I thought you were talking about yourself...sorry...

"In my district..."??? are you not in D-3? If not I'd have to say that just on a practical level you've not experienced much in the local political area. Talk down to the electorate? Huh? So much so that he won EVERY precinct in the last election including the home precinct of his competition?

R 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe you stated your district - replied in same context.

ALOT has happened since that last election including the final court resolution of the trash plan and the voting in 2008 was a mess.

If the only way you believe you can build a case is to continue attempts at belittling folks - just keep on trucking there sport. We all recognize your EXPERT political status and fairly decent debate skills …

Excellent debaters can present without giving a second thought to actual content or accuracy, the only standard is to win. You can WIN an argument on style points and LOSE the real issue (read people) in the process and I’ve seen this FAR too much.

Its time for an expanded set of players. As to my experience, well I think we would have been left short if Mike B had jumped to the State races before we built local replacements and that process is underway right now. As I have posted from the start, primaries build candidates and shine a light where it would never be shown without one.

And if Mike B prevails, he will have had to incorporate some of the issues and adjust for discontent revealed here, whether admitted publicly or not – it doesn’t matter as long as growth occurs. I feel for Mike B at times because he came in under Bannister - heck of a teacher there.

And at least we stop cycling mayors into the BOC, a development path that hasn’t really worked for us as of late- would you agree?

docfinder1 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd..Sorry I couldn't get to your post before now. I have been busy making money so I can pay my taxes, and afford a home that I have worked hard to afford in Mike's district. This is a comment post, and not a essay on the election cycle. I would be more than happy to reflect with you on my personal view of politics, and the knowledge of the election cycle on someone elses dime, not mine. What I SAW...and EVERYONE IN HIS DISTRICT SAW...Is a POLITICIAN DOING EXACTLY WHAT THEY ALWAYS DO...which is riding the fence on an issue until they can clearly see a winner, an then jumping over the most politically expedient side. Yes, you are right, most politicians know about the election cycle much better than most citizens, and probably Mike knows it better than me. What he doesn't understand though is the passion that goes behind the system that is setup, and how a constituency treated like dirt can and will rise up to voice their opinion loudly, even if we are ignorant of an election cycle. I lay my head down on my pillow every night knowing that I want to do the best thing in everything that I do. I question if Mike can say the same thing with any composure based on the very way he treated those in his district. Your guy is on video being an idiot to those who were concerned about this airport, and he has proven time and time again that he seems to gravitate too closely to who holds the money and power in these decisions, and away from the homeowners in his district.

I am not bought or sold, and my views are mine alone. I am NOT going to stand up and give credit to a man who I have seen on many instances give anything but empathy and concern to his districts residents. You keep saying the same thing over and over again, like your trying to imprint it on the minds of those reading this post..but it isn't working with me. I know a politician when I sniff one, and this guy stinks to high heaven.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

I appreciate the post and respect the heartfeltness of it.

You have seen a small video clip of one instance...and don't forget that you couldn't have seen such a clip if Commissioner Beaudreau wasn't out there keeping his promise from 2004. I'm also curious why he would take time out of his weekends to go find residents to show no concern for.

I'm sorry that you cannot give credit to Commissioner Beaudreau for making this decision and for doing exactly what he said he would do. You should of course but that is your decision.

Commissioner Beaudreau did NOT ride a fence as you suggest. Rather, he did what he should have done...became informed and made a decision that reflected that and was made with the best interests of D3 and the County in mind. Sorry to repeat that yet again but it's the simple truth...I can change a few of the words but the truth just won't change.

Sorry we can't agree on this but I did appreciate the well thought out post.

Oliver 2 years, 6 months ago

As ironic as it seems, I can't help but feel that Shirley Lasseter was the final nail in the coffin to keep commercial airplanes away. Despite all the "smoke" from the allegations, resignations, dropped charges, secret meetings secret votes, over-spending on pet projects, and other unflattering behavior over the last several years, her guilty plea was proof that there really is a "fire" at the BOC.

The behavior of the BOC has been criminal. They are more interested in fattening the wallets of their friends and themselves than the well-being of the county.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Say what? Commissioner Beaudreau just made a decision that was obviously well informed and undeniably in the the well-being of the county.

Stand up and give the man credit due for crying out loud. He did exactly what you want an elected official to do.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

You mean ACTUALLY represent his district in a matter that changes things FOREVER? It is a NOVEL approach I grant you, but usually expected - especially after what was posted on CBS 46 of the Propeller Plan..

And gee, it only took three other votes along for the ride to get there...

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

R...Commissioner Beaudreau made the right decision the right way for the right reasons. I'm sorry that you are now having to eat a bit of crow and are unable to give the man credit which even you know is due.

