Shirley Lasseter resignation letter

The following is Shirley Lasseter's official resignation letter that was emailed to County Administrator Glen Stephens obtained by the Gwinnett Daily Post.

Dear Glen,

It is with a heavy heart that I tender my resignation as District One Commissioner of Gwinnett County. As of today, I have been charged in federal district court with a bribery offense. Because of my conduct, I can no longer represent my constituents. I deeply regret the harm I have caused to those I have served, and the trust I have betrayed. Please know that I am ashamed of my actions. I am doing everything I can to right the wrongs in which I have engaged. I am not able to provide more details about my pending charge. I wish I could have discussed this matter with you sooner, but I was not able to do so due to the sentisive nature of the case. If you have any questions, please contact my attorneys, Stephen Johnson or Jake Waldrop. Please accept this e-mail as my formal resignation as District One Commissioner of Gwinnett County.

Sincerely,

Shirley Lasseter

Comments

citized 2 years, 2 months ago

It should have read Dear Glen: I am a crook who got caught. Had I not been caught I would still be sitting at my post.

jjbod1 2 years, 2 months ago

ROFLMAO, you hit the nail on the head so far, it went straight in with one shot : )

pac 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with citized 100%. They are always ashamed when they get caught. Now she is talking to the Feds about other land deals that went down. I hope the county plans to sue to get the money we over spent on all these deals. Also how in the world is she allowed to appoint her son to anything?

pac 2 years, 2 months ago

One more thing, why does she need or get a free public defender? I assume she has an income and assets. I think it says, "if you cannot afford" an attorney.

Bojangle1 2 years, 2 months ago

Dear Glen: Law enforcement and the prosecutors are smarter than we thought. Please let the others know, just in case...

BufordGuy 2 years, 2 months ago

That's weird. Never heard of the boss tendering a letter of resignation to their employee. Why wasn't that tendered to Charlotte Nash or the Board as a whole?

mickey 2 years, 2 months ago

Great question...Glen is exactly where Charlie put him.....he was GC attorney involved in land and property law.....purposely moved to Director of Planning and Development....gee, then made County Administrator and guess who comes in next ...yep Aaron . We are not done cleaning up yet!!!!!!

PBQSO 2 years, 2 months ago

So glad to read that you plan to "right the wrongs" in which you were involved as my elected representative to the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners. Does that mean that the pawn shop at 888 Pleasant Hill Road will lose the special use permit you pushed through with your friends Charlie and Mike ("District courtesy") in February 2010 -- despite the Planning and Zoning Board's unanimous vote two weeks earlier to deny that exception to the existing land use plan? On 02/23/10, when constituents from your district opposed that special use permit, you acknowledged the "stigma" associated with pawn shops and addressed it as follows -- "We need to try to take that away." That's a direct quote from the next day's edition of the GDP.

As I recall, at the P & Z hearing, the person who filed the request for the variance was exposed as a "straw applicant." That didn't even slow you down two weeks later when the issue came before the Commission. I haven't accessed the archived video of that meeting -- but I clearly remember you suggesting that pawn shops were going to be a part of our future economic reality.

Thanks again for that "vision" for my neighborhood. You can claim "sorry" and "remorse" and "embarassment" as you prepare for your upcoming sentencing. But I don't think any of us in my part of District 1 will buy it, so long as we still need to drive past that pawn shop at 888 Pleasant Hill Road. And after Thursday's news, can you blame us for thinking that it might just have been a practice round for the Boggs Road attempt that got you caught?

R 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe she was allowed only One email ...(smiles)

Clifd1936 2 years, 2 months ago

Not ashamed while comitting the crime, only after getting caught.

kevin 2 years, 2 months ago

She wants to right the wrongs!! The votes are done and the issues decided upon your votes. Too late for that. I want to know how she plans on making her wrongs, right? Just more same old politic talk. Do not re-elect politicians and put an end to this nonsense.

roaads1 2 years, 2 months ago

Can Danny Porter go after her too ? Since she committed so many crimes in Gwinnett it seems like he could and maybe even should.

Coolray 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm not clear on why she resigned. If there is a culture of corruption in Gwinnett County then why should she be sacrificed? If pay to play is the way things get done here whats the crime? The entire commission, the state house and senate delegations, the judges and school board should resign or no one should resign.

As I see this she only committed one sin: she forgot that she not a part of the good ole (white) boys club and she paying a heavy price for forgetting.

roaads1 2 years, 2 months ago

I think a sticking point would be she agreed to be a party to drug smuggling and money laundering. Both federal crimes. If you notice that no local agency has mentioned prosecuting her. That must be the difference.

Sara56 2 years, 2 months ago

Those good ole white boys did not commit a crime. She forgot she was not a part of a club that managed to do their elected duties without illegally profiting from their position. Is that what you meant?

debbiestorm 2 years, 2 months ago

u think now the county can afford dashcams/audio/video camera phones or something for all police officers? gwinnett still has along way to go to clean up this county

rco1847 2 years, 2 months ago

Dear Glen: My greatest regret is getting caught.