But that's your fault...not his. He did exactly what he said he would do and EXACTLY what you want an elected official to do.

jack 2 years, 6 months ago

Well I have seen the light! I must praise Commissioner Beaudreau for doing his job. Afterall, a public servant doing what he is supposed to do is praiseworthy indeed.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Jack...that is just how he operates. One of the things I like about him is that even when I might disagree with a decision he makes I know that he took the time to get as informed as he could and made the decision based on what he really thought was in the best interests of the district and county.

btw...if you're in D-3 visit the campaign site and get a yard sign.

www.mikebeaudreau.com

R 2 years, 6 months ago

How am I eating crow? the guy voted the ONLY way a reasonable intelligent party could vote - after the CBS Propeller posting sealed it.

We complain about our youngsters all getting trophies for just "showing up", so WHY should I jump out of my seat BECAUSE an ADULT politician DID his/her job right?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

You've already done so which did speak well of you but to answer you...He didn't just show up...over a significant period of time he did what he said he would do. He kept his word.

Now I do agree with you part of the way down this road...actually I really agree with it. Integrity should come with an elected official de facto. You are correct in that regard. But it's sadly becoming a forgotten thing. It shouldn't be that way at all and I share your feelings over that.

wethepeople 2 years, 6 months ago

The bottom line is that Mikey got the results from the most recent polling data generated over the weekend showing that 53% of his constituents were opposed to the airport idea. He's no idiot! He was just following the polling data.

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

This does not mean that the BOC has finally respected the will and wisdom of the people. It only means that another board member poisoned the broth and they all want to back away like scurrying rats. We need to be rid of Howard, Beaudreau and get an honest person from District one which produced the last two crooks. The BOC currently has more resignations-in-disgrace that it has honorably completed terms.

Meanwhile, we might hear more about someone wanting to use Briscoe to import drugs to Gwinnett. Listen for the first ones to deny it. The FBI may still be investigating.

What's a good way to smuggle drugs? Own the airport.

What's a quick path to corporate welfare and taxpayer subsidies? Own an airport.

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

Fly Gwinnett Backward and "Friends" should bid on the county jail. They seem better suited for that and Shirley can "show them the ropes". Her son was a landscaper and I think he was growing Weed (if you know what I mean).

samnevils 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank goodness the proposal was voted down. When you can only muster a score of 51 out of 100, it's called a failing grade. And to be quite honest, Mike Korom is still the candidate to vote for in the District 3 Race. You have Tommy Hunter who's been propped up by Developers and Real Estate Dealers and has a blemish on his record when he worked for Gwinnett. You have Jerry Oberholzter who was for Briscoe expansion before he was against it. He's also accepted contributions from the trash haulers who are part of Beaudreau's trash plan. Plus he might need a police escort to the bathroom during Commission meetings. And we have our current Commissioner who tabled lead the tabling of a vote 22 times denying a couple the opportunity for free enterprise. Called the Commission staff "insubordinate". Feels like we can't handle our own trash decision.

It's clear in this race, I'll be voting for Mike Korom!!!

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm voting for Mike Korom, too! We need to "throw the bums out" and get some new blood in there.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

You refer to people who take the time to be well-informed about an issue and vote based on what's best for D3 and the county as "Bums"?

Wow...you live in a small small world. Way to small for me.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Funny...you talked Commissioner Beaudreau and the others in the race but never said ANYTHING of why you want to vote for Korom. I think that says plenty.

Methinks you'll be in the minority in July.

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

I want a commissioner who is honest, has integrity, and is new to politics.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Methinks you count like Joe Biden...

gwinnettisgreat1 2 years, 6 months ago

LOL... Mike... I mean Sam... you still looking forward to all those business trips to convince businesses to move to 316? Give me a break. What a joke. It should be called "Learning to take business trips in the name of 316" What a novel idea!!!

R 2 years, 6 months ago

(Had lunch with Brett too many times now did we?)

R...wrong...

Mike Korom's own words show he got involved because of Briscoe...and there's nothing wrong with that at all. It is what it is.

The truth here is that he's been screaming Airport..Airport..Airport and now people are going to have to look at him in light of the full spectrum of a Commissioner's responsibilities.

Commissioner Beaudreau made a decision that even you MUST now admit was informed and CLEARLY based on what was best for D-3 and Gwinnett County.

He's in a tough position...now he has to come up with another issue he thinks separates himself and Commissioner Beaudreau...Good luck with that. I could be wrong of course but I think he's in real trouble.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

What? AND he never expounded on any other positions - at all? Are you Brett in a man suit?

Yes Briscoe was effectively the BIG red flag at the top of Stone Mountain... And on the way to it he looked around and saw the Cell tower deals and kept digging, the bait and switch trash plan etc.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Korom's own words...argue it with him...

He got in the race because of Briscoe...it is what it is. Again, there's no problem with that at all...but he just lost the major reason he got involved. Not that he had much to begin with but now he certainly doesn't have separation from Commissioner Beaudreau. Now that all of the hysteria is going to evaporate away and he's going to have a tough time keeping folks interested in his campaign....a real tough time.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Keep narrowing and qualifying your statement - you’re caught and YOU know it.

THAT’s your definition of ”integrity" in action?

You just might end up being be Mike Korom's best asset post election!

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

R...if you have a cell phone take the battery out now. otherwise the GPS will give away where you are and you might be investigated for drinking and blogging.

Are you a member of MoveOn.Org? If not you sure sound like it. Keep yelling the same truthless statement so many times until people start to believe it's true.

Korom was all about Briscoe...the other things you mention are tiny side items to the steak dinner...but now when dinner is served all he has is an empty plate with the residue of side items along the edge.

I could be wrong...this is politics after all...but I think your guy is about to become increasingly irrelevant to the public.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd Deflection doesn't become you ...

Propeller is gone, its ok to return to reality now - you'll live WITHOUT commercial traffic at Briscoe.

If smear is all you have left - you've used it up way too soon.

Now lets talk "trash" shall we? SURELY you can back your man on this "conservative" move...

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

Sigh....everyone is wrong except Floyd....He knows everything...

Please continue....Where is TeeLee when you need a real fool?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

'bout time you figured that out! HAHAHA...just joking.

The simple truth here (and why most of the hysterical parrots that have been here the past few days and no where to be found) is that Commissioner Beaudreau did exactly what he said he would do.

Now you are faced with having to admit that he did the right thing in the right way for the right reasons doing exactly what he promised. I'm not shoving your face in it...I'm happy he did it for all of us. Lets face it...promise made...promise kept...that's what he just did. Given the problems others on the board have had with integrity don't slap the guy who's doing it right!

catperson2 2 years, 6 months ago

I guess I'll pile on with my disdain for Mr. Beaudreau. Talk about being a hypocrite, he had reservations about a piece of property that would probably bring in a lot of revenue around the Atkinson Road area if an Elder-type Townhomes were built, but he gleefully cheered on the Airport expansion in it's early days. If the airport had been approved, traffic would be a bigger nightmare and the possiblity of financial disaster if this adventure failed, but that wouldn't have been a problem for him, the Gwinnett taxpayers would bail them out. He probably saw dollar signs from the promises of fictional long term jobs. I guess he's looking over his shoulder now for fear of someone checking his finances. I guess we can kind of give Shirley L. a back-handed thank you for being corrupt.

Dubbin 2 years, 6 months ago

I've always wondered why Beaudreau always says no to every little thing an independent builder wants to do but was FOR the garbage plan and was all for airport privatization until a few days ago. Maybe small builders don't buy copiers but big garbage hauling companies and airport management firms do? Always - follow - the - money.

EthicsInGwinnett 2 years, 6 months ago

It blows my mind that people can't tell the difference between "I'll listen to all the facts before making up my minds" and "I'm for it."

Beaudreau was very clear all along he'd listen to all the facts before making up his mind. He did that and voted against it.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

It's really that obvious isn't it?

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

He was for the garbage plan because the BOC (at that time with Bannister and Kennerly) promised the haulers the sun. Then when they tried to back down against their promises...the haulers sued. Naturally, these fools knew they'd lose so they stuck their loss on the homeowners and caved!

Yeah
Greg must not have attended any of Mike's evening meetings around the county if he thinks this is all Bannister's fault.

Mike takes this one front and center here.

catperson2 2 years, 6 months ago

All I can say to Mr Brett Smith, bring it on. You woke the citizens up and we aren't going to back down. So go ahead with your lawsuit, I think we can tie you up for years in the court system. And in the meanwhile, enjoy spending lots of money in Gwinnett, you seem to think there aren't any jobs around here. Look around......

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

He thinks that its a bright Idea because the trash haulers won against the BOC so he feels he can give it a shot too!!

Dubbin 2 years, 6 months ago

I still think Howard and Beaudreau were shifty in their statements about future modernization of the airport. I don't trust either one of them on this. And now I sit back and wait for Floyd to call me an idiot. ......
The fact is that Beaudreau was all for privatization, his best buddy Mike Royal endorsed Fly Gwinnett Forward and Beaudreau was all for spending well over $100,000 to have committees and studies look at the airport which was clearly a bad idea. For him to now pretend that he's always been against the airport looks like a death bed conversion to me. And now I wait for Floyd's second round of insults.

mikekorom 2 years, 6 months ago

Well it’s obvious who Floyd and Mr. Beaudreau see as their competition. Sorry Floyd. As much as you would like me to be out of the picture it’s not going to happen. I know you have looked at my opinions and stances on here, the Dacula Patch, my website www.mikekorom.com etc. and you know that I have a plan for leading District 3 that includes responsible, ethical, non-intrusive government. As I stated at the BOC meeting today, two of the commissioners, Heard and Nash had the foresight two years ago to oppose the expansion/commercialization. Lassiter, Beaudreau, and Howard were clearly proponents. Howard and Beaudreau only changed their votes as a result of the fall of Shirley Lassiter. Political expediency at its peak. Just like MB’s trash plan, SDS, Cool Ray Field, the ongoing cell tower litigation, the acquisition/expense of Collins Hill Golf Course and more are continuing to cost us taxpayers dearly. We are in a quagmire of litigation and as Brett Smith indicated we may be in even deeper litigation. Foresight and vision are key parts of leadership. Mike Beaudreau has failed District 3 on both counts. If attempting to paint me as a one issue candidate is the strategy, good luck with that one. I’m in this to stay and win. Like Ronald Reagan said, “Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

And yes I clearly stated the airport issue was the catalyst. As Beaudreau has stated his catalyst to run for commissioner was an easement issue in his neighborhood. Most people get invlolved because of a certain catalyst. Again, nice try.

EthicsInGwinnett 2 years, 6 months ago

What you're saying is as commissioner you'll announce your votes before all the facts are in and you'll only listen to one side of the issue. Thanks for clearing that up.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah those pesky voters are all so stupid who needs to listen to them right? Well they did put some of the officials in, so its possible they're stupid - till they're not.

Lord knows the lobbyists are just so poorly represented

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

R...you misread the post apparently.

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

Mike, You've got my vote. How can I get a bumpersticker?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

There you go again trying to pretend it's 2004...it's 2012. I thought you knew.

I don't want you out of the picture and I'm disappointed with you that you try to twist and exaggerate what I have said and posted.

Actually, the reason I believe that you are in trouble of becoming irrelevant is that you really have not defined a plan of responsible, ethical, non-intrusive government. You had one issue and now that the correct decision was made for the right reasons there you are with hysterical speculation that Commissioner Beaudreau changed his vote because of Lasseter. IF you have any shred of concrete evidence please post it here for all to see...if it's valid...I'll admit it. Somehow I don't think we'll get that will we?

What's a real hoot is that right after your hysterical speculation about Commissioner Beaudreau your next sentence accuses him of "political expediency". Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth. You say something you have no evidence about at all - ZERO and then have the gall to accuse someone else of political expediency. If that wasn't so incredibly sad it would be incredibly funny.

Look...I've working in the core of 9 campaigns (countless others as a small volunteer). I know how hard the campaigning is and I respect anyone for getting involved. But the truth here is that Commissioner Beaudreau just proved, for the umpteenth time, that he keeps his word, operates in integrity and is the clear leader and conservative for District 3.

elephanthead 2 years, 6 months ago

Gee, Floyd. Don't know whats gotten you so worked up the last few days, but has it occurred to yet that you aren't really helping your case here? Your entire attitude comes across as very shall we say, Beaudreau-esque. A certain air of impatience with having to educate the rubes on whats good for them. That and the repetitive demands that we 'give the man his due'. Sorry Mike - errr Floyd, your boy has had his time and that time is past. Bye now

nicholson 2 years, 6 months ago

Amen, Elephanthead. I am sick of Floyd's tired rants about Beaudreau, as if his constituents aren't already keenly aware of how Mikey actually treats us with such disdain and contempt. Repeating the same stupid phrases over and over isn't going to change the truth. And Floyd's smug, arrogant predictions about the outcome of the race are exactly the same as Beaudreau's attitude. Keep it up Floyd, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Lol...whatever...smug arrogant predictions about the outcome of the race? Can you show me where I predicted the outcome of the race? Post that comment in quotes here or admit that you mis-spoke.

The only stupid phrases that are repeated around here are things like Commissioner Beaudreau being an unwavering YES vote. There are still even a few here today that still believe that AFTER he voted No. Call that arrogant all you want but you are in a tiny minority.

Waiting on that quote.

nicholson 2 years, 6 months ago

"Methinks you'll be in the minority in July" "You keep dreaming that dream and talk to me on August 1st"

You can talk smack all you want, it only further motivates the many dissatisfied constituents in Mikey's district to come out and vote against him. Go ahead, call us a tiny minority, please keep it up.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

The minority in july comment comment was made in response to someone who typed a Mike Korom talking points post listing the "reasons" why they wouldn't vote for anyone else but never saying any reason why they would support MK. And that kind of person will most definitely be in the minority in July.

nicholson 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for proving my original point once again - you did make the smug predictions and you are arrogant. Now come on and give your boy credit where it is due - he cost the county taxpayers millions in legal costs with his trash plan. I don't see you defending that so zealously here. What's the matter, does the parrot have your tongue?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

elephant...Not worked up...defending a man who, on this blog at least, is constantly belittled by people clearly with no evidence whatsoever...mainly just hysterical parrots. How many people here kept accusing Commissioner Beaudreau of being a YES vote and when they were proven completely wrong they nearly all disappear.

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

Next Floyd will be defending Lasseter and her son.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm still waiting for that evidence that Commissioner Beaudreau changed his vote from YES to NO on the commercialization of Briscoe based solely on Lasseter's corruption. When will that be posted?

Cleanupguy 2 years, 6 months ago

Funny, I'm also waiting for your response to Pragmatic's post:

"@Floyd - While I appreciate your allegiance to Mr. Beaudreau, his uninformed rants over the Service Delivery Strategy to include his calling opposing politicians names like a school child (I have copies) and lying to the public and other officials (again, copies intact) left a very bitter taste in my mouth for him and his failure to 1) gather the facts and 2) failure to listen to opposing opinions in a discussion. I believe he was spoon-fed information by the former county administrator, but shame on him for not looking into it himself, and getting the facts himself. That, Floyd, is a sign of integrity. Mr. Beaudreau has not shown me any integrity. I cannot support him."

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm not keen on someone who accuses others of lying frankly. It didn't deserve a response.

Furthermore, I think I've been more than responsive to just about everything that's been posted around here. Even you will have to admit that.

roaads1 2 years, 6 months ago

There isn't any Floyd. These anonymous internet tough guys talk about MB as if they know him. When in fact everyone that knows him personally when asked what kind of person he is always leads with his integrity. That is what defines him. These people are just running their mouths because it's easy here. If you disagree with him talk about that issue. You shouldn't talk about his character unless you actually know him personally.

Geezer 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh, so now that the BOC says we do not wish to expand the airport or commercialize it, PA hints that it may sue the county. That's quite a company that some of you commissioners were ready to jump into bed with. Does that give you pause for thought?

And as for PA. Beware other communities. If you show an interest in expanding your airport or commercializing it,and allow PA to bid on it but decide not to - then PA may threaten to sue you.

Does that make you want to do business with PA?

If I were on the BOC and favoring the PA proposal, I think I would want to go take a shower to wash off the stink.

Mack711 2 years, 6 months ago

Anybdy heard from teepee or teelee? Hey where are you? Nothing to say or cat got your tounge. Any way you look at it the citizens have been heard and the BOC also heard the citizens, for now, but do not think we have heard the last of this. It will come up again and we better be ready.

jack 2 years, 6 months ago

They foreclosed on his house.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

If you are joking about this I wish you would reconsider that in the future. Pick up the thursday edition of the GDP and see how think it is with foreclosure listings. And when you do remember that it wasn't that long ago that it was 25% more.

jack 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't you have some dogs to wash?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Jack...today is the monthly courthouse auction. That was my point...sorry I didn't include that in my initial reply

gordon7 2 years, 6 months ago

Now, that's a great comment. LOL

YouKnowWho 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, what a surprise, almost the whole crew is here. Rich Carithers aka "R" has brought his Korom campaign to the Daily post and Floyd Ackridge is fighting for truth, justice and the American way. Where's Kevin Osborn?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

lol...perhaps we should all get together and play some cards!

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Well for the last time I'm really not Rich Carithers but you can't fix stupid - thank you for playing!

YouKnowWho 2 years, 6 months ago

Whatever you say, Rich, I mean R, I mean Kevin .....

R 2 years, 6 months ago

Leave it to Floyd to show up for a fight for "Truth, Justice and the American Way" with Kryptonite in tow...

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Leave it up to R to show up for a fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way with nothing.

R 2 years, 6 months ago

AW Thanks for mention Floyd love ya back!

gordon7 2 years, 6 months ago

@ Floyd,,,,, I am sure Jack was referring to the "hysterical" comments from a certain proponent of commercialization. "Foreclosures" was his mantra. Jack's comment was one of the most clever I have read in a while.

gordon7 2 years, 6 months ago

Jack's comment is one of the most clever I have seen in a long time. LOL I, too, tired of the "hysterical" comments about foreclosures from a certain proponent of commercialization. I was also called a moron, uninformed, trashy, unintelligent, lower class, etc, etc

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

can you give me a link for that...apparently I missed it. My point, which I didn't explain well at first, was that today was the monthly auction at the county courthouse. There are so many homes being lost at each auction...it pains me as I cannot describe.

Thanks for the link...appreciate it.

NewsReader 2 years, 6 months ago

Your point got lost a long time ago in all the drivel you post!

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

I wish those attacking me would get their story straight...others are attacking me for saying the same point (credit) again and again.

Btw...awfully brave of you to make such comments while hiding behind a nickname. Typical.

gordon7 2 years, 6 months ago

Just go to the FGF page on Facebook and read the postings for the last year or so. You can't miss it.

gordon7 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd...I do see what you are saying about Beaudreau waiting to get the facts before he made up his mind, but here's the point: He didn't listen to his constituency....which clearly did not want the airport to go commercial. In other words, he ignored the wishes of the people who elected him..... thinking he was wiser and better knew what was good for them than they did themselves. This should have been put to rest a long time ago.

nicholson 2 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree, Gordon. Beaudreau thinks he is so much smarter than his constituents. The trash plan is a prime example. He led the way for the government takeover and the county ended up paying millions in legal fees to clean up the mess. He did not listen to his constituents, and in fact, has never bothered to reply to any emails that I have ever written him.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Gordon...you assume that D3 residents didn't want commercialization en masse. I don't think that is the case. Unfortunately there is no real reliable data either way but I don't think it was the slam dunk one might think.

Skimmer90 2 years, 6 months ago

Call me whatever but I believe the vote's outcome was 4-0 because the sitting commissioners do not want to face the voters in November. They will hide until they have better footing on the other side of the election. Gwinnett, get rid of all sitting commissioners up for re-election. These are the people that didn't want or need your input to spend $60M on a baseball stadium, increased your property tax bills with sanitation services that should be paid directly to the haulers all the while our property values are down in some situations more than 50%, and would have shoved this privatization down your throat if not for Lassiter's resignation.

Clean house and put this issue to bed for good.

Geezer 2 years, 6 months ago

You know the love of money (greed) has been called the root of all evil.

If Shirley L had not been found out then the company that is now threatening Gwinnett with a lawsuit might be running our airport.

I think we have seen greed in the selfish interests of those who would commercialize publicly paid for property for questionable purposes. And if the commercialization venture proved to be an economic failure, who would have absorbed the losses?

The company? I doubt it. The Gwinnett taxpayers would have been saddled with the burden of making up the difference in higher taxes.

Three BOC members in two years is a disgrace, and don't get me started on the real estate developers before that..

People better step back and take an objective view of what they are electing to office.

Today it was an airport commercialization project in one district. Tomorrow it may be a sewage treatment plant in another district.

And it all comes down to greed.

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

You are so right--it all comes down to greed. We will have to watch the BOC like hawks. I think the problem for voters is that some of these people we elect were probably honest before they were elected. They didn't become corrupt until they got into office. Then they allowed themselves to be seduced by the money and the power.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Katrina...you are very correct...most people were honest and right minded when they were elected. I've watched more than one person (both elected and not elected) get involved with not just good by way good and pure motives and character to not handle things correctly and get corrupted. The sad thing is that it started with small...maybe even tiny compromises. It's not the last domino in the string that's the issue...it's the FIRST one.

Thankfully Commissioner Beaudreau has not knocked over that first domino...I've been watching. As I helped him get into office I consider it my personal responsibility to do so.

bettergwinnett 2 years, 6 months ago

Today Brett Smith criticized the BOC for failing it fiduciary responsibility and requested a referendum on Briscoe expansion.

I just want to make sure everyone understands our form of government is a republic and not a democracy. In a republic it is the government's responsiblity to "protect" the minority, not to serve the the will of the majority. This said a referendum would not be appropriate for this decision.

Also government has no responsiblity to maximize the value of an asset. Asset maximization is an economic concept, so the BOC did not violate any fiduciary standards.

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

bettergwinnett - the pledge of allegience is the only place you'll find that expressly stated.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Good point about the maximizing of asset valuation

mikekorom 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks Katrina! I don't have bumper stickers. I do have signs. Let me know if you want one. Please spread the word!

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

Let me make sure it's okay with our HOA to have political signs. I think it is, but let me double-check. If it is, I'd love a yard sign!

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

Brett Smith is a complete business failure and everything he touches turns to poo. If he sues we'll sue him back.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

lol...yep...he sure didn't show himself well today...

I bet we never see a lawsuit about this.

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree. What would the grounds be? Brett seems to like the upside of the free market system, but hates the downside (losing money). I'm sure there were expenses to his proposal, but $2 million?! What was he spending it on?

rco1847 2 years, 6 months ago

Now somebody has to explain to the Columbian backers what happened to their money and their airport.

JET 2 years, 6 months ago

WOW! Guess what? Now you can start paying for the upgrades the BOC said they were doing! Thanks again. We could of been out of this!

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd, You seem to be a true believer in Mike Beaudreau, but here's my reason for not giving him any credit for his vote yesterday. This airport commercialization would have harmed egregiously thousands of people in his district. Why did he have to ponder it all this time, when Charlotte Nash and John Heard did not? He should have been against this from the get-go or at least early on. In addition, his body language during the public comments portion of commissioner meetings is so obnoxious that one lady sitting near me told me she'd "like to slap him." He doesn't appear to suffer his constituents gladly. He squirms, he rolls his head around, he gets up and wanders off--he's either incredibly rude or he has ADHD. The only good thing I can say about him is that he has answered my e-mails. I believe he voted the way he did yesterday out of political expedience. That's why I want someone new to politics, and that's one of the reasons why I am voting for Mike Korom.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice thoughtful post Katrina...appreciated. btw...I couldn't find the post in the hundreds here but I thought I remembered jumping on you a bit hard on something yesterday. My apologies if I did.

(1) I'm thinking that perhaps the question should be why didn't Chairwoman Nash and Commissioner Heard take more time to study. You, of course, liked their position but did they really take the time to study it or did they take a position that was politically correct? Neither of them has a degree in airport management or to my knowledge Economics. On what did they based an informed decision upon? I really like the fact that Commissioner Beaudreau took the time to become informed on the issue, ask for and review proposal(s) and make a decision that was in the best interests of the county and D3. (To R's point....this shouldn't be earth shattering but in politics today it is).

(2) I haven't seen the specific instance you watched so I'm commenting in general...one thing I can tell you about Mike is that he thinks very fast...I'm the same way...I know I have had a REAL struggle during the past 18 months trying to become aware of mannerisms similar to what you've observed. I know this may sound tough to believe but since he's not in front of a mirror at the BOC meetings he may not really understand how it looks. Not having watched that specific time I can't say that for sure but I know how I am at times.

(3) Katrina, the commission is a part-time job done on top of a full time job. Furthermore, Mike is involved in a metric ton of community activities in addition to being a new father. Trust me...the emails he's able to send back out to D3 residents are from someone already working 1 and 1/2 jobs. That's all the evidence you need to know he really listens.

(4) I know there are others who believe political expediency was the motivator. But I know the man...He didn't bow to the rush to say no. He took the time to get informed and make the right decision for the right reasons.

gordon7 2 years, 6 months ago

@ Floyd...see teelee's comments about three or four entries below. You'll see what Jack meant by his comment last night.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Ahhh...thanks. Again...my bad for not initially stating that today was the monthly auction at the courthouse.

wethepeople 2 years, 6 months ago

Hold on their folks, why do we need an airport in the first place? And why do we need to spend additional taxpayer dollars on an aging facility with minor amounts of corporate traffic? Let those guys land at PDK and rent a car to come up here. As for the weekend warriors, they need to pack up their Cessnas and Pipers and move to Winder or Gainesville. Enough of all this subsidizing nonsense.

Sell the land to some developer and let it go at that! The airport doesn't contribute one dime to economic development so why even bother.And the Chamber's idea of economic development is to bring companies from Asia over here. Heck, we got the Stadium and the Mall of Georgia to promote.

teelee 2 years, 6 months ago

Congratulation to the The hysterical Lawrenceville 300 who won this round thanks in part to Shirley Lassiter and the pathetic way this whole issue was handled. Gwiinnett can continue to be number one in the state of Georgia for home foreclosures and personal bankruptcies for now. The public bus system can continue to run near empty and operate at a loss and weeds will remain the only thing growing around Briscoe Field.

The issue of privatization will come back to Briscoe Field again and when it does I hope it will be handled in a better and more professional way than it was. We don't need a repeat of the circus that we have all witnessed for the last three years.

Cleanupguy 2 years, 6 months ago

Best of all, no more recorded mindless messages from teepee! Maybe in 10 or 20 years you'll come up with some new rhetoric.

jljustis 2 years, 6 months ago

You can give it a rest now WeePee.

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah...you've come back!! The last of the village idiots.

The only circus that we have witnessed is yours...on this board!

Go away now...its over!!

gordon7 2 years, 6 months ago

Were you at 12 Stone Church last April? That was a whole lot more than 300, or even 3000 people!

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

And some of those people represented entire subdivisions which were opposed to the airport expansion. I also knew a number of people who were against it but thought "you can't fight city hall." Scratch the surface and there were/are thousands of people opposed to this airport expansion.

Geezer 2 years, 6 months ago

I do think that the land that the airport sits on would make a nice county park with perhaps a quality baseball and softball complex for Gwinnett youth. In the Fall and early Winter there could either be a Fall baseball and softball league or youth football and soccer.

There could be a playground for the little ones and plenty of picnic tables and barbeque pits for families.

Outdoor movies and entertainment could be presented during the summer months.

I agree. Let's do away with the airport and make the property a recreational venue for all of Gwinnett's people.

There are airports in surrounding counties that the current users can utilize.

Let's start a movement for this. Who is willing?

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Mike Korom...in a post to me yesterday you directly accused Commissioner Beaudreau of political expediency. Your direct quote was "(Howard and)...Beaudreau only changed their votes as a result of the fall of Shirley Lassiter."

I have asked you twice now to provide concrete evidence that what you've said is true. Instead of doing so, you have said nothing while making appearances on this blog to post to others.

I'm challenging you again to provide concrete evidence that Commissioner Beaudreau that changed his vote only as a result of the fall of Shirley Lasseter. Please post that evidence here for all to see.

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd....you know what. You are correct. I don't think anyone can provide proof that Mike B changed his mind because of the fall of Lasseter. OK.

Now...the COURT of Public Opinion...that is a different story. As a political strategist..you very well know that people will look on the surface and form an opinion. The opinion is that Mike did exactly what has been stated. It makes no difference what you say or how you try to defend him. He has shown himself to many times to be arrogant, non caring and too overly about himself to his constituents.

You can go on and say..."oh...well its 8yrs of service vs. a few video clips on the patch" however those clips are there to be viewed over and over again. Also, watch some of the meetings at the Gwinnett County Website.

Mike B has an image problem that is not going to go away because you keep defending him because YOU keep saying how much YOU like him. You are also not going to change peoples minds by acting just like him either. You are only contributing to his image problem.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

You know what...I would have had no issue if he had stated it like you posted..something like "in my opinion..." but look at what he said. "...only changed their votes because of the fall of Shirley Lasseter". ONLY...that's a definitive word there Greg...

Notice also in his very next sentence he accused Commissioner Beaudreau of political expediency while he's doing exactly the same.

Greg...you point to a small clip and I point out that you missed the fact that in order to have a clip to view you've captured Commissioner Beaudreau keeping his campaign promise from way back in 2004...8 years of keeping promises isn't relevant? Huh?

BTW...it's not liking...it's knowing. I like him too of course but my defense is from knowing him.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

sorry...7 1/2 years of keeping promises...kinda splitting hairs but if I'm asking others to be accurate I should as well.

GregRodgers 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd...really? 8yrs of promises. Again you've been in politics for a long time. Its a cycle...people remember the last things that you have done. Its not about a few clips in the patch. Its about Mike and is demeanor at countless Board Meetings, the calling people names, calling staff insubordinate because they didn't move as fast as he wanted them too without having clear directives and completely acting as if he is above the people who voted him in.

Its about stealling cell phone towers from folks who already had a deal, getting into the socialist forced trash program, which had us in one lawsuit with the haulers and now a new one with the folks with the cell tower.

He comes from a time when he sat with Kennerly, Bannister and Lasseter and now this two year long battle with the airport in which people saw him as a complete ignoramous.

Friend or not....YOU have to admit....it does not make him look very good at all.

Seriously.....

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Greg...you are correct...it's generally the what have you done for me lately that is remembered first...that's why I'm pointing it out...

I have to disagree with your assertion that people saw him as an ignoramous....or at least the number. I further believe that the large majority of people will remember him as doing what he said he would do...Time will tell of course.

The fact that he sat with Kennerly, Bannister and Lasseter is meaningless. Remember, the grand jury looked at him already, as it was investigating everyone and found nothing. Instead of trying to associate him with all that crapola you should be encouraged that he didn't participate. That is what we want in a public servant.

Also, the fact that people sue because they don't like the decisions is nothing new. They were doing it before Mike was ever there. it's just part of doing business nowadays.

It will be an interesting election though.

toby 2 years, 6 months ago

If Brett sues the county and a paid off judge gives it to him, then the taxpayers own an airport. So what was this circus all about? Shoot the lawyers first.

gwinnettisgreat1 2 years, 6 months ago

So good 'ol Mike votes against the airport because the water got choppy and now Mike Korom thinks he is going to run around to businesses and convince them to move off of 316 so he can pump their company full of no experience college grads. Awesome.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

Commissioner Beaudreau voted against the proposal because he took the time to get informed and make a decision that clearly showed he had the best interests of D3 and Gwinnett County at heart.

gwinnettisgreat1 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd, you probably watch your favorite baseball team and convince yourself that the umpire's cost them every game that they lose. Get some perspective.

Floyd_Akridge 2 years, 6 months ago

The silence from Mr. Korom is telling isn't it.

gwinnettisgreat1 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't exactly remember Mike telling his views. That silence was pretty telling as well. Until Shirley girl messed it up. Then he was forced to think about re-election. LOL... gotta love politics.

Katrina 2 years, 6 months ago

Floyd, There will never be concrete proof of Mike Beaudreau's reasons for his vote because he played it so close to the vest. We'd need psychic powers to discover the reasons. Meanwhile, what we had to go on were his actions and his atrocious body language (as you and I have discussed) at BOC meetings. In April, when a speaker asked Mike to quit rolling his head around, the remark resonated with the audience because Mike's body language screamed that he was bored to tears and would rather be elsewhere. His body language was upsetting, since he had the fate of our quality of life and our property values in his hands. In addition, he was one of the three that rushed forward with the RFP after the IMG report last year should have given them all pause. When I told him at one of his park meetings that I thought the rush forward with the RFP was "unseemly," he looked at me like I was crazy. I still say he should have been against the airport expansion from the get-go because it was obvious on its face that the expansion would harm egregiously thousands of constituents in his district. The proposal should have been unacceptable to him. A bunch of wealthy investors from New York are not the backbone of this community; we are.

majtaj 2 years, 6 months ago

It's kind of like a married man who goes to a singles bar, ends up in the bedroom of another woman and right before hopping in bed with her he remembers he was married. Did he cheat? Technically no. Is his wife going to believe him if he says all along he was not going to go through with it?

MichaelMarr 2 years, 6 months ago

Lawsuit? There's no right to privatize a public airport. Their property rights have not been violated. Unless they were given certain assurances from influential persons or entities and want to sue for their money back.

More fun for the US Attorney. Get the TV cameras ready.